Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I've just got done reading through the WOL 4.0 post. Let me first say that all those people need to chill the f*ck out.

I personally feel that all hacks should only be available to members that hold a valid license, whether it be current or not.
Warez users of UBB should not have a right to them and something needs to be done to stop that, or at least make it harder on them.

My solution...
Make the database private and store all hacks in there. The only way to gain access to the database then would be to submit your UBB url and proof of your license.
Then when someone makes a hack, they upload it to the database, and start a discussion thread for it.

Would this work? Am I crazy? Has this aready been thought of?

I've seen it before, people are ungrateful so the designers leave all together.
This would suck because I sure as hell cant make a WOL hack. I just want to see it get addressed now before its too late and everyone gets pissed.

Thanks for reading my post.
qasic you did a damn good job, keep it up.

Sponsored Links
I agree, but what does this have to do with Mod ideas?

Where should it go? confused
Maybe I can delete and repost in the right forum. Or maybe a mod can move it.
This was the best area I could think of.

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
quote:
you run a warez website, yet you think warez users shouldnt get hacks? umm, that makes a lot of sense...

I dont use a warez version of UBB. I paid for my UBB.
What the UBB is used for is not the point as long as its a legit copy.
My site isnt whats being discussed here, its how we should handle the distribution of UBB hacks.

Sponsored Links
Why bother anyway. If we do that people with pirated UBB's will still get them from numerous ways.

To name a couple:

1) A freind with a liscence
2) A website with hacks on it
3) Warez sites that documented the hacks

The list goes on... there would be no point.

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
quote:
i was pointing out the content of your site as it presents a dichotomy that you encourage warez on your site, yet you dont think people should pirate Ubb, and if they do you want to make it harder for them...so if i rob stores thats cool, but since i bought something at 7-11 the other day it would be wrong to rob them? dont get me wrong, i have nothing against warez (in fact i believe its an integral part of the software industry) but i do have a problem with hypocracy. own up to your actions, dont rationalize them and hide behind half-truths....

i have a feeling i got way, way off topic here, what was the question again? smile

quote:
He has a point here, It's nearly impossible to keep hacks from people who have Warez versions of UBB. Qasic's Hack will soon be discovered and given to all warez, Isn't that how you think they get the UBB in the first place?

yeah, warez people can get anything. No need in hiding it, because even people who pay for UBB have some warez sites out there, and they would just as likely post the hacks on their legal ubb/warez site, lol tipsy

They get the hacks because they have a license, but they are in the warez scene so they give them away. :rolleyes:

I'm Milton's alter Ego wink
I agree with all of you but yes hiding hacks would sooner or later come to an end. I have another question for the top starter...what if a non licenced ubb holder made a good hack?

Sponsored Links
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker

[*] Some warez people, like you, have a license, and they (not you) can post the hacks in warez sites and increase their views.

[*]It will be new hackers' challenge to hack it.

[*]I don't think we need pirate people's hacks.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My UBB is on a private intranet.

I am certainly not going to post my license number anywhere other than accessing the infopop member area.

In addition to being available at ubbdev, most of the hacks are typically available at the respective authors websites. Even if you tried to limit access to the dbase here, there are multiple sites from which one can access the files.

Besides, there is a difference between a corporate entity trying to protect their commercial product and the work of a few gifted people. Infopop has a commercial product which they charge for and its use is limited to the license agreement. The hacks are distributed for free.

If you have concerns about pirated ubb's, then you should contact piracy@infopop.com with the appropriate details.

-Tacks

quote:
yep true

quote:
touché

quote:
100% correct

hey the3jams
i see that u r running your ubb6.xx on a raq3
thats not very advisable :rolleyes:

[ July 02, 2001 04:48 PM: Message edited by: hmiguelito ]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849