Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Example;
You have 10 categories, each category has 5 forums, and this makes a total of 50 forums.
You dont want all those 50 forums to be loaded on the forum summary page, there you only want 5 categories to be shown with their related forums.

The other 5 categories with their related forums you want to make available to the users thrue your menusystem, topbar menu or slide in menu etc.

Anyone able to make such a hack, or tell us how to do this?

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

Sponsored Links
[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

Ummm, didn't you already post this?

quote:
I see that, but that thread header does not tell anybody what the issue is about, so no one could have known that without actally reading the whole thread.

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

Sponsored Links
I have started working on this on my own.
I am NOT A CODER, and dont understand perl, but I SHALL have this function in the board before it goes online.
Actually, I have gotten this to almost work, but not quite yet.

I started by looking what files that made calls to read or write to categories.file in NonCGI dir. Then I looked for those files that made calls to the first files(that are making calls to categories.file
Something like this;
FilegroupC make call to FilegroupB
FilegroupB make call to FilegroupA
FilegroupA make call to categories.file

Then I duplicated all those files related to these calls, and named them with a fileending like ultimatebb2a.cgi, cp_vars_forums2a.cgi and so forth.
Inside those files, I changed the calls to the original files, so all the calls where made to the new created *cgi and *pl files instead.
This included a duplicate categories.file that I named categories2a.file.

After this process done, I ended up with two control panels, the original, and the one called via cp2a.cgi
cp2a works totally well, and uses the same datafiles/memberfiles/forums etc as the original control panel.

I have gotten it so far, that I am able to call up ultimatebb2a.cgi, and having the main forum summary page to show up.
But my testcategory in categories2a.file will not show up, so the page is totally cleaned for categories and forums.
Otherwise it look and works simmlary to the original MAIN forum summary page.

I understand that the problem is due to some confusion in what way those two "mainpages" are reading from vars_forums.cgi where all the forumslistings are stored.
As I didnt want to make a mess of this thing, I choosed to have both the mainboard, and the "subboard" to be related to the same vars_forums.cgi, and did not make a duplicate of this one.

I perfectly know that this is just the top of an iceberg of what has to be done to make it work....but I have started, and just need som guidence on my way

My question now is:
Is there a way, to put in another datafield in the vars_forums.cgi, that for each forum tells the calling process whether this forum belongs to the "mainboard" forum summary, or the "subboard" forum summary, and what categories.file it belongs to?
Like this;
Code
code:
Notice that the listing has got SUBBOARD A and SUBBOARD B as two new datafields at the ending

And having a choise(a checkboks) in the CP forum listing to decide what forumsummary this forum belongs to?

I perfectly know that this is just the top of an iceberg of what has to be done to make it work....but I have started, and just need som guidence on my way.

Are there other suggestions and ideas for what I have to do, and ways to go furter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
And please, if you can do it bether and faster..please do so, as I am more interested in the sollution than the coding, althoug coding is fun too. laugh

..a little bump on this one laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63