Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49194 08/21/2001 5:42 PM
Is there a way to make a dice rolling hack? I know it could be helpful for running a game at gaming UBB's with a role playing board (and if people want to game there as well).

Now, dice are usually in the flavors of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20 and 100 sided. But there are times when you need different ones, like a 3 sider. I'll use [roll] as the tag, but I'm thinking [dice] could also work.

So, we could be looking at something like..

[roll]2d4[/roll]

The script comes up with the result of 7.

Result: 7

Simple enough. There's more....

Sometimes you need to add to a result.

[roll]3d6 + 1[/roll]

Shouldn't be too hard to add 1 to a result of say 11 (from the 3d6).

Result: 12

There are some systems that don't go by the totals but by the die results themselves, namely anything by White Wolf/Black Dog. They use only 10 sided dice and everything is based on a difficulty. Meet that number or pass it, you succeed. Simple. And it also requires a certain number of successes out of a dice pool.

So, here's what we would be looking at, using [pool] for the tag (as in dice pool).

[pool]6d10[/pool]

Results: 8 5 10 3 8 9

That way, we know how many successes, failures or botches (1's) we have - for the ST system.

There are other systems that go by the dice pool. Shattered Dreams does. Star Wars does. Star Trek does.

One last thing, and this would be the harder part...

Is it possible to make it so it cannot be edited, save by a moderator, mainly for the purpose of preventing cheating? Just something I thought of, in case it does come up.

While this could be best used for role playing, it could come in handy for getting a random number if someone needs it, or if people are bored, they can play dice games in a thread. Who knows...

There are numerous dice bots and dice scripts available for IRC that do much the same exact thing, but I don't know if they can do both a simple roll (for totals) or a dice pool (for results). But they are there in case you'd need something to look at for writing this.

As for editing, or lack thereof...

Have the script display the result with HTML coding that we cannot duplicate with UBB code, that way we can tell if someone simply typed it and didn't roll. Or else if it's uneditable, it shouldn't show up if I hit the edit button - if it's there, then someone's gone and faked their roll.

It's only kinky the first time...
Sponsored Links
#49195 09/01/2002 3:18 AM
Chu Offline
this is an AWESOME idea, i was just looking for the same thing.... hmm.. wonder if anyone has looked at this

#49196 09/02/2002 2:13 AM
Hmm well it's a good idea, but probably only the experianced coders can do this one.

#49197 09/16/2002 1:55 AM
Chu Offline
here.. check this out: http://chu.kumoriscove.org/dice.htm

AIM me @ "Outou No Chu" for the files ^-^

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63