Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
It would be nice to see every hack topic has a flag or something in the header, or in the first introduction message, that states if the hack is 6.0x compatible or not.

Many of us dont want to upgrade to 6.1 yet, and some will not upgrade at all.

Everyone that is not upgrading to 6.1 for any reason still wants to know if the new hack is compatible.

...so just a suggestion...

MasterMind did this with his UBBNews hack, and that was nice to see

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you just figure out based on what forum they might be in?

quote:
When a new hack is made, its a good guess to beleve that it will be posted in the 6.1 forums. Even if it could be 6.0x compatible, you can not demand or take it for granted, that the hackauthor also will post the hack in the 6.0x forums.

Now, if the hack actually is compatible, but only posted in 6.1 forums, and there is no statement that tells you if it is 6.0x compatible or not, it is NOT possible in TERMS OF LOGIC, to conclude that the hack is NOT compatible.

I have no confidence in a philosophy of life that create thoughts like; "I conclude that I cant use this hack, course I dont see it posted in the 6.0x forums"
And I dont belief others have confidence in that either.

Therefore I made this suggestment.

quote:

New hacks in 6.1 will not be compatiable with the 6.0x series. Mainly because some simple things were changed and I am sure the Author of the hack won't make it for 6.0x or take the time to check it out...

quote:
Your argumentation is based upon the following;

Premises:
1. If you drop an egg on the floor, the egg will break.
2. This egg is broken

Conclusion:
Someone MUST have dropped this egg on the floor!

I find that very interesting...could you tell me what books I can read to learn more about that kind of logic? laugh

[EDIT]
Just fixed a typo
Thanks Travis
[/EDIT]

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
quote:
They can slow themselves down before they hit the floor? I never knew that... smile

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Travis ]

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
Kahuna
Kahuna
Anyways all (or most) of the hacks in the UBB 6.1 forums are rewrites of the hacks for UBB 6.0x, so your suggestion right now would be pointless, and I *highly* doubt, anyone is going to release a new mod for UBB 6.1 beta that isn't a rewrite.

I don't see why you wouldn't upgrade to UBB 6.1.0 when it's final, seeing how it will be better to run than UBB 6.0x.

Also how is the Author of the hack gonna be able to tell if it DOES work on UBB 6.0? Are you suggesting they make an extra test board, that is a UBB 6.0x?

The UBB is approving, which brings new releases. It's sorta like UBB 5 to 6, all (or most) authors will stop releasing hacks for UBB 6.0x, and will be working on UBB 6.1.0 instead.

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
quote:
I dont think that is an important issue at all. We have already seen "rewrites" of 6.0x hacks for UBB 6.1 with new functions included that is not included in the comparing 6.0x hacks.
Everyone are interested to have every new function made for a hack, also people using 6.0x boards.
quote:
Ofcourse, almost everyone wants to upgrade, me to. But I have a family, a house, kids, busy at work etc. etc., and I dont have enough money for everything at the moment. Also I have used enough time hacking and testing and implementing, among a lot of other things I also working on in my speartime, time that my family think I could have spent with them instead. They dont want me to start hacking a new board from ground up.

I am 37. Here are a lot of young people that have NO MONEY at all. They have payd a lot of money for their UBB, they are paying for webhosting, and a lot of other things young people wants to spend their small amount of money on.
Many of them cant afford members area subscription to be able to upgrade.

Many of them are very talented people, and have made enormous amount of time an effort to make their boards into spaceships. Some of them dont want to start the whole process doing it again and again.
Many of them probably will stay with their 6.0x boards

And what about the 5.xx boards?
I still see a lot of those boards around, and there are still a lot of traffic in the 5 forums here at UBBDev. That actually says that there are a lot of people that havent even upgraded to the 6.0x boards, and their STILL MAKING HACKS, and fixin and helping and developing for that old "sh*it". It isnt sh*it for them, they love it. Why havent those people upgraded?

quote:
How many 6.0x boards are out there..10.000?..20.000? I guess there are hundreds, also among the UBBDev members, still running 6.0x boards that would be more than happy to do every testing necessary before a hack is released. That should not be a problem at all.
quote:
I am shure the Infopops will be very happy, if everyone stops to make and maintain hacks for the 6.0x boards.
A lot of new hacks, and upgrading of old hacks with implementation of new nice functions only available for 6.1(6.2 & Gold) boards, will have a nice effect on their income, as those who wants to use that new hacks will be forced to buy a new board, or renew their members area access.

I do NOT belief that this is the policy of UBBDev.
As it says in Our Privacy Statement of UBBDev;
quote:
That is very nice to see. It is very nice to see, that UBBDev are paying respect to those nearly 11.000 members that, among the highly respected coders, actually make UBBDev the attractive community it is today.
It is very nice to know, that UBBDev, now and in the future, also will take good care of all those members that choose to stay with their 6.0x boards, well reminded that those people have made a considerable effort in bugtesting hacks, making suggestions and everything else that has made this place grow big.
It is my belief, that UBBDev will be doing EVERYTHING in their power, to make shure also those 6.0x boards users, can feel comfortable that ANY NEW 6.X hack will be tested for 6.0x compability as long as its possible. This also include providing the 6.0x members enough information and facts about the hacks made.

My contribution to this issue, is my suggestion that the new hacks made, or old hacks further developed, gets a compability flag in new topic header, or information provided in the introduction message that tells the members if this hack is 6.0x compatible or not.

This would be a good service for everyone in the community, also for the respected 6.0x members. They should not have to do any more unnecessary effort and hard digging to find out about a hack than the 6.1 members, when the info easily can be provided in the introduction message.

Another good side effect of this, would be that no-one needs to spam the hacktopics with compability questions.

Things like this, is part of what makes UBBDev a reputation of beeing a highly professional, userfriendly, and not to forget, INDEPENDENT UBB support community.

Cheers wink

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You're right, UBBDev isn't affiliated with Infopop, but it's the developer's decision to make backwards compatibility. Most developers don't have the time or don't want to rewrite it also for V6.0 or V5, because they don't need it and can't really support it. Don't forget all fixes have to be in both files, and there are also some new features in V6.1.

Some developers don't have access to the members area either, and the people who have V6.1 can't enjoy this hack and have to port it themselves, so you can port some V6.1 mods to V6, like it's really easy to port the calendar hack to both directions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63