Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
the bottom of emails sent from the cpanel. Can it be done?

I was thinking if we mass-emailed a group of users, some who haven't been in a while, it'd be nice to automatically include their login name and password and a link to their profile or the forum underneath it. It should encourage them to come back and post, or at least change their profile to not accept mass emails wink

Doable?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Hmm... that's very interesting. Kind of like a mail merge. I did notice that some HTML mail I sent included the site's page footer on it (and an old style sheet with dark blue background and black text frown )... so you should be able to dynamically put whatever you want in there. Probably want to somehow duplicate the entire mail function and call it "admin mail" or something. Then have an "inlcude login/pass" radio on the form.

You know... the more I think about it, the more I like it. I've never created a hack before, but I sure would like to at least help on this.

We have a bunch of code in ubb_lib_misc.cgi (starting at line 54) that finds the login and password for a user when they enter their email in public_lost_pw.pl (when they click the link, "lost password?").

I think it's pretty clear what you want to use for content. Starting at line 112:
Code
			$match_results .= qq!
$vars_wordlets{login_name}: $user_profile[0]
$vars_wordlets{password_field}: $user_profile[1]

!;

$match_results_html .= qq!
$vars_wordlets{login_name}: <b>$user_profile[0]</b>

$vars_wordlets{password_field}: <b>$user_profile[1]</b>

!;
If we can figure out a way to mimic how the system passes the email address into that section, we've won more than half the battle. The only thing remaining is to create the radio button in cp_email.cgi and some if/else logic behind it.

Coder
Coder
Would nice to be able to build groups so that you can target specific groups as well as everyone.

I second that. The Member Status pulldown in Control Panel should include other lists and should be called "email groups". You can also choose by number of posts. I think what we are missing is:

Members whose login starts with <>... (if your list is limited to 200, this is really important for really large boards).

Also, I think I would want to "Generate an email based on users who have not posted in X amount of days"

What you would have to do, 1QuickSI, is first enter your criteria for search, then have a field at the bottom "Save this Search As..." When you put something in that field 2 things happen. It creates a file with your criteria in it. And the next time you create an email, the name that you entered appears in the "Member Status" pulldown.

I think that the hard part would be saving your criteria and recalling it. I've seen a lot of applications handle this just by saving the results... but that's no good if you want to include your newest users.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good thoughts ST and Quick, this would help a lot of forums I think smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63