Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I was wondering if there was a hack to have a certain forum on a UBB board that no matter how many times a person posted in there, none of the posts would add to there post count, something that would be good for testing things or just goofing around

Sponsored Links
Sub Zero created that hack with Clan Killer I think. You may be able to find an older version of the No Count hack in the 6.0x-6.2x Modifications forum. You may need to adjust the code to comply with 6.4 but it should work.

There is another post on page 2 of this forum regarding this topic as well. I understand Sub Zero was looking for it, but if he can't find it with his permission I'll be happy to upload the .txt file. smile

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
I'd created this for my old 5.X board so peoples posts in the testing area didnt't count, but I never got around to re-doing it once I upgraded to 6.X. If I get the time I may redo it, its a quite simple hack to create.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
Oops...Sorry Bass. I didn't see your name on the hack. LOL. Well, props to you as well. thumbsup

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Its ok prime, I never published my version, was just for my own use. I wrote it because I didnt know it existed when I needed it smile

Sponsored Links
Content Queen
Content Queen
Where are we at with this? Any chance that it can be updated for the 6.4/6.5 boards?

Thanks.

Sue
adwoff.com
Hmm...I would imagine that the hack would work on these versions. Many of the hacks that were created for previous UBB versions, with some revisions, will work with the newer UBB versions such as 6.4/6.5. I still haven't heard from Sub Zero (his version) on releasing the No Count hack again.

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Ok, ill see what I can do, its not that hard, if I get some time this week ill create it for v6+

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
PrimeTime,

I've been rather swamped with tons of PHP development and other projects. Go ahead and release it as I haven't had the time to keep up on porting the hack smile

Thanks.

Alright. smile

No changes were necessary to the original mod.

Hack: Posts Don't Count 3.0

Description: This hack allows you to choose two forums and allow posts without them being counted toward the user's post total.

BY: ClanKiller (ported it to work on UBB 6.4 & added the portion to integrate to CP)
SubZero (added 2nd forum ability)

REQUIREMENTS: Please install Mod CP Addon hack prior to install (should be located in the 6.3x Beta Mods forum).

Click Here 4 Text File

smile

Sponsored Links
Content Queen
Content Queen
PrimeTime, thank you SO much for providing us the info for this hack.

Two quick questions: first, can a person make it cover more than two forums?

Second, this involves an entirely different area--but it relates to post counts--in the new member directory, it provides a link to browse the directory--with one of the choices being "Number of Posts."

We literally have a small group of members who are so fixated on their post counts that we're considering shutting off showing them at all; I'm hesitant to do so, though, because I truly believe that post totals show a "history" of an individual's participation in a community.

Because of this, I'm trying to remove any relevance to "post totals" that I can from the board. How can I remove that link from the Community Directory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sue
adwoff.com
I've disabled UBB's "Directory" and haven't looked at the file/codes so I wouldn't be much help there right now. tipsy

As for adding more forums to the "Posts Don't Count Hack" that is possible. This will be long since I'm explaining. laugh I've done it but will have to do it on the top of my head.

In both the "ubb_new_reply.cgi" and "ubb_new_topic.cgi" files you had to add this:

Code
[/code]Notice "posts_count" and "posts_count2"...Take one of the codes such as:

Code
</pre></div></div>then change it to:<br><br> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
then add to the original hack such as:

Code
</pre></div></div>Basically you can keep adding "posts_count" but just remember to add consecutive numbers as I did with "3"...And so the next would be "4".<br><br>--------------<br><br>Now in the "cp_modaddon.cgi" file where the hack is located you'll find this:<br><br> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
Now you need to add forum #3. Take this code:

Code
</pre></div></div>then add it to the original like so:<br><br> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
notice "posts_count3" which will target #3 forum. Almost done. :tipsy:

Now to add the text area in CP take this code:

Code
</pre></div></div>and add it to the original code so it looks like this:<br><br> [code]
This is important. Notice the comma after the orginal code from "RegField" for forum #2? The original "]" did not have the comma. Unless it's the last code bit you will need the comma so it looks like "],". I've already done that for this example.

Hope this works for you.

smile

Content Queen
Content Queen
PT,

Thanks so much for taking the effort to code this for me. smile

Unfortunately, when I try to apply it to my test area, it keeps giving me an Internal Error Message (500). frown

So I don't know if I'm not putting something in place correctly or if my server is buggy or what.

For now, I'll stick with the two forum deal--and just make sure they are forums I can live with!

Again, thanks for your help.

Sue
adwoff.com
My apologies ADWOFF. This is why it's better to test scripts instead of assuming it will work. tipsy I forgot to insert another "}" in 2 of the codes. In the text link below I made the adjustment.

For you ADWOFF, all you need to do is rehack ubb_new_reply.cgi and ubb_new_topic.cgi files.

Click Here For 3 Forums

My understanding is that BassTeq will work on a different version of this code which will make selecting forums easier...If I'm correct.

If you want to continue with this version let me know how many forums you want to have the No Post Count feature.

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Ok All, here's my version, Ive tested it and it works correctly. Any problems just let me know.

Prime maybe you can update the text file on your server with my version as I dont have anywhere to host it at the moment.

Cheers
[code][/code]

COOL BassTeQ! If I'm reading your code correctly in this version you'll have the option of disabling post counts in any selected forum. thumbsup I'll upload it an test it for myself. laugh

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Thats right, you just enter a list of forum numbers delimited by the pipe character,
eg to block post counts in forums 1,3 and 5 you would enter 1|3|5

Alright...Updated. smile

HACK NAME: No Post Count Hack Unlimited

DESCRIPTION: This hack allows you to select the forums that you do not want post counts to increase.

BY: BassTeQ (Made changes to allow easier selection for multiple forums)

REQUIREMENTS: full license, UBB 6.4 (possibly for 6.2+ versions and up)

Additional REQUIREMENTS: Please install Mod CP Addon hack prior to install

Click Here For Text File

##Back up files before editing!##

Umm...Hey BassTeQ? Is this an entirely new hack? I seem to have listed everyone who were involved (except for the porting to 6.4). laugh

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Looks very promising, I can't wait to have it applied to my 6.5 test board (once I get calendar issues ironed out) thanks guys smile .

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Umm...Hey BassTeQ? Is this an entirely new hack? I seem to have listed everyone who were involved (except for the porting to 6.4). laugh
Well I made some drastic changes, so I dont know if you'd call it new ?? Doesnt matter, just leave the doco as it is.

Since your version differs a lot I updated the text which shows you as the author for this version. The "No Count Hack" with the 2 forums was also left intact and credited to Sub Zero. Basically two different hacks.

Hey Bass...I found something interesting. If you leave the text area blank in the CP the forums will not update the user's post count. If you insert the word "blank" or any other word (but not a number) then the forums will generate a post count.

For now I updated the text to read:

Please use a pipe delimited list, Example: 1|4|6, or you can type the word 'blank' if you want to disable this feature", "$vars_modifications{posts_count}"

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Whops my bad, I put a line of code in the wrong area smile

I've modified my post on the 1st page of this thread to reflect my fix.

just need to re-mod new-reply and new-topic cgi files.

Cheers

I'll update the text and post it in the Mods 6.4/6.5 forum. smile

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
hehe, head to head mods to do the same thing! Amazing hehe smile ... Kinda like "Total Cell Rollovers" and "HyperCells" wink ...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Content Queen
Content Queen
Wow! You guys have been busy!

Cool beans on figuring it all out--I'll give it a shot ... um, probably not until the weekend.

I start a second job tonight, so my hours are going to be cut back drastically from playing on the 'net and with my board! tipsy

Sue
adwoff.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849