Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Well...maybe some of you remember..okay I seriously doubt any of you remember my ubb5 layout I posted a link to some time ago. What make it unique was that I found the blocks in the page for every single table cell so there was an eerie gradient running in different directions throughout the forum summary.

I finally upgraded to a UBB6.05 and, although my changes aren't that major I think I've come up with a good looking layout.

Most of my changes take place in the topic pages themselves (yeah I know it's simple but perl isn't my language of choice folks).

Since I have your attention (and if I don't have your attention you can't be reading this and will never refute me) I might as well take this opperunity to point out my lack of any lofo whatsoever in the ubb. This isn't a clever design innovation. This is the lack of any graphical talent in my body. If some generous skilled soul out there ever happens to find a few minutes of free times on there hands hmmm?

er..anyways here is the url:
http://www.arc-forums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Two points: Normally I keep the board from being viewable by unreigstered quests I only opened it up for a few days to the general public while I posted hte link to it, after this topic hits the second page I'll close my ubb again.

Other point: I'm asking this in a seperate topic in the template questions but it can't hurt to have it seen a little more. Does anyone know where I can edit the "$standard_title_table" I've seen it done before and I really referred something else, I know I can do it but I haven't been able to find where that variable is set anywhere.

It just occurred to me while writing this ti check the require statements in public forum summary pl and cgi...but in case I don't find it...if anyone knows can they post it? thanks.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: tier lieder ]

Sponsored Links
Looks nice...I like the way people manage to come up with quite a different look and feel from other boards..
Personally I don't like too much black..its the 'easy' colour IMO..
font seems a bit big too..

I kind of cycle color schemes...although I did take your advice of shrinking the font size.

I re do the colors every few months just to keep in fresh, before I was using many shadows of blue. Next time I'll come up with something cheery, and perhaps black is an easy color but I think it's the best I've had so far. And I'm still planning on changing the title_table if I can ever find where they set the variable.

It looks.....ok. smile

I have basically the same color scheme, only a little different, so that's probably why I don't like yours as much. Also, I don't like how some table borders are thicker than others. I also think the posts look a little weird with the gray border around them....but what do I know....

I like your forums. They look pretty good. Good Job!

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
Just some useless trivia here, it's a federal crime to use "Corp", or "Corporation" or any other variant of the word, unless you actually are in fact an incorporated company. In cases such as yours, I doubt it would actually bring any dire consequences, but you may want to briefly consider changing your name... (unless of course you are really incorporated, in which case disregard this...)

Firstly, you really need a logo. The pages seem rather empty without a logo of some kind.

Color scheme is less than original, but at least it's consistent.

And I can't figure out what your site is about... You really have way too many forums for the small amount of members you have. I'd suggest consolidation until you've actually got the population to make some use of all those forums.

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
The forums: I want my technical forums in an organized manner.

I don't care too much about the general chatting forums so when a few people made requests for them I put them up and left other people in charge under the general moderator rules.

A corp is any group of people with a similar interest, I state here and there that the group isn't, in fact, an incorporation in any way shape or form. Could be that, that might bite me in the ass eventually but nobody has ever come up with a better name for the group and many different ideas have been tossed around. But the interest is general knowledge over the internet. Yes we need a logo, some people are "working" on it but I'm pretty busy so I just asked someone to do it and I'm waiting for it, I don't think I'll end up using a logo anyways. It'll probably be a width="100%" table across the top with the links ect fitted in there all peachy keen.

Color Scheme? I can't very well claim start originality but I sacrificed that for making it good but still different then previous color schemes.

If you're curious what the group is it's detailed on the index page of the ubbs domain. I'd give a direct link but it loads in an iframe It's the "About Us" link from the site.

[edit]I'm excercising the General Access retrictions I like to keep on my board again. If a mod would just close this topic? I just wanted a few suggestions and I got them. Thank you.[/edit]

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: tier lieder ]

Wow! Incredible-looking boards! The only gripe I would have is the addition of the mod drop-downs (which seem unnecessary on most people's boards); but other than that, it's top-notch! smile

Tier it looks great dude.
I should know heh
I like the way you have that compact header.
-Cerebral

Thanks.

I was thinking about the mod drop downs...I saw it somewhere else and felt I needed it but after adding it all it does it make it more difficult to see who the mods are so I'll probably scrap it.

As you can see I re-opened my board to the public again.

I just wanted people's opinions on the header because two of them exist now. One uses the hypercells and has a seperate cell for every link and the other....doesn't. The merits of not having seperate cells for all links in the header is that it is easier to update, the disadvantages are, of course less flashy.
But not having the hypercells code in there should speed it up a little bit.

I would also like opinions/suggestions on the topic pages. I make every post it's own seperate table for ease of rendering by all browsers. Should I keep or toss that?

Sponsored Links
it looks great from what i can tell.
I like your board much better then gsx now lmao

My board was always better then GSX. It doesn't take very much of anything to accomplish that, although I think they are coming somewhere now.

They recovered from the largest management disaster I have ever seen when Ritalin posted one little command to change their background image.

Actually I'm amazed at how well they are doing considering they don't even have a website and their board is...not the best I've seen. I think someone other then Scott should have taken an interest in the colors and design of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63