Print Thread
Rate Thread
#63634 04/10/2002 12:08 PM
Kahuna
Kahuna
games are fun.

invitations are useful.

but controversy is proven.

if you're looking to stir up some conversations on your forums, regardless of theme, play the devil's advocate. even if its merely for the sake of being the contrary opinion (and not expressing your own thoughts).

i've found that simply by urging on a debate, and pushing the opposite envelope, you can attract a following. they might not be your best friends wink but they'll become members -- and vigirous ones!

or, if you dont want to be the unpopular choice, just be the one that sets up the debate.

darth vader vs. darth maul
vanilla vs. chocolate
oj vs. nicolle
nintendo vs. sony
digital camera vs. film

it doesnt matter how "insignificant" you nake the topic, or what variation your forums' theme is... as long as you set something up like the above, and then flesh it out with a little bio on each sides pro and con (rather than just a "vs" voting contest, where replies will list their one word answer), you'll get some great topics flowing.

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
...or will you? wink

Well, I'd have to agree that controversy will certainly get you new members, and lot's of traffic.

And on the type of things you mention seems like pretty harmless fun.

But in general, I'm less sure, I've seen some controversial topics recently that did nothing other than undermine the sense of community we've tried to build and just degenerated into name-calling.

Kahuna
Kahuna
that is true.

it certainly depends on the type of community you've established.

more 'serious' debates, like, say, on abortion, could potentially (and obviously) garner all sorts of nastiness.

but for the most part, that wont be an issue you run into. i havent stumbled onto too many "abortion MBs" smile so, its a hard conversation to simply 'appear' on your average message board.

my personal forums, for example, has a specific area set aside for real conversations, 'deep thoughts / questions' as i call it. and, even tho the rest of my board focuses on relative immaturity, in that forum, i just might (and have!) post something like an 'abortion' topic.

but in a case like that, people going into that forum, and then into that topic, are specifically looking for that kind of conversation. and my community knows one another well enough to respect honesty and opinions, however different.

i think most (but certainly not all) forums would follow that same idea.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
controversial topics is one area where have good moderators helps. If a thread starts to degenerate they are there to either 1) warn the participants to keep it clean, 2) edit posts, 3) close the thread or 4) delete the thread. All of these if provide with an explanation can help to keep the board members participating, but within the guidelines of the board.

Sponsored Links
If you wanna start controversial topics then just have a pseudo registration to start them, then you can have an opinion, god knows I've done it enough, also good for having a dig at someone wink

Audi-Sport.net the only forum guaranteed to kill any server!
I agree, the best way to get your forum more active is with the Controversal topics. And Members come back for more. smile

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Controversy is pretty much the driving force in our General Discussion, and most members often are out just to prove other members wrong... It really helps out the community to grow, but some times it gets a little out of hand. shocked

Like developing a Personal Grudge with the person your debating with.

Kahuna
Kahuna
shut up, both of you!

you're wrong!

as long as a controversial debate is handled in an appropriate manner and conducted with structure, it can do nothing but benefit the forum, and help it to grow.

jerks!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Rob, that doesn't drive discussion... I say a peaceful forum where people feel safe to interact on like-minded subjects make for a faster growing site and a more stable/active membership. Debate, when combined with the anonymity of the internet usually make for sites filled with sniping and shows of immaturity.

wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:
shut up, both of you!

you're wrong!

as long as a controversial debate is handled in an appropriate manner and conducted with structure, it can do nothing but benefit the forum, and help it to grow.

jerks!

:rolleyes:
I see your somebody who doesn't respects someone elses opinions. This just prooves our point. tipsy

Kahuna
Kahuna
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
Rob, that doesn't drive discussion... I say a peaceful forum where people feel safe to interact on like-minded subjects make for a faster growing site and a more stable/active membership. Debate, when combined with the anonymity of the internet usually make for sites filled with sniping and shows of immaturity.

most certainly, that can be the case. and, unfortunatley, im sure there are numerous situations each of us have been sucked into that resemble that.

(a favorite scenario is when you're in a debate with one or two other posters, then, suddenly, a 'new member' appears to join their side... "hmm... we've never seen clark and superman at the same time...")

but id never advocate a debate discussion that divided your forums into bitter hate groups -- im a web-lover, not a web-fighter!

rather, i think that a like-minded conversation, as you suggest, can be had within a debate on a 'controversial' subject.

for example, if you run a 'star wars' board, im sure people would jump at the chance to face off between favorites: darth maul and darth vader. sports forums, im sure, love to discuss and debate the superiority of barry bands or babe ruth. computer sites will feature conversations that compare, at length, the pros and cons of apple computers and PCs.

the debate i recomend doesnt have to be about topics that could frighten an audience, but rather one that sparks a conversation through opinion -- however diverse. (people can be just as adamant in their opinions pro-imac than others are in their opinions pro-republican.)

i think conversations become more involving and more intense when you're trying to make a claim of some sort -- defending your side, adding 'proof' to your argument, backing up your claims, etc. it becomes a "real" discussion then, rather than someone stating their opinion, and 3 or 4 people adding "i agree."

Kahuna
Kahuna
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
:rolleyes:
I see your somebody who doesn't respects someone elses opinions. This just prooves our point. tipsy

as one of the most active discussions in this forum?

i agree -- the point is proven! wink

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:
i think conversations become more involving and more intense when you're trying to make a claim of some sort -- defending your side, adding 'proof' to your argument, backing up your claims, etc. it becomes a "real" discussion then, rather than someone stating their opinion, and 3 or 4 people adding "i agree."

I agree...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
...waitaminute...

...well... then i dont! smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
dunno tipsy

Yay! I won an Argument. laugh

*Feels special*

Kahuna
Kahuna
... or did you...?...

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

wink

I'm with Allen.

For the most part, we just want to have a bunch of fun at my community--and we succeed 99.9% of the time.

Unfortunately, when it comes to creating controversy via "debate," most cannot see past the principle that you are discussing the opinion/position--not the person.

Plus, every now and then, someone will say something that another member takes the wrong way, and a cyber-brawl breaks out. I've had enough of those--thank you very much! laugh

(Controversy does create traffic, but I wonder if it's long, sustained traffic.)

Sue
adwoff.com
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I have been on both sides of this debate, and have just closed a forum at my site that was generating a couple thousand post a day. It was pure crap and even thought he hits were through the roof the rest of the board suffered and I lost some good members. I have since closed that forum and started a serious rebuild of netwerkin.

Things are getting back to normal but I am still banning people and have to keep registrations off when I can't be around to watch things closely.

Netwerkin was founded as a place where anyone could come and ask or answer questions without having to feel like a no0bie and I am very proud to say that it is quickly becoming that place again.

Kahuna
Kahuna
i wont lie -- its definitely a suggestion that could lead to potential trouble. BIG trouble.

certain topics bring out the worst in people (and that can be purdy ugly).

so, if you're going to use this method, it should definitely be something that you (or someone you trust) is constantly keeping an eye on it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I agree tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
gah!

...um...

no you dont!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63