Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
one technique i've used, in order to garner additional support for my forums, is to elevate certain members to moderator status.

giving a folder to one of your members makes them take a little more responsibility in having that area of the boards grow.

they'd be more apt to reply to topics, more apt to start new ones, and, most importantly, might even try to go elsewhere to help draw new members into their area! (and, once the others see this section, they just might check out the rest of your boards).

give it a try! couldnt hurt smile

Sponsored Links
I would only do that if the board was just opening. Otherwise I would keep mod numbers to a minimum until more are needed.

Kahuna
Kahuna
ill agree to that.

moderators of a forum should follow a similar rule that the amount of folders should follow -- you should start more, and only add when necessary.

if you have a forum run by 4 moderators, but only feature 3 threads, you've probably stumbled onto a problem. wink

rather, if your idea is to create a new folder, id suggest selecting an existing member on your boards who is familiar with the subject, and give them the 'promotion.'

some users, i've found, actually take this as a really big deal, and involve themself more, taking the mod status as a pride thing, and running the forum as if their own.

Kahuna
Kahuna
see? laugh

quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:
see? laugh

LOL!!!

Personally, I like to keep the amount of mods low. I'd prefer having about 5 mods at my forums. Some forums even un-moderated. I have 7 or 8 mods, but I don't have a lousy excuse to de-mod some. XD!

~Jon

Sponsored Links
The problem I've run into with mods is that too often they get an attitude and go from being the involved great users they were to being rude and pushy and going on a power trip of sorts.

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by JustAskJulie:
The problem I've run into with mods is that too often they get an attitude and go from being the involved great users they were to being rude and pushy and going on a power trip of sorts.

I've seen this happen a little bit. Had a major problem with one of my mods last December (she no longer mods--now if I could just get her to disappear from the community wink [long story--can't ban her--YET]) and another one who dropped off the face of the earth.

I have another one who would like MORE forums, but I see her being like what JAJ described.

All that said though, when I finished with my previous upgrade, I went out and recruited more members to be moderators. Like drknight said, most were extremely pleased to be given the assignment and work very hard to uphold their responsibilities.

Sue
adwoff.com
I've run into some forums where nearly 3/4 of the active users are moderators. Sure it keeps them coming back but you need active MEMBERS too. Just having staff as active posters isn't good. Thats why you keep them low.

Kel Offline
Alot of new members tend to get intimidated when they see nothing but moderators all over the board... One thing that I do is disable the moderator column on the main forum display... if someone wants to know who the mod is for that forum, well then I guess they are just going to have to go to that forum.... wink

It also helps to keep the mods a little 'humbled'... they are actually going to have to do some posting in order for their spiffy title to be seen... laugh

Kahuna
Kahuna
what you might want to do is emphasize the 'reward' factor of the moderator position.

i.e; make sure the mod knows that its an EARNED position.

set up requirements for becoming (and thus, maintaining) the position, like x amount of posts / month, or being a positive factor in the community, etc.

then, if you find someone not living up to these guidelines, speak with them private about the situation, and how it doesnt appear they're living up to their end of the bargain.

and if that trend continues, you dont have to live up to yours (i.e; giving them mod status), and they can be replaced by someone who does.

Sponsored Links
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
What we do is have a set of explicit rules and guidelines, the moderators know what is expected of them and we have a framework to work within.

We also have a break in period for new moderators, to ensure that they both meet our expectations and are an asset to the community.

Moderating is a difficult position. It requires someone who can both keep the forum on track as well as stimulate the conversation. Ego's and powertrips should have no place in the forum. If someone isn't working out as a moderator, then don't be afraid to remove them, but try to do it in a diplomatic way, so they can remain part of the community as a member. In some cases you might have gotten the message across and they will take the responsibility more seriously if given the chance to help out in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
What we do is have a set of explicit rules and guidelines

Can you share your rules and guidelines for moderators?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We started out with some basic stuff, added some other stuff based on recommendations from IP regarding some other stuff, and tacks has added some newer stuff to make the process more organized...

I think we'll be putting it together for public consumption soon - we just gotta decide if we wanna call it "Moderator Academy" or "Moderator BootCamp" smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I've dealed with powertripped moderators. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing, especially on busy forums. Being soft won't get the point across. For example if you start acting nice to a member that breaks rules on several occasions they will keep doing it.

Kahuna
Kahuna
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
Ego's and powertrips should have no place in the forum.

...can i keep the cape?

quote:
Can you share your rules and guidelines for moderators?

honestly, jaj, i think your boards rules and guidelines as well as your boards' moderator's rules and guidelines need to be personalized for your board.

the rules here are extraordinarily detailed, which works great for this community. the ones on my personal boards are "be good," whichi works great for that community.

rules should fit your forum like a glove -- and not one of those new gloves, thats all stiff and awkward. im talkin about a 'freaky freezer' glove you got in 1984, thats SO incredibly flexible and pliable.

you should change and alter the rules for your board and your moderators as time progresses -- its a living experience, and certain times call for certain measures. others, dont.

like everything else on your site, it should be yours.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Needless to say, releasing our "guidelines" might provide board admins with a good starting point with which they can apply to their board. It also may stimulate some new ideas that we may want to incorporate into our guidelines.

We'll try to sanitize them so you folks can use them and make you lives in running your forums a wee bit easier...after all, that is what the community development forum is all about..sharing tips and tricks for running a successful forum.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
I've dealed with powertripped moderators. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing, especially on busy forums. Being soft won't get the point across. For example if you start acting nice to a member that breaks rules on several occasions they will keep doing it.

Unfortunately it my case it wasn't about members breaking rules. It was more the attitude towards newer members that they should read every post in the entire board before bothering to ask a question (which isn't going to happen) and getting an attitude whenever a question came up that had been asked previously (or even a similiar question). Basically, they were squelching conversation instead of encouraging it.

quote:
i think your boards rules and guidelines as well as your boards' moderator's rules and guidelines need to be personalized for your board.
I totally agree with you there. But it's always nice to see what others are doing to get ideas of your own flowing.

quote:
Unfortunately it my case it wasn't about members breaking rules. It was more the attitude towards newer members that they should read every post in the entire board before bothering to ask a question (which isn't going to happen) and getting an attitude whenever a question came up that had been asked previously (or even a similiar question). Basically, they were squelching conversation instead of encouraging it.

They can search a question to see if it's answered. Thats what Search is there for but they shouldn't go too far on Newbies that didn't know.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
[QUOTE]They can search a question to see if it's answered. Thats what Search is there for but they shouldn't go too far on Newbies that didn't know.

I agree, but it always amazes me how many people don't even realize that search function exists. I've had users who have been using my message board for over a year post messages saying how nice a search feature would be, then I point out that we already have one and they are like "oh wow, we didn't see that, that's great".

And even with that, sometimes you don't know exactly what you need to search FOR. As a newbie coming into a site, you may have a question and not realize that your question is common. My thought tho is so what if someone else has already asked that question and someone has answered it. There's new people on the board now than there were then, so someone else may have a new outlook on the same old question and that may spark a great conversation.

I have taken the step recently of setting up archives for the most common questions and that helps some.

Something that can help them release is put "Use Search before posting question" In your forum intro for that forum. It does help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63