Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67308 02/20/2001 6:06 PM
*yes i know i posted this over at IP too, but i'm too lazy to type it again, so i'm just copying anf pasting what i said there*

GET RID OF THE CACHE SYSTEM! IT SUCKS! IT CAUSES LOTS OF PROBLEMS!

what problems you ask? increase in CPU usuages...HTML based hacks don't work anymore...and lots of other stuff.

now, come on, your trying to emulate the cache system used by IE and other famous browsers????????? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's in the browsers to keep server usuage down...now if you put it in a server...it'll do the opposite, it'll increase server usuage, and cause all sorts of prob's.

now, also the wordlets, they increase server usuage too. THEY DO, A LOT.
because for everyone of them there's a variable, and file has to be opened and searched. and that takes time. a lot espicially when there's over 200 wordlets..(i think there's less, i dunno, i did'nt count)

just go back to having it in 1 file, and leave comments in the code telling people what text did what and what it was for. that way it would'nt have to search for variables and stuff.
Look the more code there is too search through, and compile, the longer it's going to take to load and more server usuage will ocur.

i know you want to make stuff easy for people and i understand entirely, i do.
but there's easier ways to go about this.
like one is, releasing configure/hacking doc's with the UBB. telling what certain parts of the code is for, and what is does.
and how to customize stuff, like the registration text and other stuff, that would normally be done through the CP. it would cut down on a lot of CP usuage.

hey, maybe even someone with C/C++ knowledge might make a prog for you guys, that would be a virtual CP. you could download to your computer, and make changes to files on your computer and then upload them with the changes.
I'm speaking for all the little people using UBB, the one's you guys are starting to forgot, the people that can only afford small server's and stuff.

(two of my friends got kicked off thier server's because of UBB6's giant CPU usuage)

soooo...please, just optimize it for the little people smile

if you still want to go ahead with the cache system and everything, FINE, but please, release a UBB6 light version along with it, that did'nt use all those variables and had less code, that would'nt cause such a big server usuage.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Sponsored Links
#67309 02/20/2001 6:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
quote:
No, it doesn't. The cache system CUTS DOWN on processor use by storing frequently requested pages.

quote:
That is not Infopop's concern.

quote:
Such as?

quote:
Uh, no. Tell me, do you know what the cache system does, exactly? If you knew, you'd find that it has virtually nothing in common with client side caches.

quote:
No, they don't.

quote:
No, they don't.

quote:
That confirms it for me - you have no idea how to program in Perl. It takes almost no time at all for the system to open and compile the required file, which contains all of ONE hash with the needed wordlet package.

quote:
The only thing in your rant that I might agree with.

quote:
What would be the use of that?

So, let's go over the caching system one more time, mmm'kay?

1) User calls a page
2) UBB checks to see if the page is cached
3) Let's say this is a thread. Let's also say that the thread is not cached
4) The UBB opens the thread datafile. For each post in the thread, it opens the required user profile, caches that data, then builds the post using the templates. This is an expensive process
5) After the page has been built, it's cached and then passed to the user
6) Another user comes along
7) Because the page is cached, it is fed back to the user with no further processing required

The same thing applies for thread listings.

1) User calls a page - this time it's a thread listing (forumdisplay)
2) UBB checks the cache
3) UBB finds it's NOT cached
4) UBB builds the thread listing - in order to do so, it needs to read EVERY THREAD. This is an expensive process
5) UBB caches the thread listing and passes it back to the user
6) Another user comes along
7) Because the page is cached, it is fed back to the user with no further processing required

This helps a TREMENDOUS ammount to reduce required processor time.

Please, before posting rants, learn all you can about the topic. Shooting your mouth off tends not to leave people with a very good impression about you.

[ February 20, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#67310 02/20/2001 7:09 PM
Ell Offline
DAMN YOU CHARLIE!!! I got here first, and you got all the fun by replying faster. tipsy

#67311 02/20/2001 7:38 PM
CC, don't confuse him by using the word "hash". He might think this is mcdonalds. smile
How about you upload a text file to your server, have users download it and reupload it with their reply? Less bandwidth, and no features. smile

The cache and wordlets are my fave new features. 'nuff said.

:rolleyes:

#67312 02/20/2001 8:19 PM
yes all true, but...
what really is the use of having the cache system?? all this could have been with HTML and it would be faster.

I had a big reply to what you were saying..but whats the use? you would just run back with your "No, they don't."

so, to make things easier, i will provide a working example, and submit it to UBBdev, and they can check the CPU usuage and everything else.
if i'm wrong, i'm wrong. no biggie. I just stated what i thought and now trying a hypothesis, that's all. people make mistakes, if i did, i did. i won't think anymore about it then i do anything else.

[ February 20, 2001: Message edited by: Ultra The Vampire ]

Sponsored Links
#67313 02/20/2001 8:51 PM
Do you know any statue of perl programming? Do you know the difference between CPU useage and ammount of space used? I think not. The cache, proves beyond a doubt in MY mind faster than the previous system and/or easier to implement than whatever the hell your talking about.

ultimatebb.html? Is that relevant? I dont think so. Please, elaborate, so i can read it without a translator. :rolleyes:

#67314 02/20/2001 9:16 PM
quote:
Whoa settle down there bud lets not make fun of ourselves now.
quote:
Got to love them hash browns mmmmm.
quote:
Actuelly that is a grreat way to get traffic comming to you site. Thanks for telling everyone, now the secret is out and I will not be the only one doing that.

Look if you do not like the new caching system do not come here whining about it. All your whining is doing is giving everyone a good laugh, so if you do not like the caching system go back to UBB 5 and stop complaining about more and less load time.

[ February 20, 2001: Message edited by: Gamer ]

#67315 02/20/2001 11:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
quote:
1) Recovered disk space
2) Reduced processor time due to NOT having to generate a variety of pages on the fly

quote:
See, now that might be a good idea, except for one thing - if everything was static HTML files to begin with, there would be a LOT more disk space required to run the board. The cache system is the best of both worlds.

quote:
Perhaps if you came up with convincing arguments with statistics to back it up, you might be able to prove your points. Until you do so, I'm sticking with the story - UBB6 is much more effecient than UBB5, which translates to improved speed, among other things.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#67316 02/21/2001 12:21 AM
Addict
Addict
Anyone ever heard of mips? (Millions of instructions per second) Most web hosts run a P3 or better, even if the function was code heavy, (which it ain't) the servers of today can handle it.

[ February 20, 2001: Message edited by: C_P ]

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63