Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67674 03/01/2001 12:54 PM
I need to express my sincere outrage at what happened Tuesday night. This week was Marti Gras and in Philadelphia we have a similar event called Fat Tuesday that was held. I think the total number in attendance was close to 40,000. Things got out of hand and stores were destroyed and looted. Cars were destroyed while they were trying to leave the area. Women and men alike were physically assaulted. It is absolutely disgusting and disgraceful that we allow this type of insanity to go on year after year. While I don’t live on South Street (where the event took place,) it is still like a home to me. I shop there, I hang out there, I eat there and when something like this happens I take it personally.

Unfortunately, it would came as no surprise to me to find out that the majority of these drunken rioters were nothing more than rich frat boys looking for a good time (mostly from the suburbs, not the city.) Physical bodies that do nothing more than take up space in our country’s colleges and universities. It would do this world (as well as Philadelphia,) a great service to once and for all dissolve these non-academically motivated collections of ignorance. For those of us who slaved for years over our books trying to achieve a better life for ourselves and our families only to have our homes and businesses destroyed by some dumb, rich frat trash because they cannot contain themselves in public is an outrage and should be abolished. Please don’t misunderstand me. I am all for having a good time, but it seems like more and more Fat Tuesday has come represent a drunken riot rather than a celebration of any sort.

For those of you who think I’m aiming my anger in the wrong direction, do me a favor: go into your glamorized frat houses and pretty suburban homes and grab something of value. Smash it on the floor in the middle of your living room and then urinate on it making sure that the stains will be permanently ground into your carpets and floors. You may even want to throw in a cigarette butt for effect. Not very pretty, is it?

- DB

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Wow, I just got back from New Orleans this weekend, usually touted as the place to go for Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday. There musta been 300,000 drunken half-naked people there in the French Quarter, but for all that, they were very civilized... a little pushing through the closer-than-your-own-skin crowd was about as rowdy as it got... even the bead-beer-and-clothing throwing was pretty civilized compared to a riot... laugh

I did see groups of police standing around everywhere, but only one arrest the whole night... amazing.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Allen, you have no clue. I think that New Orleans is used to it so they know how to handle it. Philly, on the other hand, is not.

Check it out for yourself:
http://cofaxinq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/03/01/front_page/PCROWD01.htm

- DB

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Ah yes, different class of people... northerners... small hands, smell like cabbage... tipsy

They should have had at least 500 police out there, they still woulda been outnumbered 80:1, but it would have helped.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Infopopper
Infopopper
Digital Boy-

I understand your aggravation. We had riots here in Seattle as well, resulting in one death and many injuries.

Like you said, most of the trouble makers came from the college campuses and suburbia. It irratates me to no end that 1) they have no respect for their city or their own safety and 2) they have no respect for authority.

Sponsored Links
Ell Offline
...Whereas here in England, between BSE and the recent foot-and-mouth-disease outbreaks, EVERYONE'S rioting... eek

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
True, I'll bet cats are becoming scarce over there with no beef available... laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#67681 03/05/2001 11:27 PM
quote:
Not so amazing. It's economics. Without Mardi Gras new Orleans would be a joke, it's all they have to offer and attract people (usually drunk morons). Those police know who signs their checks.

#67682 03/06/2001 12:40 AM
Addict
Addict
Shoot, ever heard of spring break.. How about Daytona Bike week, Or Sturgis...
I lived thru Hurricane Andrew, and the Miami riots.

Anytime a group of people get together, the IQ lowers. Funny you'd think it would increase..

We only think we have evolved into beings that are more intelligent than those that lived in caves...

Guess what?

NOT!

"Humans are the only creature in the universe that feeds upon and wars with,, himself.." Spock - Original Star Trek.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
I don't believe you ever go to New Orleans then or you would know different. Mardi Gras is one month out of the year... New Orleans has lots to offer and tourism is big year round. Cajun cuisine, jazz music, etc... there's much to see and do in and around nola.

My statement was that there was only one arrest because the people there acted very civilized for 300,000 drunk people in such tight quarters (you were literally surrounded on all sides, everyone was pressed up against each other). The people there just know how to have a good time without resorting to such stupidity that leads to riots. Plain and simple. Not something we can say about philly, chicago, seattle, L.A., and New York (all recent rioting events). There would have been riots in the street with looting, raping, murder, anything a mob mentality brings on.

Spock was wrong, btw... lots of animals war with and feed off each other... course spock didn't have the Discovery Channel...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
#67684 03/06/2001 11:43 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one fed up with this kind of crap.

- DB

#67685 03/07/2001 12:41 AM
quote:
I used to LIVE there! It's got one of the HIGHEST crime rates in the whole nation!

They do have jazz and some good food tipsy

We have enough issues in Philly without having to deal with this. Marti Gras is New Orleans' problem, not ours. I think that they should either move the event to a more controled environment or hand out directions to New Orleans.

- DB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63