Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I recently moved to a new web host and am having a strange problem. They are running Linux and apache.

It is an intermittant problem that my web host has been unable to see on their side. However, every day for hours at a time, I am unable to ping www.epinionaddicts.com . I CAN ping epinionaddicts.com, but not www and not any of the subdomains.

I have seen it happen on two isps and had a user verify the problem on her isp last night. The really weird thing is that even if one person might not be able to resolve www.epinionaddicts.com, others CAN resolve it.

I know the problem has something to do with my new web host. Does anyone have any clues? My web host is stumped, and I am extremely frustrated. This may mean having to move my site again. I haven't been able to access my board since 5am today.

Amy

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Propagation, it happens for a while until all the servers around the net clear their cache and and realize your new ip number.

Give it a few more days

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Veteran
Veteran
[navaho@xtreme navaho]$ nslookup epinionaddicts.com
Server: localhost.localdomain
Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: epinionaddicts.com
Address: 209.61.176.3

[navaho@xtreme navaho]$ nslookup www.epinionaddicts.com
Server: localhost.localdomain
Address: 127.0.0.1

*** localhost.localdomain can't find www.epinionaddicts.com: Non-existent host/domain
[navaho@xtreme navaho]$

The domain has propogated, I can hit that, but the www is a problem.

Methinks it is in their named setup.
Mar 17 14:54:51 xtreme named[13356]: ns_resp: query(www.epinionaddicts.com) All possible A RR's lame

Beyond that I could not tell you much without seeing their named.conf and your zone record. I'm praying that their named is secure enough that I can't get a zone record xfr from it. I'll try that later.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Addict
Addict
Well as it was explained to me by more than one host each router around the net has a cache, and until it is cleared you will have a hit and miss scenario.

I can reach your site using ATT@home.

Possibly you need to contact your old host, and ask them to remove your domain name from their dns servers.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Veteran
Veteran
C_P yes, you are right. For the domain themselves. You are exactly right. smile

But if you can reach the actual domain and the NS where the record is stored you should then be able to query that NS for the A records. I'm thinking that they might have used CNAME or somehow the NS that The root servers are pointing to (NetSol? Register.com?) does not realize it is authoritative.

Either way, smells like a config error.

I can get it on my browser after a refresh or two. The first time I get a DNS error, then I make it query again and I'll get it but my named logs will show a lame server flag as shown above. In otherwords it's saying "Dunno if this is really correct but this is what I get when I ask the listed NS for an answer."

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63