Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mix
You see a copy of ubb on some free web-host site like yahoo or something, and you know they didn’t pay for it. Even some people here (not going to name anyone) have illegal ubb-boards. If I spend Tons of money for my board so should they, but that impossible with all of these Damn warz going around. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
That's the reason why we don't offer support or help to boards that we suspect are pirated. Infopop has told us that we're not supposed to be the Piracy Police. But usually if they're dumb enough to post a link to an blatantly pirated board, we report them anyway. Some people make it too easy. wink

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Its cool you guys do that. I don't want to be an [censored] or anything but i just hate it when people have free ubb-boards after i payed So much for mine wink

laugh Had to make a new account after i changed my e-mail to the wrong one now i can't get my old account laugh

[ April 28, 2001 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Mix211 ]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'll send your password when I get to my regular pc Mix, it'll be late tomorrow night tho, most likely...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Oh!? THANKS! I was going to move to a new E-mail but i'm staying with this one, so if you can send it to my e-mail in my profile.

Thanks again thats cool of you laugh

Sponsored Links
I really dislike peop-le that use Pirated stuff. I almost thought of asking some of my online hacker freinds, those that use all sorts of stuff that they pirated, if they had a copy I could download. I decided to save up my money though, because that would go against my ethics though this does cost all my money plus an arm and leg. frown

Report any piracy involving UBB to [email protected] and let brett handle it.
Report other piracy at www.bsa.org.

I'm not real big on piracy. I'm not saying that Ive never taken part in useing pirated software, but I havent used a pirated UBB. I remeber when I was in Russia. Piracy is so bad there, I could buy a copy of Microsoft Office 2000 Premium for $3 out of a vending machine at a gas station. And it's English software also. I bought a disk for 50 cents with web applications. UBB 5.xx was on it. But I didn't use it.

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
It's odd how were all very anti-piracy about UBB, but how amny of you have Photoshop huh? You might say that photoshop costs alot, so it's alright to pirate, but in that case take a look at the UBB6 business plans - why is it okay to steal from Adobe but not Infopop? I'm not complaining (nor advocating piracy!) but it's an interesting point.

Just a thought smile

*deletes photoshop from disk*
tipsy

Sponsored Links
Mix
well......I have photoshop. I got it for $300 version 6 too tipsy how? well i'm a student in college i get up to 70% off software (not ubb frown ) the only pirated software i have is....i hate to admit i even have one, but i have a pirated copy of maya4 only do the fact it cost TONS.

[ April 29, 2001 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Mix ]

I got Photoshop for free... sort of.

My brother, computer illiterate, had it bundled with his laptop. He didn't want it, I longed for it, so he gave it to me. Happy day.

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
quote:
Ahh, but here we have a problem. For a reasonably sized company (or any department in a company which globally has 300 or more employees) you have to pay $4,299 (correct as of 18:35 GMT 29/4/2001) for a non-expiring license. To me, that seems TONS. I'm not saying ubb is overpriced, but that people have no problem pirating expensive software. And UBB is expensive software. Anyone see my point? Anyone?

Just a thought smile

No way.. cal has a point? Wow..

Mix
CAL:

I argee with ya. what i mean about maya being Tons of money is that Even if i have a job to pay for ubb. I can't pay for anymore software thats over 100-200$ (be honest i can't even pay for that almost) i'm not really rolling in money but i have the money to pay for ubb for my site. Paying the ubb license is whats costing so much not the program.

[ April 29, 2001 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Mix ]

Well the only pirated software i have is Windows XP Beta 2, but ofcourse i plan to pay for it when its final. I once pirated software alot. I have disks on top of disks of pirated software i got awhile ago! You wouldn't believe the stuff i have on those disks! Do i use it anymore? No. Why do i keep it? Because i own a license for every single piece of software on those disks. Why did i buy it? Piracy is illegal.

I do not pirate software
And I did not have sexual relations with that woman..... laugh laugh

[ April 29, 2001 07:01 PM: Message edited by: The Prohacker ]

quote:
Then why exactly do you use pirated software then tipsy

I have a massive collection of pirated software I bought in Russia. I bought 3D Studio Max, the latest version at the time for about $2 bucks. I will buy the software is I'm going to use it to make money. I actually went out and bought a copy of Visual Studio Enterprise 6.

My thought? It's extremely irksome. mad mad mad (Sorry, a whole line of mad 's would be excessive, so I'll refrain)

I paid $199 for the license (and I believe it's about $125 for renewal). It's not fair to the real UBBers when these sites run an illegal UBB.

quote:

quote:
I dont use pirated software. I own pirated software. I will and do buy it before using it. I run a pirated copy of Windows XP which when its final i will buy.

I really dind't like XP that much laugh
Office XP has promise though......

Office XP is crap. I don't like the fact that it's subscription based.

And I honestly companies arent really loseing money from pirated software. They arent makeing money, but they arent loseing money. If I were to pirate UBB, Infopop wouldn't be loseing money from me because they never would have made it in the first place.

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
this is a good point, and one that can be readily applied the the whole mp3 thing. although itr technically is stealing, the kind of people who download millions of mp3's wouldn't have bought the music anyway. now since i'm the kind of person who buys cds (waaaaaay too many) if i hear a good mp3, i get the album. so in fact i'm, buying more cds than if i didn't listen to mp3s. go figure.

Just a thought smile

hi Offline
some people use pirated ubbs because they are kids who dont have that kind of cash to throw away. I still think they should have cheaper student prices.

You've got a point there, since there are some younger ppl that want to use the UBB, but sure don't have the money for it..

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
(then they should use ikonboard or phpbb)

just because some people can't afford something, doesn't mean it should be cheaper. Lots of people would like to buy a porche, but can't afford it. Does this mean that porche should do a student pricing plan? i don't think so.

Just a thought smile

quote:
Now thats an idea laugh

Doesn't it make you wonder about all these people asking for a free host to put their UBB up on? Come like your going to pay for a full licence and not pay for a host, I'll admit that some people have legal boards on freehosts.....

hi Offline
no, but if you look most online software have student prices. Im not talking about cars or houses, that just would not make since. But for something like a bbs why not? Im 14, I would like UBB, but im not going to spend $250 on it, I just dont have the cash to do that. Take a look, most all software will have student prices, adobe/fireworks/dreamweaver/ect.

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
quote:
I'll ignore the fact that you don't know the difference between a company and a program.

The fact that you've quoted Adobe and Macromedia only illustrates the point further. Adobe, Macromedia, Microsoft, Borland etc. all have very expensive products and are all VERY BIG COMPANIES. Infopop is not a big corporation. Only big companies that produce software targeted at students, have student licenses.

Now lets think about the reason why these companies do student licensing. It's VERY obvious. If you get Adobe Photoshop while you are a student. you learn how to use it. If thousands of students do this, then when they leave uni/college/whatever and go out into industry they will expect to be using Photoshop, so companies who don't use it will adopt it, since all the people they hire want to use it.

Now Infopop is not looking to train up a bunch of students so that they force their future companies to use UBB. A bulletin board is a bulletin board, and a sensible sysadmin will choose the one that fits the job, not the one they got for $50 when they were a student.

I do think that the price of UBB is very high and think it should be lowered, but infopop aren't going to. If you can't afford it, ikonboard is free (at the moment anyway ;)).

Just a thought smile

quote:
I do like your thought and I am strongly for this Porche thing and if they ever come out with this I will start school again wink.

btw I Agree with your last post 100%, the main reason these companies have students plan is cuz it helps them market these products in the Industry.

[ May 06, 2001 01:57 PM: Message edited by: NightSong ]

quote:
Then get an Ikonboard. Last time I looked it was free.

I fortunately could afford my licenses, but if I couldn't I would have gotten an Ikonboard. Geez, its not rocket science, you can either get a free Ikonboard or break a federal law and risk your future with a pirated UBB.

Member / MultiHacker
Member / MultiHacker
I'm no angel, but...

"I pirate it because it costs so much." is one of the worst excuses I have ever heard.

#1, if you NEED the software, chances are you can afford it, due to needing it for business purposes or the like that will earn you a return.

#2, chances are you WANT the software, because you want that neat lens flare your friend uses all the time.

Just because you want something and its more expensive than you can afford, does not mean that you somehow deserve it because you WANT it.

I want a nicer car than I own... mind if I just take yours? You will pipe down and not tell the cops and say "Well, he WANTED it, so he should have it!"... I think not.

Don't try and use the "It's software, they still have a copy and don't lose anything!" excuse either... Gimme 500 bucks, because I want it... smile

Like I said I'm no angel, but I call it like I see it. Don't try and justify your faults, it just looks weak. wink

Can't help but jump in on this one.

First off, any of you admitting to software piracy on a public forum are morons. It's illegal, and you've all just confessed to a crime.

How do you know when a UBB is pirated anyway? Sometimes it may or may not be obvious, especially when you're dealing with someone like me with an expired subscription hacking older versions of the board.

Every programmer I know got started using pirated versions of their compilers, such as Microsoft Visual Studio. Having had full access to the tool they gained the ability to use it properly, and subsequently went on to get great jobs and buy full versions of the software and other software related to their jobs.

It's very cause and effect in that sense - the companies price the products higher because they're so pirated, and that makes it impossible for a student or anyone without a great job to learn the software. Those in this predicament either pirate the software and learn how to use it or don't learn it and become gas station attendants until they put themselves through school.

As a software developer, I'm very torn on this issue. I want to get paid for my work. That means people have to use my software. What we do here is write free client software and charge for the servers, which makes sense under our models.

I think companies should just release free versions of all these powerful tools with watermarking. Everyone can learn the products and make non-commercial work with them, then when they're employed as a result of their skills they can buy the full product.

That's just my opinion.

[ May 16, 2001 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Shockwave ]

Hmm.....
If about 5000 people bought a UBB that means......
250x5000=1250000

HOLY COW!
They made 1.25 million on this software.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63