Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74890 07/26/2001 2:42 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Hey, how do you make an Icon for your site/forums whenever someone adds it to their favorites/bookmarks?

EXAMPLE: http://forums.ff9hq.com/

Once you add that URL to your favorites it makes a small icon to the left of the title, instead of the boring HTML document icon.

Hopefully you understand what I am saying here, but how do you do this?

Sponsored Links
#74891 07/26/2001 2:46 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Thats a vB if your trying to do it with a UBB. But I am totally confused about what your talking about, Sorry.

#74892 07/26/2001 2:54 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Try adding those Forums to your favorites. Than go to your favorites and you will find a little icon next to the title.

#74893 07/26/2001 3:02 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Oh that, There is a icon called ubbicon.ico (Something like that) All you need to do is upload the pic you want over the normal one. Do ya get a icon when you add a UBB 6 to favourites?

#74894 07/26/2001 3:11 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
No. I don't get any icon whenever I add a UBB to my favorites. Only vBulletin. I have UBBDev.com on my favorites list and I never got an icon from it.

Sponsored Links
#74895 07/26/2001 4:03 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
I got a icon when I added a v5 to my list, Maybe they got rid of it in UBB 6 I'm not sure.

#74896 07/26/2001 4:14 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Well I DID get a ubbicon.ico from my 6.05 install. I put it into my non-cgi folder since the install had it placed in there. I am not so sure. Could just be my browser. Does anyone else get a UBBIcon when adding a UBB 6.0xx?

#74897 07/26/2001 4:23 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 6,708
I just added Ubbdev.com to my Favourites and no icon appeared. But I know the ubbicon.ico has something to do with this.

#74898 07/26/2001 4:49 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 565
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 565
Put a favicon.ico (exactly this name) in the directory of the files you want it to appear on.

For example, if you want it to appear in the address bar when load up index.htm, just upload Favicon.ico into the same directory index.htm is located smile

#74899 07/26/2001 4:52 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 315
Ok thanks MorphStar. I will try that and get back to ya. wink

Sponsored Links
#74900 07/26/2001 7:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
the icon name is not relevant. you must add this to the header of your pages that you want the icon to appear on
Code
code:


jeremiah
#74901 07/26/2001 8:14 AM
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 568
Moderator / Fish
Moderator / Fish
Offline
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 568
no, if it's called favicon.ico it's automatically picked up by IE5 and Konqueror as well.

You'd be best using something like Icon Forge (5.46mb) to create a 16x16, 16 colour icon.

#74902 07/26/2001 3:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
Quote
quote:
Cool, that is always good to know smile Did not know that!

Where do you get konqueror? Is it a decent browser? I have seen it in my stats but only low numbers.

Thanks Sally


jeremiah
#74903 07/27/2001 4:25 AM
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 568
Moderator / Fish
Moderator / Fish
Offline
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 568
well it's not just a browser. Quoted from the site:

Quote
quote:
http://www.konqueror.org

#74904 08/01/2001 7:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 594
http://www.wiredon.net/favicon/

Doh! Accidentally hit enter :rolleyes:

Anyway, this site will let you create your favorites icon right in your browser (but only if your browser is IE 5.5 or Greater)

laugh

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]


jeremiah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Posts: 21,080
Joined: March 2000
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 4613
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 10
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)