Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
if I want to find out if the user payed for his/hers ubb how can i find out? contact infopop?

Sponsored Links
These are the ways I know....

-Outdated Version. (It doesn't really mean it's pirated but someone using v6.0 should have upgraded to a near or latest version of ubb 6.0 since there have been alot of bugfixes and security risks fixed)
-Copyright Removed. (It might be there but not visable, but if it's removed that could mean they removed it manually or it's pirated)

Can't figure out any more... confused

Don't try to figure it out, just email Brett at [email protected] and let them sort it out.

Infopop has a database of the UBB licenses with ties to website addresses and possibly email addresses. If you report a site that their DB shows is valid, the owner will never know a report was submitted. Otherwise they will get an email message from Infopop. Either way, that is the best approach, when in doubt or in the know, just email [email protected]

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: SWFan ]

Coder
Coder
quote:
For obvious reasons I run v5.42a and am definatly legitamite.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
New installation of older versions would be more suspect than existing older versions.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Sponsored Links
quote:
Uh...what obvious reasons are you referring to? Just curious, but I can't think of any reason offhand to stay at 5.42 and not go to 6.X, or at least 5.47X...Well that's not completely accurate, I can think of one reason, not wanting to rehack it; however, I do believe that between 5.42 and 5.47X a LOT of security holes were found and patched, so it is probably a very good idea to upgrade. If you have another reason, I'd be interested in hearing it though.

-DT
Developer
Developer
Hostboard has a lot of custom perl programming - programmign that's beyond standard Perl hacks but more like automated tasks when someone is made a moderator, registered, etc. That's their reason why (so I hear).

qasic

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
There's lots of legitimate 5.45c forums out there running some fairly large sites.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Plenty of reasons to keep running an older board...
  1. Admin doesn't want to re-hack board
  2. Admin did not renew member area sub when expired
  3. Admin waiting for system issues to be resolved in v6
  4. Admin prefers the vast selection of v5 hacks to those currently available in v6
  5. Admin prefers having static html pages
  6. Admin Lazy

People who own a legal non-expiring license of the software are free to continue to run whatever version they want. Not everyone feels compelled to upgrade, especially if they are pleased with the current state of their board.

As it has been said many times before, older UBB™'s doesn't equate pirated boards. Fresh new installations of older versions, or older beta's are probably more suspect.

In any case, Infopop has the capacity to determine whether or not a board is legal, and what action to take. If you run across a suspicious looking board, let IP sort it out. e-Mail: piracy@infopop.com

Topic Closed!

laugh

-Tacks

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: tackaberry ]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63