Print Thread
Rate Thread
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
IMO:

1. MSN IM.
2. AIM.
3. ICQ (used to be my favorite, but now it's buggy)
4. Yahoo (ewwww wink )

Sponsored Links
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm a relic. I don't use any of them wink

-Tacks

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
I have all of them. IMO not one of them has a killer feature that sets it above the rest. I think ICQ added a spell check in the latest release but it's so overall buggy it doesn't make it worth it.

I stick with AIM because that's what most of my friends use. I'll run ICQ once in a blue moon too and only use MSN to chat with my grandmother on her WebTV.

The key is interoperability. Once all these IM clients share member lists THEN it will be a question of which one is most feature rich and stable.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
trillian handles all of them fairly well, they should have a new version out soon.

I actually prefer MSN IM for it's speed and feature set, AIM is next, ICQ, then yahoo...

www.trillian.cc

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
ICQ and AIM.

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
I have to vote for AIM personally. I have like 50 or 60 people on my buddy list (small compared to some, I know, but still...) that I don't really feel liek transferring to any other program. It's fast, small, and non-bugtacular. And it just gets the job done. And hey, buddy icons!

Call me a hypocrite, but MSNIM just reeks of Microsoft - specifically, Microsoft trying to convince me that they're smarter than me in everything I want to do on the internet. And Microsoft trying to convince me that they're the absolute pinnacle of all things communicative. I'm almost driven to the point of disgust, when MSNIM comes literally attached to Outlook Express (yes, I do use that for email) - it starts when OE starts and doesn't quit unless I force it to. And Microsoft says they're not trying to bundle things. mad

ICQ is also decent, just cuz I (used to) use it for so long. The single thing that bugs me about ICQ, though, is it doesn't remotely store your buddy list. With as many computer problems I've had lately, and now being stuck downstairs on the public computers, I can run AIM and have my full buddy list no matter where I am or what I'm doing. In ICQ, every time you format, you lose your buddy list. And I don't feel like memorizing so many strings of numbers, really. It took me long enough to memorize my own number.

Yahoo, well, just, um, NO! Blech. I honestly believe Yahoo should never have attempted to become anything more than a search engine.

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
1 - Old school ICQ (<2000a)
2 - New ICQs (2000, 2001)
3 - Jabber
4 - MSNIM
5 - Yahoo
6 - Odigo
7 - AIM

Nuff said. AIM is at the bottom not because of the interface but because of the idiots that try and IM me whenever I pop on. Interface & technology & whatever-wise, it's around MSN...

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
AIM by far, but i LOVE Windows Messenger's features like whiteboard smile it's great laugh

P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
quote:
the new version released this week stores your buddy list remotely

--mark

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
Kahuna
Kahuna
1) AIM
2) MSN
3) ICQ
4) Yahoo

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
Sponsored Links
I agree with Travis.

1)AIM
2)MSN
3)ICQ
4)Yahoo.

1) Msn
2) Icq
3) Yahoo
4) Aim

beacause all of my friends use msn and it is good with much futures....

1. AIM
2. MSN
3. ICQ (too much memory usage, ICQ numbers are hard to remember)
4. Yahoo

Trillian isn't bad either...

quote:
haha, I know what you're talking about Skorpion. I also use OE for email, and this has proven to be quite the annoyance (even though I never use it). wink

I stick with AIM. Everyone I know has it, and it works great for me. laugh

Bob Offline
Member / Eejit
Member / Eejit
I use AIM, MSN & ICQ (although, to be honest, I only use AIM because of one or two people (that includes you Jamin! tipsy )).

I must say, I like them all, but I like MSN the most, although it treats me like an idiot, I like it's interface .. and seens as I use WinXP its pretty much a core operating system component (i.e, I can't remove it without first applying the hack.) so, I have just learned to live with it .. and I like it!

If I'm leavin' with a broken heart you're leavin' with a broken nose ... ~ Jettingham - Cheating
Moderator / Fish
Moderator / Fish
hmmm depends what I'm doing
in general I prefer icq, especially now since you can upload your contact list to the icq servers so you won't lose it, that used to be my biggest gripe with the program.
msn's ok for convinience and speed...although it only has minimal features compared to icq.
yahoo's only good for voice chats

aim plain sucks tipsy

RTJ Offline
1.)MSN
2.)ICQ
3.)Yahoo
4.)AIM

AIM cause everyone i need to talk to is on it, then agane i hacked mine to go over theblist limit and have no ads, custom imags and colors, yes i have WAY to much time on my hands

msn
------------------------------------
prefer icq above all else for sheer versatility. i can queue a send file while they are offline, i can get im's while im offline (biggest plus), i can read the history of anything i do. (big plus when disputes arise hehe) filesharing is neat and its a lot more streamlined with the latest version. yes its a pain to setup but once done its a fine tuned little bugger. aim is cool because many people i know are on it, but file transfers really are buggy and firewall denials happen all to often. msn has cool paging features to cell phones and text pagers, and u can change ur name on the fly hehe. with offline icqs tho i barely ever email at all

Bob Offline
Member / Eejit
Member / Eejit
I use MSN, AIM and ICQ. I could probably survive with just ICQ, but it's easier this way, my fav is probably MSN .. I just like it.

If I'm leavin' with a broken heart you're leavin' with a broken nose ... ~ Jettingham - Cheating
aim... easy to use, although ICQ 2000a was pretty cool... MSN is OK, and Y! is just plain not good.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
New version of Trillian released recently ( 0.70 ) - very nice... www.trillian.cc

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Bob Offline
Member / Eejit
Member / Eejit
Trillian 0.70 rules! I am using it now, and I like it all hella kinds of muchos!! It rocks, I strongly suggest anyone who uses more than one IM client downloads it now.

indeed

thanks allen

i liked the new icq version alot too. keeping the buddy list at the server is great. also aim and y! do this already. i liked icq's spell checker too, it wasnt buggy for me and it had my language. i havent used msn yet, and odigo had bugs all around (v2.0 at least), but it had an interesting feature set. my entries would be

1) icq
2) aim
3) gooey (is it dead?)
4) odigo
5) y!

im currently using an icq + trillian combo, opening aim just when i need to add buddys to the list (trillian wont save new buddies in the server).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
new version of trillian released... lots of bug fixes and now lets you know when a newer version is out smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Yay, I can use AIM now smile laugh

1. AIM
2. ICQ
3. MSN
4. Y(!)uck

AIM has more overall features, with a nicer interface IMHO...AIM > MSN for sure because of buddy icons and being able to tell it what order to put your buddys in, not forcing you to be alphabetical. Plus, the banner in AIM is a lot smaller. ICQ > MSN because in both of them you can change your display name, and in ICQ you can change other people's display names on your computer...that's good; Sometimes people use names other than what you know them as. There's other reasons I like AIM, but I can't think of them at the moment, I just like them, heh. laugh

-DT
Why all the old topics?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63