Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81746 02/23/2002 9:12 PM
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Let's say that you sit down in front of your computer and open the browser. You are looking for a new internet experience. What would a site have to present you with to really get and hold your attention?

Graphics?

Audio?

Forums?

What type of content?

What would you like to see that you've never found at sites you visit now?

What sites have you happened across lately that really struck you as unique?

Sponsored Links
#81747 02/23/2002 9:56 PM
Graphics would definately make the experiance a good one... Auto is good but only when its good audio... Like constant music that doens't get on your nerves and that plays even while pages load... Like by putting the script in the main frame... And recently because i know html i've been looking for a site where people who are starting web pages (like fan pages or game pages or non profit pages) but need a partner (for free) to help them out post msgs. I know how to make good webpages i just have ZERO contentability for them. But unfortunately i haven't found any site like this... and if i did come by one of these sites i'd have to kiss the webmaster...

Anything like that would be good... A forum where people post there webpage wants and then people make the general layout for them and the person picks the best one or something along these lines... For graphics to... I'm actually dissapointed at the amount of requests in the graphic section of this page... 1 or two people always get there befor me...

Look ma' No hands
#81748 02/23/2002 10:36 PM
Content would be my first thing I notice, what sort of content, how much content, is it good content or crap etc. etc.
Second would be the Sites Looks, as in Graphics, Layout and Design. Is it a copied layout? Is it the "Same old thing" etc. etc.

#81749 02/24/2002 4:51 AM
things i never seen before

#81750 02/24/2002 1:43 PM
Graphics?
Yes. I think a site without graphics make it bland and very un-unique (is that a word?)
On my site, the one thing it's lacking, in my opinion, is graphics. But if I tried to make graphics to put on the site, it'd just mess up everything.

Audio?
NO! That bothers the crap out of me, trying to listen to music on my computer and visiting a site with annoying music in the background. Uhg!

Forums?
Yeah, a good way to interact.

What type of content?
Something I've never seen before.

What would you like to see that you've never found at sites you visit now?
More interactivty. I try to use a lot at my site.

What sites have you happened across lately that really struck you as unique?
http://www.avius.ws

Sponsored Links
#81751 02/24/2002 1:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
Second would be the Sites Looks, as in Graphics, Layout and Design. Is it a copied layout? Is it the "Same old thing" etc. etc.

For my website. I tried to do something different than the basic layout... top portion with banner, left nav with links, content, right nav with poll.
Any sites I see that are in a different fasion than than usually draw me in right away, because you're thinking "This person has a unique layout, the content will probably be unique too."

#81752 02/24/2002 1:56 PM
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Graphics? Yes, definitely!

Audio? It matters even more than graphics, I don't visit sites with audio wink .

Forums? Not really...

What type of content? Original.

What would you like to see that you've never found at sites you visit now? The newest vB for download wink just kidding, I guess I'd like to see a very original look for the forums. (even though there are atleast 3 some original ones in the current spotlight, IMO, but I mean something that might change the forums' future, like UBB's flat [not unlike mysql, unlike threaded] show idea)

What sites have you happened across lately that really struck you as unique? www.msn.com . I know you (and I) hate Microsoft, but their portal is cute!

#81753 02/24/2002 2:12 PM
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Thanks for the great answers. I don't hate Microsoft though, I've been making my living knowing their OS's since DOS 1.0 when it was first released on cassette. Yeah, the original PC was available with a cassette drive and I had one.

Another question though if you would, can you post links to sites that grabbed your attention visually the very first time you opened their home page. The first impression you got before you even knew what they had to offer content wise.

And audio is something that I have never put in any of my sites. I leave the sound turned off on my laptop just because of how annoying it can be when surfing the net doing research for my job.

#81754 02/24/2002 3:33 PM
Like I already said:
http://www.avius.ws
Has a really original design. Not much content, but I think the guy's in college.

Another one is:
http://www.spoono.com
The site is down right now (Should be back up in March), but when it is back up, check it out... awesome design.

#81755 02/24/2002 3:35 PM
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Spoono have been one of my favorites for quite some time...very well done site.

Sponsored Links
#81756 02/25/2002 6:04 PM
This site totally sliped my mind. :rolleyes: Theres not much content because its this guys portfolio. He did a layout for me a little over a year and a half ago. (rctcentral.com was the url its been down for a long time... Nobody would have happened to gone to it befor woudl they?) This was befor i really knew much about html or the webber-net... Its great stuff check it out and tell me what you think, i think its amazing as far as the graphics go...

Check him out right here...

I'd say this is the site that most caught my attention.

Look ma' No hands
#81757 02/26/2002 12:10 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Graphics: It's got to be fast...I don't have the patience to wait for an entire page of graphics to load...granted with cable it isn't as much a problem it used to be. Just don't stream anything

Audio: What? You mean I would actually enable the audio on my computer...that's a thought

Forums: If I'm new to a site, than I probably won't bother...no, it's not newbie fear, but, there are other things I look at before I wander off to converse with people I'll never know wink

What type of content: If it wasn't what I was looking for, then 'm gone. Have to have good content.

What would you like to see that you've never found at sites you visit now: What I'm looking for wink Seriously though. There is a lot of junk out there on the net. Every 13 yeaar who can write meta tags will lure you to their crummy site. Whatever interest your site is focusing on, try to make sure you cover it well, and execute it well. Most of all, make it clean and easy to use.

What sites have you happened across lately that really struck you as unique: Can't say I've seen anything that jumps at me. Guess I don't go to cool sites wink

#81758 02/26/2002 2:46 PM
quote:
What would a site have to present you with to really get and hold your attention?

Neked ladies wink laugh

Audi-Sport.net the only forum guaranteed to kill any server!
#81759 02/26/2002 8:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wando™:
quote:
What would a site have to present you with to really get and hold your attention?

Neked ladies wink laugh
Hahahaha
quote:
Every 13 yeaar who can write meta tags will lure you to their crummy site.
I'm 13, and my site is NOT crummy! :hiss: wink I'm kidding.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63