Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Do avatars/images displayed on your UBB.classic via images from other URLs contribute to your bandwidth?

Sponsored Links
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
No, but the other sites can change the images at any time to something offensive, ugly or whatever, so it's not suggested wink

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
I saw that done one time... it was pretty funny. tipsy

Content Queen
Content Queen
It does STEAL the bandwidth from the site you've direct-linked to; thus, it's considered a no-no to do so.

Sue
adwoff.com
Old Hand
Old Hand
I agree with Sue.

I'll move this topic to Chit Chat for further debate. smile

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
It is a big issue actually. It can be combatted however with the http referer...help me here if you can. I believe the command is something like this.

[code][/code]Can one of you gurus here help me out and show us the easy way to implement this kind of restriction?

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Create a .htaccess file and put the code below in it, then upload it to the directory you want to protect. Make sure you upload in ASCII.

[code][/code]

Content Queen
Content Queen
I posted about this in the modifications suggestions in the 6.3 area.

At my test site, one of my mods direct linked her avatar to an outside site.

Would Matt's code/instructions prevent this from happening, or is Matt's code designed to keep others from direct linking to *my site*?

If Matt's doesn't prevent direct linking to other sites, could someone please create a hack for that purpose (to be used with the avatar feature for 6.3)?

There's just no way I can monitor where all the avatars come from in my community; it's growing too rapidly.

Sue
adwoff.com
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Hi Sue, I posted this in the other thread but it deserves repeating. I cured that problem by removing the members rights to link to a custom avatar. Let them get to a certain post amount or some other plateau and then go into the CP and assign them yourself. I have a custom folder in my noncgi dir. that I use for them and all is well.

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I won't say that this implementation of mod_rewrite is perfect (cause it ain't), but I will say that this method works quite well (cause it does).

Sponsored Links
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by XPerT.x:
Hi Sue, I posted this in the other thread but it deserves repeating. I cured that problem by removing the members rights to link to a custom avatar. Let them get to a certain post amount or some other plateau and then go into the CP and assign them yourself. I have a custom folder in my noncgi dir. that I use for them and all is well.

Ah, the lightbulb goes on here. laugh I see what you've done.

In playing with this at my test site, I can't get it to accept a "custom" link via the control panel. It keeps defaulting to the very first graphic in the custom folder. frown

Sue
adwoff.com
Content Queen
Content Queen
Never mind! I figured it out. laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Awesome, it is a bit more work but it certainly solves the problem.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by Bookie:
I saw that done one time... it was pretty funny. tipsy

I've seen it done too... works pretty well tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
Matt your rules implementation is broken .... somewhat.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$

Says if there is no refer. If I have your site bookmarked, close my browser, open my browser it loads your site. with no refer. see where I am going?

Also... depending on your version.. you can write it this way:
Code
[/code]saves you from duplicating. doesn't work for all versions. works on my server. some of my mod_rewrite rules don't work on this server though.     :confused:   anyway... worth a try. if you can save a few steps.

I wouldn't write the rules that way however. For reasons such as the bookmark reason. I have a site on my server that is very popular and had the same problem as UBBdev. 25% of their bandwidth was being siphoned by other sites linking to thier downloads and images. I started with rules almost just like yours although I redirected to a page that explained why hotlinking was bad. almost immediately got emails of complaint from legit users that had bookmarked the site. I did what Allen did. I identified from my logs all the sites that needed to be blocked and targeted them.

[code]
That stopped all the emails from legit users and stuck my html page in the middle of badsite.net's pages. notice I didn't redirect to an image because my rules would have setup a never ending loop. Yes, I do have to audit my logs regularly to maintain my rules but I do that anyway.

edit - typos, typos.....

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Content Queen
Content Queen
I have a rather ignorant question to ask (no comments from the cheap seats tipsy )-- how can I tell if someone is direct linking to my site?

I'm a relative newbie to having my own domain (a little over a year), so I'm not as up to speed on the inner-workings producing reports, et al.

------

If I'm seeing a huge problem with the direct linking, I'd love to implement Matt/Navaho's scripts -- which means I'm gonna be back, asking lots of questions! laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
If you have access logs, check the referrers.

i see this question has been answered but here is a nice little site I found a while back that might help someone.

http://www.hostingmanual.net/other/htfun.shtml

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by Shinju:
i see this question has been answered but here is a nice little site I found a while back that might help someone.

http://www.hostingmanual.net/other/htfun.shtml

Thanks, Shinju! That's great stuff to learn about.

LK, I'll search for that info when I get home from work tonight. laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Hmm, thanks for the tips, Nav! smile

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
If you have access logs, check the referrers.

Okay, I found the access logs, and there are tons of "referrers." What would I look for to know if someone is syphoning off my site's graphics?

Sue
adwoff.com
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Try to search for .gif and .jpg, and check if all referrers are from adwoff. If you see some other URLs, just access them to see your graphics there, and then add the domain to .htaccess tipsy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63