Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86514 11/19/2002 5:10 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'll post this as a 'sticky' here as a reminder to us what features have been added to ubb classic since the original 6.0 was released. It doesn't take into account the minor bugfixes releases, but does give us an idea of the more significant changes to the code. I would guess ~60-70% of the features you see added here began in some form as modifications of some type here at ubbdev smile

Here's Infopop's ChangeLog which contains all features and bugfixes added for each major and minor version smile

I'll update this as releases are sent out:

UBB� 6.01 released (March 22, 2001)
- Member Info screen.
- Floodcheck is now used on registration.

UBB� 6.1 Released (October 19, 2001)
- Optional UBB� Accelerator for enhanced efficiency & speed.
- Custom user titles (admin definable).
- Greatly enhanced control panel member management & search features � search for members by an almost infinite combination of queries.
- Custom Graemlins (up to 25).
- New Wordlet� upgrade & management tool � now you no longer need to overwrite custom Wordlet text during upgrades.
- Entire file locking scheme changed to prevent corruption issues; depending upon server or load, some boards may appear to react more slowly because the various processes are being properly queued.
- Improved upgrade tool; allows admin to simply upload an upgrade zip and click the button to complete an upgrade.
- Ability to post without cookies (some functions still require).
- Control panel ban list feature now has "reverse ban" option (IP or email).
- Admin logging shows history of admin activities.
- Private messages outbox, including ability to see whether message has been read yet.
- Improved control panel entry area, with expanded hit counter and quick links to resources.
- �Update post indicators� link added to user profiles.
- Added dozens of other minor enhancements.

UBB version 6.2 released (January 28, 2002)
- Enhanced tools for COPPA support
- User birth date field (required for COPPA, optional if you have not enabled COPPA)
- Post preview function
- Printer-friendly topic view
- XHTML templates (~99% compliant, thanks to Allen Ayres of UBBDev!)
- "Recent Visitors", a superior implementation of "Who's Online"
- UBB Accelerator updated to comply with PHP 4.1.0's new security model
- After a reply or edit, you are now taken to your post in the topic
- Enhancements to the user search feature (new searchable fields, such as IP at registration, IP at last post, and birth date)
- Topic authors may now toggle email notification by editing their post (they may turn it on if off, and off if on)
- Private forums may now be set to disallow new topics or replies (previously, new topics and replies were forced 'on')
- Added Recent Visitors Wordlet list to control panel
- Added email Wordlet list to control panel

UBB 6.2.1 Released (February 18, 2002)
- introduces the new polling feature to the UBB
- Also added is a new Recent Visitors Admin review area that will allow Administrators to opt to show a more in-depth look at recent visitors including guests and invisible users.

UBB.classic 6.3.0 released (May 09, 2002)
- Added user avatars allowing the admin to specify avatar size, supply avatars, or allow users to link to an avatar.
- Users can choose whether to see other user avatars or not.
- Updated the search feature to use less memory and search more accurately.
- Added the ability for Admins to filter words from being searched for. This helps tailor the search for your site.
- Added the ability to turn off the display the home page link, as well as the contact us link.
- Updated the mail library for increased error checking and return of error warnings.
- Added custom Member Title Levels.
- Added the ability to create and use custom HTML and style templates.
- Added ability to import or export style sets to exchange with other UBB admins
- Added the ability to match a forum's transition templates to the forum.
- Update the message icons (same icons, just better cleaner looking).
- Added select all link to user search results.
- Added confirmation when deleting users.
- Remove the ability for an Admin to delete him/her self.
- Improved the "bread crumbs" navigation after using control panel functions.
- More XHTML improvements and fixed (thanks Allen Ayres).

UBB.classic 6.3.1 released (July 25, 2002)
- Mass Move - allows you to move many topics from one or more forums into another forum
- Control Panel Wordlets - the entire control panel has now been converted to use Wordlets, allowing easy translation
- Updated Wordlet editor - now uses pages for faster loading
- Updated Control Panel Entry - now includes more information & quick links to common functions
- Editable FAQ - the board FAQ can now be edited from the control panel
- Jump to New Posts link - Located at the top of each topic - when clicked, it takes users to the posts in that topic that were made after their last visit to the board. Also known as the "blue arrow". [Linked Image]
- "Topic moved" icon - indicates if a topic was moved rather than closed. [Linked Image]
- "Report Post" link - allows users to mail the forum moderator and board administrator about a post he or she feels is inappropriate. [Linked Image]
- Mail topic starter on move - Administrators and Moderators now have the option of mailing the topic starter when his or her topic is moved
- New email preference for users - if toggled on by the board administration, users may now have a mailing form presented rather than their email address. Only registered members may mail others using the mail form.
- Admin reserved login & public names - both full and partial names may now be reserved using the Registration Settings area of the control panel
- Optional removal of Instant UBBCode� / Graemlin links from the posting template - the admin may now disable the Instant UBBCode� and Instant Graemlin links on the topic/reply/edit/private message forms. This option only disables the links, not the UBBCode or Graemlin features themselves.
- Updated JC Template set
- Misc. other changes and improvements
- New Control Panel layout - reworked to be even easier to use. Now uses Wordlets� entirely to make translation even easier.

UBB.classic 6.4 released (12/25/2002)
  • Content Islands that allow you to feature your board's content on the rest of your site. The Content Islands also support RSS news feeds.
  • A searchable Community Directory.
  • The ability for an Admin to view the board when it is turned off.
  • Simplified Upgrade procedures. The "Upgrade Button" will now run any necessary maintanance procedures for you.
  • Today's Active Topics is now a rolling 24 hour period rather then rolling over at midnight every night. Great if you have users in more than one time zone.
  • User passwords in the uber cookie are now MD5 hashes.
  • User level based permission to allow users to set their own custom titles.
  • Time based edit options. Allows users to only edit their posts within an admin settable time frame after posting.
  • Time based "edit by" options. Admins can set when the "edited by" message should appear, if at all.
  • Toggle for last post column (and contents) in forum summary.
  • Toggle for last post column (and contents) in topic list.
  • Forum summmary last post now links to the actual post.
  • "Re: " is now added before replies to topics in forum summary.
  • Forum name in <title> tag in topic list has been added.
  • Added <label> tags & some CSS magic to forms in the control panel for greater usability & accessability.

UBB 6.5 Released (February 21, 2003):
  • Featured topics. (sticky threads)
  • Private Message notification.
  • Signature length limit adjustments for admin.
  • Admins now have the ability to set the board to send a welcome PM to new registrants. The private message is customizable.
  • New favicon.
  • User adjustable date/time view. (timezones)

UBB.classic version 6.6 released (Sept. 4, 2003)

What's new? The entire control panel is what's new! This is not a re-skin or a cosmetic update. The entire control panel has been rewritten from scratch making it quicker to find the controls you need and making it easier to use them. It has been thoroughly modernized and greatly simplified and streamlined. Using DHTML, tabs, expandors, simplified wording, check boxes instead of radios, and more modern web standards we've made a control panel that is easy to use, less cluttered,and easy to expand upon. The new control panel does come with new browser requirements (requirements for the front end are still as they have been). Please see below for a note on these requirements.

Along with the redesign are some new functionality enhancements to even further make your administrating tasks easier, such as:
- Added the ability to prune more than one forum at a time
- You can delete declined members from the Moderation queue
- You can moderate user registration requests in the queue and opt to bypass sending notification email.
- Actions from the User search screen are far more streamlined.
- Mass mails can be sent directory from the user search results screen allowing for a more fine grained search and more targeted email lists. The former 200 user emails limit has also been removed.
- The 4 moderator per forum limit is gone. No more limit.

We've also added some other smaller updates.

- COPPA registration procedures updated.
- User email preferences are not filled in at registration time by default. The registrant now must opt in or out of mass emails at registration time.

Browser requirements (for the control panel)-

MSIE 5.5 or up for Windows
Netscape 6.2 and higher, all platforms
Opera 7.0 and higher, all platforms
MSIE 5.2 and higher for Mac
Safari 1.0
Any Gecko based browser

UBB.classic 6.7 released (02/03/2004)

- Spider-friendly URL option to allow your board to be indexed by most major search engines.
- Member Moderation Queue notification mails now include quick links to approve or decline the new member directly.
- Import/export tool to import your data from competitor's products, as well as from other Infopop products.
- Individual forums may now have a default DaysPrune that overrides the user preference.
- Category enhancements, including style templates, category descriptions, the ability to hide categories, and collapse categories.
- Users may now subscribe to topics when replying.
- Unsubscription links are included in all topic subscription emails.
- Updated the My Profile page layout. New links have been added to your own post history and list of subscribed topics.
- New profile edit confirmation screen allows users to see a preview of their signatures and public profile information.
- User logins and visits are now tracked by date and IP. Tools to search for user activity using login and visit dates have been added to the Member Management area of the control panel.
- Administrators (only) may now view or add notes to a user profile via the control panel.
- A link has been added to a user's public profile that allows an admin to jump directly to that user's edit page.
- Multiple forums may be searched at once (a multiple select box is used instead of a drop-down menu), and categories may be searched. Admins must enable these features.
- New admin option to restrict public profile viewing to registered users only.
- New admin option to hide member numbers from view entirely on the front end.
- New admin option to hide the "Moderated by: " text inside a forum. This is to make things cleaner if there is no moderator.
- A new Quick Reply box has been added to the bottom of each topic. Admins or users may choose to hide the box. This saves one page view every time it is used, and saves two if you have the iframe post review feature turned on.
- New user preferences to check (or uncheck) the "Show Signature" or "Disable Graemlins in this post" boxes on the posting forms by default.
- Admins may now force all registered users to review the user agreement upon their next visit to the board. This will also trigger a date check if the user has not provided a birthday. This provides and easy way to ensure that your users see changes to your user agreement if you change it.
- The minimum age required to pass the age check is now admin-defined.
- New "Remember Me" box on the login form (checked by default) allows users to optionally be logged out at the end of their browser sessions.
- Users may now be given express permission to use an avatar, even if they normally could not. This control is available under the Permissions tab in the control panel edit profile page.
- Forums sorted by topic subject are now also indexed by date, meaning they can be sources for Content Islands, and can be the target of a prune or mass move.
- Updated the way Member and Forum metadata are built to ensure that we stay within many hosting provider memory limits.
- Updated age verification implementation, including, but not limited to, the changes noted above.
- The UBBCode page has been updated to properly use Wordlets.
- UBBCode and URLs are no longer included in signature length checks.
- Admins can now add users via the control panel.
- Control panel reskinned to match ubbcentral.com.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
6.4:
- Certian Users can choose their own Custom Title
- Passwords in cookies now encrypted
- Members Directory
- Content Islands
- Half-off (only admins can see the board while other users get an error)
- Improved Upgrade process

These are only the ones in Oct/Nov newsletters!
If you find any other new feature in http://flare.solareclipse.net that 6.3.1 doesn't have, it's also new smile

CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
quote:

I was gonna turn that into a hack tonight too... Bah frown

Ah, well, one less thing to hack when we eventually see 6.4 final... wink Thanks Allen smile

I thought half off was a price reduction? wink

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I wish, I'd get a dozen of'm then laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
quote:
Originally posted by CTM:
quote:
[qb]
[/qb]
I was gonna turn that into a hack tonight too... Bah frown

Ah, well, one less thing to hack when we eventually see 6.4 final... wink Thanks Allen smile
I like this idea, guess will need to take a look at implementing it on our own.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Doing it was a real PITA.

The code that decides whether you're logged in or not isn't until after the code that decides the board on/off state. Getting it done required rearranging that entire block... Need I mention the hacking I had to do in order to make the "The board is in admin-only mode" message show up for admins when viewing the board?

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Hard:
I thought half off was a price reduction? wink
It isn't?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
List updated with impending 6.4 release smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
List updated with 6.4 final list and release date laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
List updated with 6.5's upcoming features smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Any expansion for Content Islands and Sticky in the new release?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Besides a bugfix or 2, I don't think any changes have been made for CI. "Sticky Threads" in Infopop terminology is 'featured topics' smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hahaa...I see. Well I guess I'll stick with my trusty 6.4 for now, or until I have an itch to redo the board again. laugh

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thread updated with 6.5 final info smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Content Queen
Content Queen
Allen or anyone else in the "know" ... two questions about the 6.5.0 release

First, in the active topics, why is the "raw code" shown ... example, in Allen's last message he used the smile ... in the active topics, it showed up as the colon/right parenthesis. Is that by design?

Second, how does one get the favicon to show up? laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
For the favicon.ico file, just drop one in your noncgi directory (if I recall).

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I believe Charles had to make the decision on whether to show graphics in the active topics or not... doing so could really whack any layout you might have due to eejits posting huge graphics smile Showing just the raw code makes for quicker downloads as well, plus, people who've been around just a short while understand what each means, so most of the message isn't lost smile

favicons... you upload it and when someone decides to save a link to your forum in their favorites, it shows up, tho I could be wrong tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
favicons... you upload it and when someone decides to save a link to your forum in their favorites, it shows up, tho I could be wrong tipsy
Oh, okay. Cool. tipsy

I thought it was supposed to appear in the browser address bar. I'll have to test it out! [edit to add in: it works! tipsy ]

Regarding the "raw code"--that makes sense, too. I just wanted to be sure that was the design since before--you just didn't see the smilies, et al. laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Allen is correct the favicon appears next to the link when its added to the Favorites. The favicon only shows up in the address bar if you already favorite placed the board. It will keep appearing there and in your Favorites until IE's cache is cleared.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Mozilla and other Gecko based browsers show the favicon even if the site isn't bookmarked.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Veteran
Veteran
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
Mozilla and other Gecko based browsers show the favicon even if the site isn't bookmarked.
IMHO its a better way of using the favicon. I think ie5 used to behave that way too

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Content Queen
Content Queen
I have another question about the favicon laugh

I'd like to have my "own" to use--and I believe at Infopop, they said that all I needed to do was rename a file to that.

My question is this: is there a "special" graphic that needs to be created to be an icon (i.e. size, format, etc.)--or will it adapt whatever file (.gif/.jpg et al) to be the icon?

I'd love to use my site's Wolfie image --> [Linked Image] for this icon.

Thanks!

Sue
adwoff.com
Veteran
Veteran
quote:
Originally posted by ADWOFF:
My question is this: is there a "special" graphic that needs to be created to be an icon (i.e. size, format, etc.)--or will it adapt whatever file (.gif/.jpg et al) to be the icon?

quote:
[qb]
The icon you create has to be exactly 16 pixels by 16 pixels.

Try to fool the browser with a larger or smaller size and it will usually ignore you.

You should also stick with 16 Windows colors. Again, more colors can be used in sophisticated icons, but 16 is your safest bet.

There are two routes to creating your icon. You can take an existing graphic, maybe a BMP or a GIF, and convert it using graphics software. A decent converter is available for free at Irfanview. Unfortunately, some icon converters don't do a good job of transforming bitmaps into .ico files.

The alternative is to use a dedicated icon editor. There's one included in Mocrosoft Visual Studio, and an online Java editor you can try at www.favicon.com. In the long run, you'll probably find it faster to use an icon editor to create your graphic from scratch, rather than converting an existing graphic and ironing out the inevitable bugs.
[/qb]

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Content Queen
Content Queen
Thank you for the info, Charles. I really appreciate it. smile

I do have a program that did create an icon file for my Wolf, and I uploaded it, but for some reason or another, it keeps showing the lightbulb for Infopop. tipsy

I've even cleared out my temp Internet files, and it still shows this.

Oh well. I'll keep playing with it.

Sue
adwoff.com
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
post updated for 6.6 release smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thread updated with features added to 6.7 public beta release smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
First post updated for 6.7 thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thread updated to add pointer for Infopop's ChangeLog , thanks to Gizzy for the link.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Allen, I reccommend linking to here instead of here due to the later of the two being a bookmark just for 6.7.1 wink ...

Man, I figured you of all people would have known where that was! :x... I never use it but i know where it can be found wink

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I did in the first post tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Good, Glad to hear it wink ...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63