Page 2 of 2 1 2
Old Hand
Old Hand
are we there yet? laugh

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Oh jeez /me slaps his head

I posted a link to my full review in the staff forum several weeks ago and completely forgot about posting it here too....

quote:

Sager 8790-S

After using the Sager 8790-s over a week I must say that I'm still very impressed. Everything about it is nothing less than perfect.

I've done quite a bit of video editing with Adobe Video Collection Pro and even had some free time to squeeze in a little bit of gaming. The added performance of the 3.4GHZ Pentium 4 Northwood CPU with Hyper Treading and the 400DDR memory is easily noticed. I've had many laptops over the years and none of them ever came close to how a desktop performs. To tell the truth, at first I found it a little odd now having a notebook that out performs every other computer I use. But after the first couple days I found myself used to the speed and even stopped using my desktops in favor for the Sager.

In addition to its superb performance I can't begin to describe how much I like the 17" wide LCD screen. I must admit that I was a little hesitant to order the 8790 since it wasn't available in WUXGA. (WUXGA should be available this summer, but, I'm glad I didn't wait for it.) The smaller screen resolution hasn't been a hindrance at all and I find the crispness and clarity of the display to be a very welcome surprise. The display is also very well back-light, even in a brightly light room. In addition I've been unable to notice any artifacting or ghosting that is common with most LCDs.

Another welcome surprise was the feel of the keyboard and its touch pad. I've always been one that hated touch pads and preferred a pointing stick instead but I've found that this touch pad has perfect response and feel. The keyboard doesn't have that flexing problem that plaques most laptops and the key travel feels natural and comfortable. The only draw back with it is the wrist wrest can get a little warm and cause you to sweat a little. Some people might not like this but I don't feel its a serious problem or a reason to chose another notebook.

I have not received the removable sub woofer (as its on backorder) but I am still very pleased with the internal sound system. There are two speakers on either side of the keyboard and two on the front of the unit. While you can't expect these small speakers to fill a room with sound, they do produce very clear, quality sound. Additionally you can't compare the speakers with those typically found on a notebook as they're in a higher class, all by themselves!

I've only used the Internal TV Tuner briefly but I've found that it produces a very crisp and clear picture from cable TV, so much so, that it could easily be mistaken for a high definition picture! The included remote and software were easy to use and seemed well designed and very stable.

The notebook has an internal 7-in-1 card reader which is very convenient as you don't have to lug another item in your notebook case. It also reads and writes data to the cards faster than most USB card readers.

I only purchased the 8 cell battery since I typically never operate my notebooks away from A/C power. Nevertheless, I still tested the battery performance and found that I was able to watch a complete DVD movie while operating only on the battery and still had another 20 minutes of power left.

A few of my friends keep asking me if there is anything I would change on the Sager 8790 and I'm hard pressed to think of anything other than its weight. The notebook weighs in at around 9 pounds and because of its size it can be a challenge to pick up with one hand. Once you load it into your bag along with its power brick it can feel like you're carrying an ARMY sack. But this is the price you pay for a wide screen notebook with desktop power. When you compare the 8790 to other similar notebooks you'll find it is much lighter and thinner than most. I don't even want to imagine owning one of those other ones!
I've had the notebook for just about a month now and over all I'm still very impressed and pleased. Its very hard to find falts with it. But I do have a couple updates since writing my first review:

I've received the subwoofer and I'm disappointed with it. I'd suggest anyone considering the 8790 forgo it in place of the TV Tuner.

The sound it produces is just ok. I don't believe it adds much to the experience.

Also the way the subwoofer is set up, you must uninstall the TV tuner and plug in the subwoofer. Its not just a question of sliding one of the devices out and sliding the other in. They must be unscrewed and screwed in place and there are tiny (fragile) plugs that need to be connected. I can see these plugs easily breaking if you switch from the subwoofer to the TV tuner more than a few times.

The other problem is the full charge on the eight li-ion battery decreases quickly if you run the battery down just a few times. The first time I ran it down completely was when I did the DVD movie test. The second time was when the unit was accidental unplugged and I didn't notice it until I got the low battery alarm. I tried the DVD test again about a week later and I wasn't able to get to the end of the movie. It only had enough power to last about an hour. All li-ion batteries loose some of their capacity each time you run them down completely but it seems like the 8cell battery that is included with the Sager's is more susceptible to this. If you could do without the TV Tuner you'd probably be better off choosing the 12 Cell battery.

Veteran
Veteran
I want one of those, I realy do. But, I bought a house instead. Can'tlive inside a laptop.

I also answered your PM since you posted your review wink

Picture perfect penmanship here.
this seems to be the same laptops as Sager, isn't it ?

http://www.bacoc.com

does anybody have any experience with D900 ?
is this Clevo D900T ?

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Yes it is, haven't seen one first hand though.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63