Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89864 07/12/2004 9:30 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The Apple iTunes Music Store recently passed the 100 million mark.

Has the advent of legal download sites such as iTMS, Napster 2, etc. changed the way you buy or download music?

What are some of the reasons why you do/don't download music from the (legal) online music stores?

Sponsored Links
#89865 07/12/2004 9:32 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't in general buy music from online stores because the quality isn't close to what you get on CD's, or is it?

Does itunes support pc-people? Might be a good place to grab some tunes for my pj.radio smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89866 07/12/2004 9:41 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ok, I see it's for windows too tipsy

1. Do you have to use the itunes music player?

2. Are the files downloaded mp3 or some apple format?

I'm looking through the site now and not seeing a whole lot except 'download the free 20mb player' tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89867 07/12/2004 10:25 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmm.. downloading my first apple itune, am I de debbil now?

tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89868 07/13/2004 12:05 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... I only see m4p format - is this the nex-gen mp3?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
#89869 07/13/2004 8:24 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
m4p is an Advanced Audio Codec (AAC) format file. It uses Apple's FairPlay DRM to restrict how the file can be used. But this is generally viewed as a relatively loose form of DRM, with reasonable rights (multiple computers, iPods, CD burns). In terms of quality, it is a lossy format, so it is not perfect CD quality, but high enough that most people won't notice that big of a difference.

When you use iTunes to rip your own CD's, they are encoded is m4a, which is also AAC, but without the DRM. (You can chose what rate to rip at).

AAC is an open standard, FairPlay is proprietary, and many people are hoping that Apple will license it, so that songs purchased from iTMS can be played on other devices.

In terms of the song you bought. You can play it in iTunes, put it on your iPod, or burn it to a CD - convert it to an AIFF, which will play on just about every CD player. Once you convert it to AIIF, you can re-encode it as a MP3 if you wish, but that would probably degrade the quality further (kind of making a photocopy of a photocopy).

Apple was also introducing another format that was lossless, Apple Lossless Encoding, or something like that. It is CD quality, but it a slightly smaller size. I haven't checked them out - mainly because I've been pleased with the AAC's.

Interestingly, Sony recently introduced their new Network Walkman, in which they claimed to be able to store twice as many files as an iPod - what they downplay is that measurement is based on their ATRAK3 format at a low bitrate - Apples and Oranges so to speak.

Maybe Melanie needs a mini iPod for a present wink

#89870 07/13/2004 9:59 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. maybe tipsy

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing the sound quality is good enough for computers, ipods, maybe even a car stereo, but I'd think it'd be more apparent on a decent home stereo once copied to cd's.

I run a station on www.live365.com/stations/stand318 and they have a new format called mp3pro that's supposed to be a lot closer to cd quality. The problem is not a lotta players can play it yet (their player, the newest windows media player and I think the real player). There's a noticeable improvement over mp3 tho, hopefully it'll become more popular. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89871 07/13/2004 1:26 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's the codec and the bitrate. Comparative analysis has shown that 128 kbps AAC is better than 128 kbps MP3. 192 kbps is going to sound better either way.

See this link for some comparisons between codecs/bitrates, more info at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/ .

#89872 07/14/2004 1:30 PM
Moderator / Template Diva
I still buy cds.

For one, I generally like having the case and the liner notes and everything, which is why I never really downloaded entire CDs at all, legally or illegally. I'll download a couple songs from gnutella or whatever, and if I like 'em, I'll usually end up buying the cd anyway.

For two, I use Winamp, period. I detest WiMP, and the fact that most of the music stores force me to use it is a major deterrent. Same with iTunes, though I don't mind it nearly so much since it's what I have to use on my iBook anyway. I just don't like being told what player to use.

And for three, DRM sucks. I'm sure it's a good idea in theory, but when I give someone money for a product, I expect to OWN the product. Not to "license" the product from them. It's not like I'm going to go around selling burned copies of the thing anyway, but the very fact that they actually limit my ability to do so, if I felt so inclined, makes me not happy. If someone starts selling 8+ quality Vorbis format songs with absolutely no strings attached, I'll briefly consider doing business with them.

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
#89873 07/14/2004 2:02 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I gave up on jewel cases and liner notes years ago when I purchase on of those huge 300 or 400 CD (don't remember the capacity) jukebox CD players. It was a PITA to program in the artists and titles. Once I did that I didn't both with the liner inserts. I had a couple of those folders to hold them, but never really bothered looking at them, and there were too many. So they just went into a box in storage.

When I got an iPod I took all of the CD's out of the jukebox and started ripping them - still have a ways to go. The huge CD player is also sitting in storage.

I'm really looking forward to getting an Airport Express/AirTunes module so I can connect to my stereo aux channel, and use my PowerBook as a stereo remote control. I also don't have to worry about TiVo not supporting m4p's (since that is how I currently stream from the computer to the stereo).

I've bought a mix of iTunes songs and CD's (generally if I wasn't able to find them on iTunes). I'm not so much hung up on pristine sound quality as I used to be.

I've also be listening to Sirius a lot more as well. Nice variety of stations with no commercials - a nice way to listen to new music that I don't own. Has also helped me find new artists to buy songs (not necessarily albums) from.

Sponsored Links
#89874 07/14/2004 4:36 PM
How does Sirius compare to XM? Cuz I've been thinking about getting an XM subscription, since that's pretty much the only way I would ever actually start listening to the radio again.

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
#89875 07/14/2004 5:00 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I really didn't do much of a comparison between the two (never have listened to XM).
  • Sirius had the advantage that they were commercial free on their music stations, while XM had some commercials (I think XM was trying to counter this by going more commercial free as well)
  • Sirius is slightly more expensive for the service, but the equipment was a little less. Sirius also offers discounts on multiple units as well as streaming from the web (Sirius is also now available on Dish Network)
  • I think Sirius has some exclusives for sports programming, with coverage for NFL/NBA/NHL)
  • XM has more subscribers, as they were first to market, and secured early deals with some of the auto manuf. They also had a modular receiver first. But Sirius has decent auto deals as well as a modular receiver - which I have, auto/home/boombox options).

In terms of the programming, its great. The music channels offer a great amount of diversity. There is a genre for everything, and the music select is pretty good. Not the same song every 20 minutes like on commercial radio. The news and entertainment channels are great also. They also added metro area traffic and weather for key areas.

I'm not sure what else XM offers, but the commercial free music, web streaming and programming choices were all things that I liked about Sirius.

#89876 07/14/2004 10:26 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
mp3pro seems to have its advantages as well:

http://www.mp3prozone.com/faq.htm

Half the size of mp3 at the same bitrate, tho if you choose to keep the filesize up, the sound quality is much better than mp3 smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89877 07/15/2004 11:31 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
No fair, I talk about MP3's and File Sharing and get yelled at, you all do it like it's normal :x...

Myself, I much prefer to rip all of my CD's (few hundred) and store them on a few CDr's... Takes 200 cd's down to a managable number... Now to buy an MP3 CD player.

My ripper of choice has always been AudioGrabber which is now freeware.

Preferred bitrate is 128; not like I have anything that supports anything higher. If I get myself an MP3 player I may go 192 and hook it up to my sterio and see if I can find a noticable differance, if not I'll stay 128 as usual.

Do these "AAC"'s work in a standard MP3 player?

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
#89878 07/15/2004 2:55 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The topic was about file-buying, not sharing tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#89879 07/15/2004 2:59 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ahhh... Well fine, sometimes some of us don't want to rip our own MP3's wink ... Or the ever popular try-before-you-buy dealie...

I do find it kind of cool that you can legally buy MP3's now, however how are they to filter what's legal and what's illegal now? I mean now we're in a day where we can buy single song's (as if you couldn't as a "single" at kmart); can't wait to have an attourney call me about my /mp3 directory; it's fun to photocopy 40 cd proofs; what do you really have for the MP3 though? Do they actively keep track of orders?

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
#89880 07/20/2004 1:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hey Dubble-A,

Came across Nicecast , which can be used to stream your iTunes music to your Live365 station. Might be worth a look. Of course you'll be wanting to buy a Mac wink

#89881 07/20/2004 10:20 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Cool... thanks laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63