Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Or is it possible that there are so much more large vBulletin communities out there?

Forum Software (number of message boards of each type)

vBulletin 546
phpBB 86
custom 69
Invision 68
UBB 36
ezboard 34

http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/

Sponsored Links
Big-Boards tracks the most active message boards and forums on the web. They currently have 910 message boards in their database (according to their claim)!

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I believe that most large boards are using vbulletin, as using UBB.classic isn't an option for the size boards they are refering to, and few are fond of UBB.Threads looks

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
A lot of it depends on nominations/ recommendations as well... unless it changed recently, they didn't even include ubb.threads as ubb forums.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
They include all forums now, including the custom ones.

Sponsored Links
But they have a 500,000 post minimum for forums to appear in the ranking.

Actually, the largest UBB forums are UBB.threads

http://search.big-boards.com/result.php?q=ubb

Coder
Coder
Hostboard is not even listed frown

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
then submit it

Veteran
Veteran
"Big-Boards tracks the most active message boards and forums on the web."

That is hardly true.

"Big-Boards tracks the most active message boards and forums on the web, that have been submitted and approved for display on thier site"

That's more accurate.

Further, the number of posts they have listed is "historical", not current. Take a look at some of the post counts listed for these boards, then look at the actual post numbers. Does it add up to you?

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Coder
Coder
I have submitted to them before, they just don't like me tipsy

Actual posts stored on Hostboard at the moment exceeds 1.2 million with over 110,000 registered members as per the database this evening.

Sponsored Links
hi,
i'm the creator and owner of big-boards.com. Just thought i'd drop in to clarify some points.
big-boards is not biased towards vbulletin, or any other software. It just happens there are a lot more large vbulletin forums than ubbs.

quote:
Big-Boards tracks the most active message boards and forums on the web, that have been submitted and approved for display on thier site
Indeed, knowing that any board fitting the requirement is included, and that big-boards has existed for more than a year, the link being posted hundreds of times on the boards listed, giving it a large exposure to people frequenting active message boards.
While 6 months ago we used to still receive submissions of very large boards, in the past 3 months 80% of new additions were boards which just passed the 500000.
Doesn't mean we're exhaustive for sure, but getting closer.

quote:
[qb]Further, the number of posts they have listed is "historical", not current[/qb]
this is incorrect.
817 out of the currently 920 boards listed have their stats fetched and updated daily.
The truth is however, that a lot of the 100 that do not get updated are UBBs, because they need to be manually counted due to a lack of way to retrieve the counts dynamically on the cgi version (as discussed here: https://ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/26/3149.html#000000,on the php one, the post id can be fetched).

Overall, the accuracy of the rankings is not the primary objective of the site, the main goal is more to provide categorized lists of active forums.

As per hostboard, it wasn't included because it is more of a hosting service like proboards/ezboard/invisionfree and similars which are not listed as a whole. If a singular instance on hostboard reached the 500000, it would be listed.

Cheers,
Quentin

Veteran
Veteran
Quentin,

I challenge you to take the time, sit down, and compare actual live post counts on a board compared to the numbers you have listed. I've done it. Have you?

I don't know, or care frankly, how you get your dynamically counted numbers. What I do know is that I was curious at the numbers I saw on your site so I did take a few hours and do the math.

I'll stand by my comment.

Further, you're getting it dynamically from a return the board gives you. Gee, I could return any number I felt that I wanted to give you, couldn't I? Post ID number of last post? Historical, Quentin.

Don't get me wrong, your site serves a purpose and does it admirably well. Is it biased to one software or another? No, I do not think so. Never have. But as the end all and be all of which site has is larger, or has more live posts than another?

Not even close, sorry.

i don't deny it. As i said the rankings aspect of the site is, well, mostly "hype" (it's good for marketing the site wink ).

It's true that someone can cheat on the numbers they show on their board. This has happenned sometimes and i have removed the ones that were spotted.
The thing is also, the numbers does not represent the same thing depending on the software used by the board. Some are the total post counts ever, some the ones actually present in database, some even something else.

But again:

quote:
Overall, the accuracy of the rankings is not the primary objective of the site, the main goal is more to provide categorized lists of active forums.
The users i try to serve is not the one looking to see whether board xxx is higher than board yyy.
That users just come by once and don't get much out o the site.
i try to serve people looking for active boards about a certain topic. If someone looks for a board to discuss his brand new mazda rx7, i daresay my site can provide him with some. The other service is to board admin themselves, who can find there a source of inspiration, learning by example.

Veteran
Veteran
"It's true that someone can cheat on the numbers they show on their board. This has happenned sometimes and i have removed the ones that were spotted."

Your number 5 site says 26 million posts. I see less than a million.

"i try to serve people looking for active boards about a certain topic. If someone looks for a board to discuss his brand new mazda rx7, i daresay my site can provide him with some."

This, I would agree is your most important function, and for that I don't even see a need for a sham post count to be displayed at all.

Quentin,

Thanks for coming by to answer some questions.

Will you be able to dynamically get the post numbers for the new UBB product?

Originally posted by navaho:

Your number 5 site says 26 million posts. I see less than a million.
I noticed that too. Something's strange with that forum as they seem to have 1362 user online right now.

Veteran
Veteran
That's not uncomon on a large board, so in and of itself it's not odd.

Veteran
Veteran
I suppose i should reiterate what i'm saying here.

I'm saying that as a measure of which board is largest it's not. As Quentin points out, as a means of finding boards in your genre that have traffic and activity, it most definately is, and a good one at that.

laugh

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally posted by bb777:

Quentin,

Thanks for coming by to answer some questions.

Will you be able to dynamically get the post numbers for the new UBB product?

In either case it wouldn't be THAT hard to throw together a short addon to show total threads/posts and the user readout can be done through content islands in 6.7.x.

Originally posted by navaho:
[qb]
That's not uncomon on a large board, so in and of itself it's not odd.
[/qb]
They'll probably chalk it down to pruning, but that's one hell of a prune wink ...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63