UBB.Dev
Posted By: CTH XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 2:04 AM
Heya,

I'm in the process of making my site pass an XHTML validation (whilst still backwards compatible).

My site always passed a 4.01 HTML validation apart from 1 thing and that one thing is stopping me from getting that lovely passed graphic smile I'm sure there must be a way around it.

How can I make my page have the same effect as using th following

leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"

without using those tags because they are not supported when validating. I've lived with this through 4.01 trans validation, but I was wondering if there was any other way to achieve the same effect using possibly CSS or any other method.

If using CSS I would need it to be cross-browser IE/NS4+ and Opera.

Thanks

BTW I know its a tiny problem but it really is the only thing stopping me from getting 100% XHTML transitional validation smile

[ June 04, 2001 07:19 PM: Message edited by: CTH ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 4:36 AM
Hey TN!

The only way this can be achieved with css will not work in NS4, it doesn't break or crash, just doesn't remove the margins...:(

BODY {
margin: 0;
}

Should work in IE4+, Opera, NS6, Mozilla, I-cab, etc....

I am working toward the same thing for the 6.1 files... would really be interested in what you have already done...:)

After validation is finished, will work on css support to remove most of the font tags to decrease the bandwidth requirement...
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 6:03 AM
also, the reason that ns4 doesn't like it is because ns4 is outdated, and should be upgraded anyway.
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 12:19 PM
Thanks Allen smile

Looks like I'm gonna have to stick with the old way of doing things because I like everything on my site to be backward compatible for the browsers.

I'll do some more work on the templates and let ya know Allen.

smile
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 1:36 PM
Re: NS4

Matt yea I'm sure a lot of NS4 users would upgrade if NS6 wasn't such a pos laugh

Anyway, the next NS browser is supposed to fully support xml but having said that I remember the next version (which was to be NS6) was to fully support CSS which it doesn't by any means frown

[ June 05, 2001 06:47 AM: Message edited by: CTH ]
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 6:36 PM
Hiya,

One last question smile

Does anyone know whether Search Engines when spidering title tags that include an & in their titles - would they write it in the search engine as & if you use it instead of & in the title ?

Thanks
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 7:18 PM
Not sure CTH, my work in validation will include changing the "&" in the url's/ links to the more correct ";" - you can see it in the ubbpoll we have running:

https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll

"&" doesn't validate frown
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/05/2001 7:45 PM
ah frown

stoopid me forgot that ubb would convert & amp; to &

well I'll try and find some way around it smile
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/06/2001 12:03 AM
Allen,

What are you up to so far with regards to making the templates and files of UBB6 xhtml compliant ?

I'm working on a few of the templates atm and rather than both do the same work I was wondering if we could see what the other could do ?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/06/2001 1:16 AM
Sounds good CTH, tho I am working on 6.1, about 10 templates have changed so far up to beta 2, we get beta 3 tomorrow... then beta 4 and 5 before it is finished, so it is a moving target...:(

If not included in final code, I hope to make it available as a rather large mhk file to be done before adding mods to 6.1.

Another note, I haven't begun the xhtml 1.0 transitional validation yet, have been doing 4.01 html transitional to get it to be able to start on the xhtml...:)

I'll post here as soon as I get beta 3 tomorrow, what templates are still unchanged from 6.04e, you can work on those so we aren't doing double work, and 6.1 will be out in 2-3 weeks, just about the right time frame.
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/06/2001 1:28 AM
Thanks Allen - sounds good - from what I've seen of 6.1 from looking over your site (Stand318) the html seems to have been tidied up a bit, but I guess that's another benefit of having MrCapps working at IP laugh

HTML4.01 is fine - I've just been going through the process of making my site xhtml1.0 compliant and the differences aren't really huge with the exception of closing all tags such as

and tags. It's just a bit laborious smile

[ June 05, 2001 06:30 PM: Message edited by: CTH ]

Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: XHTML Validation - 06/06/2001 3:44 AM
hey, if you guys want any more help with this, i'd be glad to jump in!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/06/2001 4:01 AM
sounds good Matt, workin on it on our test board... once beta 3 is up, I'll see about getting you ftp setup if you have time to validate some code smile
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/07/2001 10:57 PM
Any news on those templates Allen ?

Or are they still being modified too much by CC and co. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/07/2001 11:25 PM
I have just got my internet connection back after being down the last couple of days...:( Beta 3 came out yesterday, give me until this evening to get things sorted out... ftp is not working on the network yet.
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/08/2001 1:58 AM
Sorry to hear that frown

Well when ya have chance lemme know smile
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: XHTML Validation - 06/08/2001 3:15 AM
I am also working on CSSing UBB.
View the source on my board.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: XHTML Validation - 06/08/2001 3:27 AM
greg, allen and i were going to work on using stylesheets to replace font tags and other minor things after the xhtml conversion is done. wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/11/2001 9:41 AM
I haven't forgotten CTH, I am having to go between 2 different computers to transfer files so they can be ftp'd up. Will have your answers on the templates tomorrow.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/12/2001 9:06 AM
slight change of plans, it seems 6.1 is gonna be a little more extensive than first thought, so the template files are kinda up in the air right now, tho most of the work will involve the threads and the forum pages... might be well to wait until beta 5-6 is out before we jump into this too much, as I don't have any idea what CC is gonna do yet smile As soon as I hear, see, I'll post here what's up. smile
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 06/12/2001 5:48 PM
Thanks for the updates Allen smile

..and 6.1 seems to be getting better every day laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/25/2001 1:36 AM
smile

Looking good... there seems to only be 14 public templates (so far) that haven't been changed in 6.1, and I did the work for them already. We'll get more into this later this week after the next beta is released in order for it to be ready to roll pretty much the same day as 6.1 final.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/26/2001 9:32 AM
anyone know if validates in xhtml? my eyes are too tired to look it up smile It doesn't for some reason in 4.01 transitional
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: XHTML Validation - 06/26/2001 4:59 PM
I thought that this tag was a FrontPage-specific thing...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/26/2001 7:10 PM
it's a ubbâ„¢ specific thing too...;) do a "view source" on most any page...

Is similar enough?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/27/2001 8:03 AM
just an fyi >>> it's a Netscape-specific tag that IE ignores when it needs to, but NS will push text past a table border in order to make sure it allows it. Not too pretty in some instances. laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/29/2001 7:40 PM
k, with beta 5 released, the template files are pretty much set for 6.1 final.

code validation to be worked on in earnest next week with it being shown on a demo site by the weekend smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 06/30/2001 9:14 AM
coming along nicely... forumsummary and forum page now valid to xhtml 1.0 transitional..:D

will have rest done sometime next week.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 07/08/2001 8:08 AM
Will have a fully xhtml 1.0 transitional + css support modification ready when 6.1 is released...:D
Posted By: Charles Re: XHTML Validation - 07/08/2001 1:17 PM
can't wait laugh
Posted By: CTH Re: XHTML Validation - 07/08/2001 2:01 PM
Well done Allen smile Would have liked to have helped...but no 6.1 beta for me smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 07/09/2001 1:15 AM
Thanks Chuck and CTH... I'd have liked some help, but it's really a project that's difficult to get help on as "global search and replace" is 90% of the work, then you go back and catch the individual pages that aren't quite there.

Charles, with the latest beta, has put a lot of the work into the base code as well... which is, of course, excellent. laugh The final finishing of it will not be nearly as difficult now...
Posted By: tackaberry Re: XHTML Validation - 07/09/2001 4:06 PM
quote:
I'm still using Lynx. Any idea how the graphics will render? wink

-Tacks
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: XHTML Validation - 07/17/2001 9:29 AM
real purty I'm sure..;)

for an idea of the difference in html 4 and xhtml 1.0, check our header and footer here, which now complies with xhtml 1.0 transitional... part of getting ready for the 6.1 upgrade... we'll have that purty lil xhtml 1.0 box image that links to w3's validator in our footers to show it actually works smile
© UBB.Developers