UBB.Dev
Posted By: ADWOFF Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 03/31/2004 6:15 AM
On my test site, one of my mods is telling me that she's really having a lot of problems with the *speed* in which the pages load for her.

She has a Mac, and she's using a new browser called Safari. She also has a high speed cable modem connection.

Me? I'm using Windows 98; I have a dial-up connection. And I'm using Microsoft's regular browser. I see no performance differences between my test site and my actual board.

Any ideas why she might be having performance issues?

Thanks.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 03/31/2004 7:06 AM
Is there any one page or topic that always renders slowly? We'll be able to do some tests if the problem is 100% reproducable.
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 6:47 AM
Charles,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

According to my Safari user:

quote:
The problem I have is ONLY with the full reply form. When I type, it doesn't show up in the text box without a delay. There about a second delay.

The problem isn't evident on the main board OR when using the quick reply box.

That's the only problem. Otherwise, Safari works better than Explorer in viewing the board and not skewing widths, etc. Explorer for Mac is a bit archaic and doesn't display the board properly.
---

When she refers to the "main board"--she means the actual messageboard for ADWOFF--which is still using 6.5.0

It's the test site, with the full reply form, that she's currently having difficulty with ... it isn't a *pristine* board (i.e. I've hacked it up tipsy ), so I don't know if the *issue* is because of Safari and 6.7.0 or Safari and my hacks.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 7:25 AM
Yeh IE + Mac = bad bad mistake... Well at least with the 4.5 version or whatever lol... Have they tried any other mac browers? And have there been any users who have experianced the same error?
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 7:36 AM
Gizzy,

This is on my test site, so only my mods have been playing with it ... and to my knowledge, only one of them has a Mac ...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 7:54 AM
If I was still at adobe I'd run it on my mac lol... Are they runnin MAC OS X or 9
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 7:55 AM
Originally posted by Gizzy:

Are they runnin MAC OS X or 9
I'll ask. smile
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 8:01 AM
You have to run OS X to run Safari, so that answers that question.

Sue, I think I know what's going wrong, but it's only a theory. It sounds like the Javascript in the Full Reply form that powers the Instant UBBCode is being slow. Have you made ANY changes to the Instant UBBCode code?

How old of a machine is the user using? I could see a small lag happening on very, very old machines... but it shouldn't be *THAT* noticable...
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 8:28 AM
Yeah, Charles, I've installed the *advance ubb code* hack ... that could possibly be the culprit ... and if it is, then my mod is gonna have to make changes! tipsy wink

This is what she uses:

quote:
I use Macintosh operating system 10.3.3 and the version of the Safari browser is 1.2.1 (v125.1).

As I posted on the test board, the problem I have is ONLY with the full reply form. There is a second or so delay from what I type on my keyboard to what shows up in the reply box on screen.
----

Seriously, unless others complain to me about the *slowness* issue, I think I'll advise my mod to use the quick reply box and learn to hand code the instant UBB code ... why? Because ironically, much of the advanced code I've installed are features she wanted! tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Ubb.Classic 6.7.0 for Safari? - 04/04/2004 8:39 AM
Haha, how nice... You install it for her and she complains :x... I'd just tell her to use Mozilla, they have it for MAC OS X at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/download/ (it was actually my choice of browsers on my mac).
© UBB.Developers