Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#183383 03/30/2004 11:15 PM
Content Queen
Content Queen
On my test site, one of my mods is telling me that she's really having a lot of problems with the *speed* in which the pages load for her.

She has a Mac, and she's using a new browser called Safari. She also has a high speed cable modem connection.

Me? I'm using Windows 98; I have a dial-up connection. And I'm using Microsoft's regular browser. I see no performance differences between my test site and my actual board.

Any ideas why she might be having performance issues?

Thanks.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Is there any one page or topic that always renders slowly? We'll be able to do some tests if the problem is 100% reproducable.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Content Queen
Content Queen
Charles,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

According to my Safari user:

quote:
The problem I have is ONLY with the full reply form. When I type, it doesn't show up in the text box without a delay. There about a second delay.

The problem isn't evident on the main board OR when using the quick reply box.

That's the only problem. Otherwise, Safari works better than Explorer in viewing the board and not skewing widths, etc. Explorer for Mac is a bit archaic and doesn't display the board properly.
---

When she refers to the "main board"--she means the actual messageboard for ADWOFF--which is still using 6.5.0

It's the test site, with the full reply form, that she's currently having difficulty with ... it isn't a *pristine* board (i.e. I've hacked it up tipsy ), so I don't know if the *issue* is because of Safari and 6.7.0 or Safari and my hacks.

Sue
adwoff.com
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh IE + Mac = bad bad mistake... Well at least with the 4.5 version or whatever lol... Have they tried any other mac browers? And have there been any users who have experianced the same error?

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Content Queen
Content Queen
Gizzy,

This is on my test site, so only my mods have been playing with it ... and to my knowledge, only one of them has a Mac ...

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
If I was still at adobe I'd run it on my mac lol... Are they runnin MAC OS X or 9

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Content Queen
Content Queen
Originally posted by Gizzy:

Are they runnin MAC OS X or 9
I'll ask. smile

Sue
adwoff.com
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
You have to run OS X to run Safari, so that answers that question.

Sue, I think I know what's going wrong, but it's only a theory. It sounds like the Javascript in the Full Reply form that powers the Instant UBBCode is being slow. Have you made ANY changes to the Instant UBBCode code?

How old of a machine is the user using? I could see a small lag happening on very, very old machines... but it shouldn't be *THAT* noticable...

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Content Queen
Content Queen
Yeah, Charles, I've installed the *advance ubb code* hack ... that could possibly be the culprit ... and if it is, then my mod is gonna have to make changes! tipsy wink

This is what she uses:

quote:
I use Macintosh operating system 10.3.3 and the version of the Safari browser is 1.2.1 (v125.1).

As I posted on the test board, the problem I have is ONLY with the full reply form. There is a second or so delay from what I type on my keyboard to what shows up in the reply box on screen.
----

Seriously, unless others complain to me about the *slowness* issue, I think I'll advise my mod to use the quick reply box and learn to hand code the instant UBB code ... why? Because ironically, much of the advanced code I've installed are features she wanted! tipsy

Sue
adwoff.com
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Haha, how nice... You install it for her and she complains :x... I'd just tell her to use Mozilla, they have it for MAC OS X at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/download/ (it was actually my choice of browsers on my mac).

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63