UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jhariden Special Characters (php 5.3) - 05/25/2001 3:54 AM
Okay, I know this may have been posted already - but something is wrong with my system and "special characters". I do not know if it has anything to do with my modifications to the script, or if this is inherent within the 5.3 code. But there are two symptoms:

1. I have the option to use special characters set to 1 (i.e. ON) so that they CAN be used. We have a lot of users who have such characters in their usernames. Yet, when I attempt to create a new account using any special characters, I get the rejection notice stating they are not allowed. I've quadruple checked the config file, it should be working.

2. See the attachment to this post, it's a screen shot of the "Who's Online" feature. Notice how the person with the apostrophe " ' " has the rest of his data omitted from the display? That cannot be right. Note, his name has an ' (the / is added by the script after the fact).

Can anyone confirm if they too have this problem or is it something in our heavily modified code that is causing this problem?

Jhariden (aka Strategist)
Stratics Forums

Attached picture 36588-who_sample.jpg
Posted By: Rick Re: Special Characters (php 5.3) - 05/25/2001 4:44 AM
In the first distribution of 5.3 the special character config option was backwards. 1 actually turned it off while 0 turned it on.
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Special Characters (php 5.3) - 05/25/2001 2:59 PM
Aha! Thanks Scream! I'll reverse it... just need to make a note to myself to re-adjust it after upgrading again. :)

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Jhariden Re: Special Characters (php 5.3) - 05/25/2001 2:59 PM
Almost forgot, what about the "" issue in Who's Online? I have a feeling the two are not related.

Stratics Forums
Posted By: Rick Re: Special Characters (php 5.3) - 05/26/2001 4:41 AM
Not quite sure about that one yet. I think it either has something to do with stripslashes not working, but can't say for sure. Does the \ show up for that user anywhere else?
© UBB.Developers