Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210849 05/24/2001 8:54 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Okay, I know this may have been posted already - but something is wrong with my system and "special characters". I do not know if it has anything to do with my modifications to the script, or if this is inherent within the 5.3 code. But there are two symptoms:

1. I have the option to use special characters set to 1 (i.e. ON) so that they CAN be used. We have a lot of users who have such characters in their usernames. Yet, when I attempt to create a new account using any special characters, I get the rejection notice stating they are not allowed. I've quadruple checked the config file, it should be working.

2. See the attachment to this post, it's a screen shot of the "Who's Online" feature. Notice how the person with the apostrophe " ' " has the rest of his data omitted from the display? That cannot be right. Note, his name has an ' (the / is added by the script after the fact).

Can anyone confirm if they too have this problem or is it something in our heavily modified code that is causing this problem?

Jhariden (aka Strategist)
Stratics Forums
Attachments
36588-who_sample.jpg (0 Bytes, 0 downloads)

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
In the first distribution of 5.3 the special character config option was backwards. 1 actually turned it off while 0 turned it on.

UBB.threads Developer
Journeyman
Journeyman
Aha! Thanks Scream! I'll reverse it... just need to make a note to myself to re-adjust it after upgrading again. :)

Stratics Forums

Journeyman
Journeyman
Almost forgot, what about the "" issue in Who's Online? I have a feeling the two are not related.

Stratics Forums

Guru
Guru
Not quite sure about that one yet. I think it either has something to do with stripslashes not working, but can't say for sure. Does the \ show up for that user anywhere else?

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63