UBB.Dev
Posted By: Rich99 News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/27/2002 4:30 PM
Hi all, got my news fader up - http://tropicalfish.site5.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi But blowed if i can add a newsline. I can add the contributions/newest member, but as soon as i "add" text to my newsline in the CP...it all just disappears, i cannot edit anything, and it just goes...somewhere...any ideas? confused

btw, when i do try to add some text is says "ADD NEWS Rich, The new Newsline successfully added!" but it certainly doesnt! frown
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/28/2002 1:53 AM
Have you uploaded flash.js and Chmodded it correctly?
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/28/2002 3:43 AM
Hi Lord dexter smile U mean fader.js? I did not know I needed to change the permissions?...the fader seems to work, but i cannot add any text though....(the announcements/new member are ok)
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/28/2002 8:29 AM
Well check that. That is where the news info is stored I think.

Check the readme to see if you do need to give it permissions.
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/28/2002 2:31 PM
Thats the thing, none of the info is being stored when i submit the data.....has your board got a news fader LD? The readme doesnt say I have to change any permissions AFAIK.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/29/2002 2:07 AM
I don't have my v5 up at the moment so I can't check. But if I can remember right it does need some permissions...
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/29/2002 3:17 AM
## INSTALLATION :
##
## upload fader.js to your non-cgi-bin folder IN ASCII!
## upload fade.gif to your non-cgi-bin folder
##
## in Ultimate.cgi, find

No "permissions", "ch,od" in the entire thing... confused
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/29/2002 7:09 AM
Strange, if it doesn't say it should work then.

Is your NONCGI Directory Chmodded to 777?
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/29/2002 9:15 PM
Thats the thing, the fader works....its there, u can see it, but anothe part of the fader is to add text to it in the control panel...that seems to be the problem here. I probably have made a mistake in the installation, but I dont know where it the error has aoccured...if anyone could help?....

You know, i cant find out about the permissions anymore....I got rid of CuteFTP, and now im on WS-FTP - but i cannot see how i can view the permssions, either Dir/file. lol, how do u do it? I can change the permission, but bugger me, it wont tell me what the original permissions are!

Anyway, the best thing i can do is - drwxrwxrwx for the dir - wouldnt that be full 777?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 03/30/2002 12:34 AM
Re hack cpanel3.cgi if there is a mistake in Adding the news in the CP.
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/01/2002 12:19 AM
Hi, AFAIK, the cpanel3.cgi hack is fine. What I have noticed, that there is this line in cpanel3 -
"open(NEWS,"<$CGIPath/newzline.cgi");"

There is no such script "newzline.cgi" in the news fader hack, nor in my cgi-bin. Surely there should be? And if so, is the News fader hack from the UBB database missing one vital script?
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/02/2002 12:31 PM
Hi guys, anyone notice this "newzline.cgi"?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/02/2002 2:21 PM
Oh yeah. I think thats where the newslines are stored...

Whats that file Chmodded to?
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/02/2002 6:24 PM
Now Im just getting confused...there is no such script in the hack, I have never seen it in my life, and its certainly not in my cgi-bin. This is what Im trying to say - surely this should be given to us in the hack, and then uploaded to the cgi-bin? This is the first time I have heard that the UBB will create a cgi script on the cuff? Can u see what I mean dexter? There is no mention of newzline.cgi in the instructions of the hack itself - i searched for the word "newzline.cgi" - there were 5 references, all in code -

$CGIPath/newzline.cgi");" etc.

Is this some sort of extended april fools, and just decided to miss out the script? wink

CGIPath/newzline.cgi");"

And, i cannot get any newsline to store any data in my board - surely this is because this phantom script (newzline.cgi) was just not included in the hack/instructions?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/03/2002 2:19 AM
Well there is your problem. It can't write the file. Maybe try chmod your cgi-bin to 777 and see how it goes.
Posted By: Rich99 Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/03/2002 4:46 PM
It works! there is no instructions of uploading a script (newzline.cgi) at all (and must be 777 it seems) - I hope administrators add that to the hack!
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: News fader, adding a newsline...... - 04/04/2002 2:54 AM
There is no instructions because it is created automatically when you try to insert a newsline.
© UBB.Developers