Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hi all, got my news fader up - http://tropicalfish.site5.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi But blowed if i can add a newsline. I can add the contributions/newest member, but as soon as i "add" text to my newsline in the CP...it all just disappears, i cannot edit anything, and it just goes...somewhere...any ideas? confused

btw, when i do try to add some text is says "ADD NEWS Rich, The new Newsline successfully added!" but it certainly doesnt! frown

Sponsored Links
Have you uploaded flash.js and Chmodded it correctly?

Hi Lord dexter smile U mean fader.js? I did not know I needed to change the permissions?...the fader seems to work, but i cannot add any text though....(the announcements/new member are ok)

Well check that. That is where the news info is stored I think.

Check the readme to see if you do need to give it permissions.

Thats the thing, none of the info is being stored when i submit the data.....has your board got a news fader LD? The readme doesnt say I have to change any permissions AFAIK.

Sponsored Links
I don't have my v5 up at the moment so I can't check. But if I can remember right it does need some permissions...

## INSTALLATION :
##
## upload fader.js to your non-cgi-bin folder IN ASCII!
## upload fade.gif to your non-cgi-bin folder
##
## in Ultimate.cgi, find

No "permissions", "ch,od" in the entire thing... confused

Strange, if it doesn't say it should work then.

Is your NONCGI Directory Chmodded to 777?

Thats the thing, the fader works....its there, u can see it, but anothe part of the fader is to add text to it in the control panel...that seems to be the problem here. I probably have made a mistake in the installation, but I dont know where it the error has aoccured...if anyone could help?....

You know, i cant find out about the permissions anymore....I got rid of CuteFTP, and now im on WS-FTP - but i cannot see how i can view the permssions, either Dir/file. lol, how do u do it? I can change the permission, but bugger me, it wont tell me what the original permissions are!

Anyway, the best thing i can do is - drwxrwxrwx for the dir - wouldnt that be full 777?

Re hack cpanel3.cgi if there is a mistake in Adding the news in the CP.

Sponsored Links
Hi, AFAIK, the cpanel3.cgi hack is fine. What I have noticed, that there is this line in cpanel3 -
"open(NEWS,"<$CGIPath/newzline.cgi");"

There is no such script "newzline.cgi" in the news fader hack, nor in my cgi-bin. Surely there should be? And if so, is the News fader hack from the UBB database missing one vital script?

Hi guys, anyone notice this "newzline.cgi"?

Oh yeah. I think thats where the newslines are stored...

Whats that file Chmodded to?

Now Im just getting confused...there is no such script in the hack, I have never seen it in my life, and its certainly not in my cgi-bin. This is what Im trying to say - surely this should be given to us in the hack, and then uploaded to the cgi-bin? This is the first time I have heard that the UBB will create a cgi script on the cuff? Can u see what I mean dexter? There is no mention of newzline.cgi in the instructions of the hack itself - i searched for the word "newzline.cgi" - there were 5 references, all in code -

$CGIPath/newzline.cgi");" etc.

Is this some sort of extended april fools, and just decided to miss out the script? wink

CGIPath/newzline.cgi");"

And, i cannot get any newsline to store any data in my board - surely this is because this phantom script (newzline.cgi) was just not included in the hack/instructions?

Well there is your problem. It can't write the file. Maybe try chmod your cgi-bin to 777 and see how it goes.

It works! there is no instructions of uploading a script (newzline.cgi) at all (and must be 777 it seems) - I hope administrators add that to the hack!

There is no instructions because it is created automatically when you try to insert a newsline.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63