UBB.Dev
Posted By: Zackary Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/23/2002 9:39 PM
Was asked today by one of my users if there was a way for them to decide which categories and/or forums they could view so they didn't have to "scroll all the way down the page". tipsy

Well of course I said no, but now I'm thinking about it and is that such a bad idea?

To give the user an option, say in their profile, as to which categories they see when they come to the board, or even what forums?

Let's use UBBDev as an example, since I spend most of my time lurking in the newer version boards, (currently V6.3), I never look in the V5 modifications forum...

Also, I've no interest in looking at the International support forums so I just scroll by them. Doesn't bother me, but what if the board allowed me to just show the categories (or forums) that I usually haunt?

Would that be cool or what? For example I'd come to UBBDev and I could just see V6.3 Mods, Announcements, Design and Graphics Forums, and that'd would be it!

Anyone else think this is a good idea? I'm totally a novice with Perl, but I am pumped up enough by this idea that I think I'd be willing to buy the camel and get serious. tipsy

That is unless someone else out there has a hack like this or is working on one?

Just curious folks. Would like to see what others think about my hair brained idea. tipsy

~Z
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/23/2002 10:55 PM
cal henderson wrote a "favorites" modification for v5. It is possible that it could be updated for v6, the problem would be that it would kill the cache and the php accelerator since most everyone would have their own "fave forums". There may be other possibilities smile

I wanna work on "newbie templates" soon... to make it easier for new members to find out how to post and such...
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/24/2002 12:30 AM
Could always create cache files for every user. wink Good idea, i'll do some brainstorming on how to do it.
Posted By: Zackary Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/24/2002 2:16 AM
Cool thanks for the replies guys. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with Greg. smile

I forgot about the cache. frown Always forgetting the important stuff. tipsy

If this could be done I think it would be one of the best mods for UBB yet. I just sat and read all the new posts on my board and I realized that yeah, my board IS getting long. hehe smile

Appreciate the responses. smile

~Z
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/24/2002 2:40 AM
Ugh. This is a touch harder than I imagined. Not impossible, mind you. I'll bring this up to the rest of the developers.

If you have any more questions or suggestions, i'm always out of ideas. wink
Posted By: Zackary Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 05/24/2002 3:20 AM
Hehe, that's ok, thanks for looking into it. Please give a big shout out if you figure out how to do something like this. laugh

~Z
Posted By: Zackary Re: Making UBB more "user customizable"... - 07/03/2002 5:14 AM
Just following up on this... anyone have any further ideas? smile

I've got a membership clash on my site, one side wants to see all the forums, the rest only want to see a select few...

If it's not possible, that's fine, but I'd just like to know where we stand. wink

~Z
© UBB.Developers