Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Was asked today by one of my users if there was a way for them to decide which categories and/or forums they could view so they didn't have to "scroll all the way down the page". tipsy

Well of course I said no, but now I'm thinking about it and is that such a bad idea?

To give the user an option, say in their profile, as to which categories they see when they come to the board, or even what forums?

Let's use UBBDev as an example, since I spend most of my time lurking in the newer version boards, (currently V6.3), I never look in the V5 modifications forum...

Also, I've no interest in looking at the International support forums so I just scroll by them. Doesn't bother me, but what if the board allowed me to just show the categories (or forums) that I usually haunt?

Would that be cool or what? For example I'd come to UBBDev and I could just see V6.3 Mods, Announcements, Design and Graphics Forums, and that'd would be it!

Anyone else think this is a good idea? I'm totally a novice with Perl, but I am pumped up enough by this idea that I think I'd be willing to buy the camel and get serious. tipsy

That is unless someone else out there has a hack like this or is working on one?

Just curious folks. Would like to see what others think about my hair brained idea. tipsy

~Z

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
cal henderson wrote a "favorites" modification for v5. It is possible that it could be updated for v6, the problem would be that it would kill the cache and the php accelerator since most everyone would have their own "fave forums". There may be other possibilities smile

I wanna work on "newbie templates" soon... to make it easier for new members to find out how to post and such...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Could always create cache files for every user. wink Good idea, i'll do some brainstorming on how to do it.

Cool thanks for the replies guys. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with Greg. smile

I forgot about the cache. frown Always forgetting the important stuff. tipsy

If this could be done I think it would be one of the best mods for UBB yet. I just sat and read all the new posts on my board and I realized that yeah, my board IS getting long. hehe smile

Appreciate the responses. smile

~Z

Ugh. This is a touch harder than I imagined. Not impossible, mind you. I'll bring this up to the rest of the developers.

If you have any more questions or suggestions, i'm always out of ideas. wink

Sponsored Links
Hehe, that's ok, thanks for looking into it. Please give a big shout out if you figure out how to do something like this. laugh

~Z

Just following up on this... anyone have any further ideas? smile

I've got a membership clash on my site, one side wants to see all the forums, the rest only want to see a select few...

If it's not possible, that's fine, but I'd just like to know where we stand. wink

~Z

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63