UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jamin What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:10 PM
Ok, I know I'm probably going to open up a can of worms by asking this, but let me explain... I figure you guys know forums programs better than anyone, so you guys get to be my resource. smile

I'm doing an internship for a company, redoing their website. Prior to now, they've been using Yahoo Groups as their "forums" (if you can really call them that...). They want to get a new forums program, but they don't want to spend any money. Hence, I can't convince them to just buy UBB (and believe me, I tried). There are only two features that they absolutely need in a forums program, and those features are full post moderation and full registration moderation. It's a company board, and they only want their paying support customers to be allowed on their forums - so they want to be able to approve all new members and all new posts before they're allowed to go to the live board.

For the last week, I've been scouring Hotscripts and Resource Index, trying dozens of different freebie/opensource scripts, and I still haven't found anything that comes with both of those features. phpBB had hacks that allowed you to have those features, but it also had a ton of other horsecrap features that I was going to have to manually remove from the code because their control panel is absolutely worthless. And I'm getting to the point where I've almost decided I'm just going to have to write my own bloody forums program for them, in addition to the rest of the website, since the search for a pre-existing free script with those two features is looking more and more futile.

So I figured I'd give it one last shot, and ask you guys if you knew of any free programs that had those two features. I would prefer PHP/MySQL, but at this point, even if it is flatfile I probably wouldn't care. Hell, at this point I'd probably go for it if it was written in QBasic and was backended by an Excel spreadsheet. Anything to save me the trouble of writing my own.

Thanks in advance, y'all. Sorry for asking about something other than UBB here... but I'm desparate. And I've got 3300 posts here, it's not like I'm a n00b or anything. tipsy

---Jamin
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:22 PM
3302 tipsy

You might try snitz forum as well, if you don't mind .asp and such. I believe it will run on most any database. The people over there are pretty nice, I ran snitz and its precursor before I ran ubb smile
Posted By: Jamin Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:36 PM
K, I'll try there. Thanks Allen! laugh

---Jamin
Posted By: Gizmo Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:36 PM
You should tell them that, with a pay-to-use board (such as the UBB) any security related issues are worked out pretty much immediately (at UBBCentral). Plus we have large communities (well, you're here aren't you?) for modifications and free support...

Besides, I woudln't be caught dead running a freeware forum (like YaBB) which are under constant scruteny (Ya know, a bunch of "presidential" sites ran YaBB Gold in its infancy, a large portion got their admin accounts deleted as soon as it was discovered their site was running a version of a forum that leaves all info public so long as you know where to look)...
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:47 PM
Pssst, Eve has full post and member moderation. wink
Posted By: Jamin Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/12/2004 11:59 PM
I tried selling them on UBB. Forums are important to my supervisor, but they're apparently not important to the guy who signs off on the purchase orders, so I couldn't get them to buy a license for anything.

And I tried selling them on Infopop hosting and Eve, but there was some reason (which I now can't remember) for them not doing that.

Believe me, I have pushed Infopop at every opportunity. They're just not taking the bait. frown

---Jamin
Posted By: Gizmo Re: What's a good forums program? - 11/13/2004 12:07 AM
Charles, if eve was a downloadable product I'd have definately switched over for my site; but I find InfoPop webhosting a little on the expensive side for my current needs.
© UBB.Developers