Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90086 11/12/2004 4:10 PM
Moderator / Template Diva
Ok, I know I'm probably going to open up a can of worms by asking this, but let me explain... I figure you guys know forums programs better than anyone, so you guys get to be my resource. smile

I'm doing an internship for a company, redoing their website. Prior to now, they've been using Yahoo Groups as their "forums" (if you can really call them that...). They want to get a new forums program, but they don't want to spend any money. Hence, I can't convince them to just buy UBB (and believe me, I tried). There are only two features that they absolutely need in a forums program, and those features are full post moderation and full registration moderation. It's a company board, and they only want their paying support customers to be allowed on their forums - so they want to be able to approve all new members and all new posts before they're allowed to go to the live board.

For the last week, I've been scouring Hotscripts and Resource Index, trying dozens of different freebie/opensource scripts, and I still haven't found anything that comes with both of those features. phpBB had hacks that allowed you to have those features, but it also had a ton of other horsecrap features that I was going to have to manually remove from the code because their control panel is absolutely worthless. And I'm getting to the point where I've almost decided I'm just going to have to write my own bloody forums program for them, in addition to the rest of the website, since the search for a pre-existing free script with those two features is looking more and more futile.

So I figured I'd give it one last shot, and ask you guys if you knew of any free programs that had those two features. I would prefer PHP/MySQL, but at this point, even if it is flatfile I probably wouldn't care. Hell, at this point I'd probably go for it if it was written in QBasic and was backended by an Excel spreadsheet. Anything to save me the trouble of writing my own.

Thanks in advance, y'all. Sorry for asking about something other than UBB here... but I'm desparate. And I've got 3300 posts here, it's not like I'm a n00b or anything. tipsy

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
3302 tipsy

You might try snitz forum as well, if you don't mind .asp and such. I believe it will run on most any database. The people over there are pretty nice, I ran snitz and its precursor before I ran ubb smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
K, I'll try there. Thanks Allen! laugh

---Jamin

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
You should tell them that, with a pay-to-use board (such as the UBB) any security related issues are worked out pretty much immediately (at UBBCentral). Plus we have large communities (well, you're here aren't you?) for modifications and free support...

Besides, I woudln't be caught dead running a freeware forum (like YaBB) which are under constant scruteny (Ya know, a bunch of "presidential" sites ran YaBB Gold in its infancy, a large portion got their admin accounts deleted as soon as it was discovered their site was running a version of a forum that leaves all info public so long as you know where to look)...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pssst, Eve has full post and member moderation. wink

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Sponsored Links
I tried selling them on UBB. Forums are important to my supervisor, but they're apparently not important to the guy who signs off on the purchase orders, so I couldn't get them to buy a license for anything.

And I tried selling them on Infopop hosting and Eve, but there was some reason (which I now can't remember) for them not doing that.

Believe me, I have pushed Infopop at every opportunity. They're just not taking the bait. frown

---Jamin

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Charles, if eve was a downloadable product I'd have definately switched over for my site; but I find InfoPop webhosting a little on the expensive side for my current needs.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63