Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hack works great, but..where the hell do i get avatars lol

Sponsored Links
quasic,

Thanks for the help.

I actually figured out the problem this morning. It was a UNIX board set-up issue. I needed to upload the custom avatars in a separate sub-directory inside the html directory.

Anyway, it's now showing up. Thanks!

Developer
Developer
twinspin, I'm glad it's working for you know! (and nothing wrong w/ the script)

Caldazar, if you're hosted on Windows NT, and don't have admin access to the server, you have to phone Tech support to get those directory changes. CHMOD is only for UNIX.

Finally everyone else, hi everyone,

Recently I've been getting more and more support requests for this hack with sufficient information. Just to clarify, I'll require the following information to fully diagose your problem and (hopefully) provide a solution.

1. Version of your UBB
2. URL to your UBB
3. A _thorough_ description of the problem
4. What steps have you taken to resolve the problem?
5. If there was an error message what is it?
6. What platform are you running UBB on? Something like Windows is not sufficient. You'll need something like Apache 1.3.19 on Windows 2K Advanced Server SP1.
7. Have you double checked and tripled checked your permissions?
8. Were the scripts uploaded correctly and into the right directories?
9. If the problem is reproduceable, give me a thorough STEP-BY-STEP of how the problem may be reproduced. A problem such as "My Custom Avatars don't work." doesn't really help me diagose the problem without accompanying information. For example, do the custom avatars only work for a certain group of people? or people with a certain registration number?

I can't stress the importance of reading through the documentation. This is what it is for. DO NOT BYPASS THIS STEP.

qasic

The only problem I have, at the moment, is upon registration.

Prior to choosing an avatar and in some cases after, the cell spacing height warped. Each word of the avatar area is on a separate line. This didn't happen with v3, but is happening with v5. I've reapplied the coding twice with the same results.

UBB version 6.0 gold.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Blueprint
Developer
Developer
Hmm,

Can you give me a screenshot with this info: Browser, Version, System OS, and Screen Resolution

FYI, the Image now appears in between the Avatar Information Text and the Avatar Selection list.

qasic

[ March 21, 2001: Message edited by: qasic ]

Sponsored Links
Can't do the screen shot right now.

IE 5.0, Server is linux, 1024x768.

If the avatar is 64 x 64, upon choosing it, it appears to straighten up. Not so with the smaller avatars.

Here is what it looks like:

Your
Choose
an avatar
for yourself.
It will be
displayed
whenever
you
post or
reply.

None of the other choices are affected.

Thanks for the help.

Blueprint
Developer
Developer
I'm betting it has to do w/ layer size. Let me do some beta testing at home at your screen resolution. If you can also e-mail me a copy of the source code behind that thing that would be great too. ([email protected])

q

Hello qasic. I installed this hack and it is truely an excellent feature..good work.

There is one problem i am having, it is my fault obviously but i cannot fin the problem.

Everything else works fine, apart from when i go to my control panel and select "avatar settings" from teh primary setting, or "manage avatars" from maintenance, i get nothing. The actual control panel shows with everyting on it, and the copyright info contained in the hack, but nothing inbetween the navigation and the copyright info...

any idea why this would be?

Developer
Developer
Yep,

You never read the FAQ part of the documentation. It mentions a solution for this EXACT problem - you did now upload your templates correctly. Re-upload your avatar templates and all should be well.

qasic

I have tried to install this hack over 5 times and this version has been the easiest but still i don't have enough skill to pull it off completely.

1. v6
2. http://www.venom-matrix.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
3. I have a few problems. One, the control panel won't work anymore it just shows 500 errors. Two, in the profile area I can't choose an avatar it just has none and a line.
4. On the first one i tried CHMODing the hell out of cp.cgi and it was no use. On the seccond, i have no clue
5. 500
6. UNIX

sorry that is all i really know. I really want this hack and i have tried so many times can somebody help me please. eek

Sponsored Links
Developer
Developer
It looks as if these problems are related. Looking at your UBB, I noticed the following problem:
http://www.venom-matrix.com/ubb/Templates/cp_vars_avatar.pl - NOT found http://www.venom-matrix.com/ubb/Templates/cp_manage_avatars.pl

My diagnosis? You did not upload your Templates correctly. Re-read the install doc and look over the part about uploading the templates!

qasic

Heya,

Since there's been some recent changes in the coding of UBB 6.01 as far as with '' instead of "", should I replace the various codes in this hack in the cp.cgi from, for example:

if (($ubb eq "vars_avatar") && ($status eq "Administrator")) {

to:

if (($ubb eq 'vars_avatar') && ($status eq 'Administrator')) {

etc. etc.? Just curious. smile

It appears to work fine in 6.01 without the changes, I was just wondering if it was something that SHOULD be changed...

[ March 22, 2001: Message edited by: Alien ]

Administrator / WTF.com / IWantMy80s.com
http://www.wtf.com
http://www.iwantmy80s.com
Developer
Developer
I heard there were some perl differences in regards to that. If you want to, go ahead. I probably will too.

qasic

Thanks!

the double quotes " " are used to replace variables for their values inside a string. the simple quotes ' ' on the other hand, sees everything as a string.

for that fact, i believe using simple quotes when you dont need to use variables in a string makes the code processing faster. (i think)

I installed this hack.
Works great so far!!!! Thanks a lot.

But my users are starting to bug me to upload customs avatars for them eek
Can you make some modifications, so users can do it for themself? I don't like to be buged much laugh laugh laugh

Igor
Thanks for the clarification, CC! smile

quote:

qasic, thanks for this perfectly doc'd hack! First try worked perfectly (with the exception that I forgot my custom folder) smile Did catch a typo which makes it 99.9% perfect
quote:
I'm ashamed that I found that though [Linked Image]

Great Job! laugh

[ March 22, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]

jeremiah
Also, you may want to either start a new thread (guess it should be moved to finished mods soon anyway) or overtake the first post of this thread.

Looks complete to me!

jeremiah
Developer
Developer
Freakscene, fixed.

I WILL NOT give an option which allows user to upload custom avatars .. it's WAY too much of a security risk (plus the fact I'll get tons more support requests - see latter why.)

Known Issues in Avatar Hack:

Issue: Preview Avatar in Netscape Doesn't Work
Status: Spent another two yours working on this. Unfortuantely, I don't think there will be a fix for this. The error seems to come from the fact that the
tag must be above the
I want it laugh release it please wink

quote:
Man you rock! That makes it 100% wink

quote:
made these changes as I installed as I read about them in the earlier threads posted via mr. Alien, CopyCat and yourself so sounds like you are still batting 1000 over here!

Thanks again for all the time and effort on this!

[ March 23, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]

jeremiah
#131415 03/23/2001 10:08 PM
Works great on this end. I do have a minor question, Is there a site that has a zip file or somewhat of a site that we can download the customs avatars?

If you look your code you have it setup for your customs avatars. Do you think you can post a link on this topic also to download the customs avatars gifs.

It would make it alot easy for user to set it up correctly then alter the code and mess it up more.

#131416 03/24/2001 12:44 AM
Developer
Developer
Basically any gif renamed to membernumber.gif or any jpg renamed to membernumber.jpg uploaded to the custom avatar directory will work.

q

is this like out of beta or very near it. coz i really want this. so it auto loads the files etc etc.(like someone said in page one)

thanx in advance

i cant get to the download, the URL u giv is a 404 4 me!

#131419 01/05/2003 10:36 AM
ok, so this hack adds a line to profile so people can put up the custom avatars by their self?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63