Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
agree with DK here, solitary... JM has pretty much abandoned this due to time constraints. If you have the time to fix some bugs (and add a few well requested changes ;)), we'd be more than happy to give you credit where is due smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
I third that notion..

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Active Topics but have a few problems. The most important one is this:

Today my UBB has had 5 messages, but Active Topics only display one of them. The latest one every time. If someone writes a new message, it displays that one, and not the latest "5" in which i have asked it to confused

Am i doing something wrong (don't you just love these questions? ) laugh

I'm using UBB v.6.04e and the latest Active Topics (downloaded yesterday). Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Best Regards, Terje Dahl

I saw that question asked many times, but can't find the answer: My board is not too active... How can I make it show the last 5 topics, regardless of the day? Not just today's which sometimes presents you with an empty box.
or to the least make it say: there are no active topics today yet, please click here to go to the full board.

[ June 12, 2001 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Lionel ]

Hi

Just installed active topic on http://www.soaring.dk/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics but it dosnt seems to work, just getting a blank screen.

In the ubb control panel ewerything seems to be working.

I have UBB 6.04f

Hope that someone can help

Sponsored Links
#131836 06/15/2001 12:55 PM
Okay, I'm finishing my last mod to JM's hack. It will FTP the active topics to another server located anywhere, which can then be used as an include on your homepage. Or anywhere else for that matter. The reason I looked at Active topics 1.8 in the first place.
I've got a regular website to run, but I'll try to address your current problems and requests quickly. I'll also need someone to volunteer to test this on a unix machine, as we only have NTs and 2000s at work. I have a linux machine at home, but I've tweaked the hell out of it, so it's not a good trial.
I also want to whip up documentation for this.
One last try to light the fire under JM:
I will give credit to you, however, I noticed that the majority of what you've done was to copy the original code from UBB 6, plug it into it's own cgi and then destroy the existing get_daily routine. A lot of my work has been undoing yours.mad
For those of you who anticipate this "hacked hack" please be patient. I've got 15 pages (600 posts) of bugs, praises, failures and curses to read over. I'd like to not make the same mistakes as my predecessor.

"I have no particular talent, I am just extremely inquisitive"
Albert Einstein
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
laugh

Thanks solitary... I think we'd like to maintain the get_daily routine and just use this as an ancillary active.cgi, much like the v5 version... anyway you can make the cinderella effect go away too would be great..:) a completely standalone script would be OUTSTANDING! laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I agree with Allen above... aww I can almost taste the multiple SSI output streams and forum filtering! =)

Hurray..

Just keeping the topic ALIVE before it vanishes on to Page 2 =).

#131840 06/18/2001 12:54 PM
Kahuna
Kahuna
i have a unix server, and would be willing to help out with the testing / experimentataion.

lemme just be clear as to what im interested in getting out of this modification:

id like to have the 5 or 10 (# determined by admin in the CP) most recent, active topics (new topics and/or newest replies) listed on the bottom of atleast my ultimatebb.cgi's forum summary. id like them listed in a table that displayes the topic, the poster, the time/date, as well as the first 20/50 or so words (again, # determined by admin in the CP) of the reply.

possible variations could, perhaps, include some forum-specific tables, where, say, upon entering a "baseball" forum, there's a table at the bottom with the 5 most recent baseball replies/posts (this'd be cool, but certainly not necessary)

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hey Rob, just thought of this, you can do an invisible i-frame to put these anywhere... wouldn't slow the loading of your forum either..

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
hmm... interesting...

i-frame the existing active topics cgi? ... definitely a good theory (better'n mine! that whole combining active.cgi and ultimatebb.cgi thing was a disaster).

wouldnt work in netscape, but... hey, would anyone notice? hmm... well'p, if this here active topics bit sol is proposing doesnt work out, im takin you up on that offer, and tryin it out.

thanks, double a!

I'm sorry... I didn't notice I wasn't supposed to ask questions in here. Post deleted. I moved it to the questions forum.

[ June 19, 2001 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Holly At Dog Hause ]

I'm sorry... I didn't notice I wasn't supposed to ask questions in here. Post deleted. I moved it to the questions forum.

[ June 19, 2001 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Holly At Dog Hause ]

[ June 19, 2001 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Holly At Dog Hause ]

#131846 06/20/2001 11:58 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
we need to reword that... you can't post new threads that are questions, you are welcome to post questions regarding a modification in their corresponding thread tho...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#131847 06/20/2001 12:11 PM
Kahuna
Kahuna
heya sol (and/or double a)

mayhaps its time to create a new thread for the newly proposed active topics mod (v 2.0?) where all the details for that mod, however different and beautiful, can be discussed.

...or something.

#131848 06/20/2001 12:19 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
good idea.. as soon as he posts code, we can start a new one... this one is mostly people complaining laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Doh.

I was going to install this right now... and had a question... but it looks like i should just wait a little bit and try out the new one.

heh

#131850 06/20/2001 11:17 PM
Tap tap tap... Yawwwwn... Sigh... frown

Yeah, it always pays to read the last page. smile

#131851 06/21/2001 12:49 PM
Okay.. I misunderstood. Here was the post or the basic idea from before. I posted it on quetsions too but I didn't get any reply. Right now my ubb is not functioning. I know that if need be I can restore it (before I tried once already) but I would like to get it working. Please please help. Thank you.

---------------

posted June 19, 2001 08:55 PM

Good evening,

The Active Topics hack is a great idea and I'm sure when I get it working I'll love it.

However I messed something up. Maybe you all can help.

I am running my site and ubb (Version 6.04d) on a unix box. Yesterday and the day before I tried to install Active Topics v1.8d. I have checked and double checked the code that I needed to edit and also the file permissions of the new and edited files and I believe all that be be set up correctly.

The URL to my site is http://www.doghause.com/. The UBB should be at http://doghause.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi but since I did the hack, it (ultimatebb.cgi and cp.cgi) just won't work. I get Error 500.

I feel a little out of my element as I am an html coder and not really a programmer. If anyone can offer any help, I'd appreciate it. Mostly what I am looking for is either the magic answer that tells me what I most likely did or a way to test cgi to see where things are going wrong.

Thank you for reading this and thanks in advance if you care to help.

Holly

PS I noticed one weird issue. In the text doc that is included in the zip file that among other things lists what files to upload, one file it lists is called ubb_active_topics.pl but the file included is ubb_active_topics.cgi. I tried renaming ubb_active_topics.cgi to ubb_active_topics.pl but that didn't solve any problems. What is it supposed to be? pl or cgi? Maybe I should look for references to ubb_active_topics.pl in the other docs... I'm so lost.

---------------

Hey all. It's me again. Just wanted to let you know, I put it back the way it was. Just couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. Maybe when teh next version comes out I'll try again.

[ June 25, 2001 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Holly At Dog Hause ]

So what's happened to the guy supposed to be carrying the mod on? Haven't seen any posts.

#131853 06/27/2001 11:20 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
its deja vu all over again... frown

Kahuna
Kahuna
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!

why, ubbdev... why have you foresaken me?! a simple active topics mod is all i ask.

i dont understand your complicated ways, your new fangled cgi's... this "magic box" that i stare at daily, it wont answer my questions.

for you see... im just a caveman -- unfrozen by a group of modern day scientists. i dont understand the ways of your world. i dont understand the philosophies you use. i dont understand how to make an active topics list for my board...

but i do know this...

someone out there does! and all this simple, unfrozen caveman lawyer needs is your assistance.

thank you.

If you didnt know.. He is selling his UBB and going to be moving on to a different kind of ubb. smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
and thus... we wait in eternal slumber once more....

..sigh..

Has anybody tried to contact the guy who supposedly took over?

Hello everyone,

I don't use many hacks but a particular hack called Active Threads (for UBB5.x) was my favorite. So about 2 weeks ago when I upgraded my UBB from 5.x to 6.05 and started looking for an Active Threads or equivalent mod. Active Topics was the only thing close to it.

I've read everyones posts here and found many of the same frustrations and problems I recieved using Active Topics and won't go into details. I no longer use Active Topics.

What I'm looking for is an Active Threads type of mod. Since there is none for UBB6.x I've decided to create one.

I invite everyone who is looking for a mod thats more like Active Threads from UBB5.x to try Latest Threads SSI. I'm a huge UBB fan and will support and update the Latest Threads SSI mod.

Latest Threads SSI is completely new code. No code from Active Threads or Active Topics has been copied.

More info on Latest Threads SSI v1.0beta

Thanks

Casual

[ July 05, 2001 04:31 AM: Message edited by: djcasual ]

Does anyone have the link to the latest file for this. The current link is broken ._.;.

//i wanna scream, show the world i have an inside.
i wanna bleed, let the blood flow, that keeps me alive.
I just found out that i had a copy of the latest version in the depths on my computer. =D

Here you go

#131861 04/21/2002 11:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jigga-Master:

Regular Example:
http://www.411hype.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics

Getting a 404 on your example link.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63