I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ummm.. jb seems to have gone on vacation again wink

edit the template file to remove the "replies"

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
quote:
I would like to echo this statement verbatim. I too have this script installed and it appears to be functioning perfectly, but my host server log lists this exact error for each request UBBNews2 makes. In other words, if I set UBBNews to pull 2 topics from 3 different forums, my sever log will show the error mentioned above 6 times.

(I know, pick, pick, pick) but I would like to get rid of this error. smile

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I have the same problem with this hack as I do the Latest Threads. When I use the #exec cgi statement on IIS 5 I get nothing, just a blank. I can run the page manually in my browser and it works fine.

An include virtual shows the cgi code...

Still hoping for an answer on how to make this work on IIS!

I'm having the exact same problem as XPerT. When I enter the cgi manually in the browser, it works perfectly, but the #exec SSI call does not work at all -- just produces a blank screen. I've gone over it for hours with my server experts, and they say the SSI call is entered correctly (right path/call and everything), but that something is wrong with the cgi script itself.

Any ideas?

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: August ]

I have had a difficult time getting UBBNews to honor the font settings I have for my Headlines Only session. I know others have had this problem, but I have never seen the solution posted in the forums. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
-Eric

Sponsored Links
Nevermind, I figured it out.

quote:

Same thing happening here frown

And so another year begins...
QUESTION- what do you do if one of your forums has a space in it? Like if the forum name is General Discussion, it'll think you're trying to call topics from "General" and "Discussion", right?

quote:
Originally posted by BloggerMan:
QUESTION- what do you do if one of your forums has a space in it? Like if the forum name is General Discussion, it'll think you're trying to call topics from "General" and "Discussion", right?

Don't you just enter the forum number instead of the forum name?

Works great here... one of the best hacks ever!

quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
I have the same problem with this hack as I do the Latest Threads. When I use the #exec cgi statement on IIS 5 I get nothing, just a blank. I can run the page manually in my browser and it works fine.

An include virtual shows the cgi code...

Still hoping for an answer on how to make this work on IIS!

First off, if you already haven't done this, save the file as shtml. Secondly, in IIS, you need to make the file writeable and executable. Set execute permssions to scripts and executables. You may need to play around in IIS, since I totally forgot what voodoo raindance song I had to sing to get SSI to work. I had the exact same problems.

Sponsored Links
If you search the Microsoft Knowledge Base (heck, do a deja.com search on "IIS SSI enable") you should find a step-by-step document on enabling SSI on IIS 4.0 and 5.0. The trick is usually to make sure all file extensions are parsed by the SSI or ASP dll rather than html files not being parsed, as well as cgi files. On my IIS 4.0 box, the hack worked almost perfectly right out of the box...

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the option as to whether I want the summary count to apply to all forums selected or to each enumerated forum... no matter what I pick (yes/no) when I return to the control pannel and pull up the UBBNews options, I get neither box selected and the code always defaults to "no".

Some suggestions / request I was going to make (and I may try and get ambitious and see if I can figure out how to do it myself) are:

1. Allow a third summary option that takes the first X characters, not including the title of the forum or the date, but perhaps includes the user name so that one could show "UserXyZ was heard saying "blah, blah, blah..." and so forth...

2. Allow an option that actually scans ALL active non-private forums and picks the X newest posts or replies from ALL the forums, kind of like the daily summary does (but without resetting at midnight and with a configurable X number).

3. Create a better interface for selecting the forums. Opening two screens in the CP to make a list of all the forums to be included, guaging which ones should be (the most active ones or the ones you most want to promote) would be great... i.e., perhaps a list with checkboxes of all the forums active unerneath, with a # of posts, replies, and date of last activity, so one can then just check the checkboxes and when pressing Save Settings, those forums get added (instead of the one line "type in all the forum numbers you want to include, with a space between each" that is featured now.

In any case, this is a very nice hack, is going to either completely solve my issue or give me sufficient basis to modify it to suit my needs.

Thanks, JB. And thanks to LK and dj in helping me find it via email in the first place.

Mario Kroll
Wargamer.com

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63