Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Fixed? the Sytles problem, or my problem? I ask, because I download the zip again, and then checked the sized of the files, and the instructions. All of the files are the same size, and there is no change to the instructions.

If my problem is fixed, then I assume I need to redo the install? Or is there one file I need to reupload and/or edit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok, ive got this working, but its displaying:

E46 M3 Discussion: TEST ( 06-01-2002 10:28 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Its Gone ( 06-01-2002 09:43 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: All of this car buying is doing my 'ed in ( 06-01-2002 09:10 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: I can't take it anymore... ( 06-01-2002 05:34 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: SMG S5 ( 05-31-2002 09:08 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Return after 4 Month 'Lay Up' ( 05-31-2002 08:07 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Idling speed and SMG clunking ( 05-31-2002 07:20 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Put pen to paperwork today ( 05-31-2002 07:13 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: HELP on Univ Trans fitting to Euro spec ( 05-31-2002 06:09 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Got blown away this morning! ( 05-31-2002 05:06 PM )

How do I set it so a) It doesnt put the forum name at the start of each topic, and b) remove the time and date at the end?

thanks!

Journeyman
Journeyman
I've managed to remove the date, time and forum description, but I am left with the brackets that would normally be before and after the date and time, and also the colon after the forum name ie:

E46 M3 Discussion: TEST ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Its Gone ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: All of this car buying is doing my 'ed in ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: I can't take it anymore... ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: SMG S5 ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Return after 4 Month 'Lay Up' ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Idling speed and SMG clunking ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Put pen to paperwork today ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: HELP on Univ Trans fitting to Euro spec ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Got blown away this morning! ( )

Ive checked the code, but not being mr coder, im not sure where these are?

Journeyman
Journeyman
OK! found it in the template!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok, I have everything working great, but I notice that the script only collects a list of NEW topics, and ignores updated topics..

Is there any way of amending, or adding a feature that allows it to include a thread if it has been updated/replied to as well?

That would be great.. this tool is brilliant.

Sponsored Links
[code][/code]tipsy [/b]
Ok so the colours are back now thanks smile But I really want my header to show and be changeable from the Cp as per the normal template!! how does one get this to work please?

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
Everything works peachy, except for the fact that it has set any other SSI's after the UBB News to read images from the noncgi directory which I don't want it to do..

Here's an example:
http://www.liberifatali.com/umbrella/index2.shtml

Notice that on the right, all the images have '/noncgi' in them which shouldn't be..

Any ideas please?
Thanks smile

[EDIT]
I fixed this by FORCING my other images to read from their exact path.. But this should be an issue that needs fixing.. wink

Realised the maxchar is not being updated...

found that in your cp_ubbnews.cgi

there's this

print FILE "foo1 => q~$in{foo1}~,n";

changed it to
print FILE "maxchars => q~$in{maxchars}~,n";

and it worked.

smile

Any chance of allowing multiple HTML templates?

quote:
Originally posted by Dave2:
Any chance of allowing multiple HTML templates?

was just about to ask the same thing..lol

Sponsored Links
Greetings.
I installed this hack and it works with no major issues, however the one that I do have is the following:
I have only two choices, display only the headlines, or the entire topic.
I tried the check features and that did not do it, I also tried limiting the number of characters and that also failed. Is there a way to show only a part of the topic and have a link to "read more" as in the ubb front page? I'll appreciate any help I can get in solving this matter.
Great hack!!.

Rabriar

Never mind I tryed it again and it works flawlessly.
I must have them gremlins in my server....

Excellent work!!
Rabriar

I used this hack to add the latest topics to my homepage, and it appears to work fine, but...

It doesn't seem to address new REPLIES. That is, if someone posted a message last week saying "How do I do this...?" and then a week later, someone else posted a reply saying "Here is how you do it..." then I'd like that to show up as a news item. That is, I want a list of current topics, not just a list of the last posts.

Can that be done? Or is it supposed to that and something is wrong?

Todd: It is not supposed do that, its the designed behavior. smile

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Hard:
Todd: It is not supposed do that, its the designed behavior. smile

How hard would it be to alter the code to do so? I'm fairly savvy as far html/asp/vbscript/javascript, but Perl/CGi is not my forte. frown

Is it something you'd be willing to help me pursue, or do you think there is not a demand for it?

Shoot me a PM with details on what you want (much detail, i'm not very smart at figuring it out... wink ) and i'll see if i can do it.

i've got bluedomino.com has my host and they said i can't call "exec" in ssi code, but the rest of the variables should be ok, so that doesn't necessarily mean no UBB News right? i really don't no the first thing about ssi. not a damn thing. lol

my second question is...does this work with the JC Templates yet??

gost95 i am useing bluedomino.com as well and ubbnews will work for you.

but you have to call the ssi like this for it to work on bluedomino.com.
i use to use exec to call it till they moved me to a new server then the exec call would not work any more.
so i sent them an e-mail to find out what was going on and they sent me an e-mail back saying i had to use the call i posted below.

[code][/code]

but...the big question is does this work with jc templates...about a month and a half ago greg said it didn't. frown

thanks for the info though man. smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
What part interfaces with JC templates? I don't think it matters what kind of templates you use in your public forums, this doesn't touch them.

Those who don't feel like modifying your files can do like we have done since the beginning and just manually set the variables and upload the files...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[code][/code][/QB]
I keep seeing this, but it doesn't work for me. (I am using *.asp pages, and maybe that's an issue?)

The problem is, the server hits that code, and then comes back and tell me that there is no page named ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1. Which is true. only ubbnews.cgi exists. The server is interpreting the passed variables as a literal.

I "solved" this problem by using a screen scrape of the page and extracting the details I need. But if there is cleaner way to do that, I'd like to know? Thanks!

Try

and make sure your path is correct.

if its stored in /path1/path2/path3/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi make sure you put that in, even if the asp calling is in the path3 directory.

ok...maybe it's just me being an idiot, but i'm having the same issue with both this and the latest threads hack. when i install everything and then call the file with the ssi script i get nothing not even an error.

since i really don't understand how to call a script, i'll tell you what i did. i just took,

since bluedomino doesn't allow for "exec", and i pasted it in the CP under a number of different places as test to see if it would work, i.e. Footer, Header, HTML Extra, Intro Text, and so on.

am i doing that right???

gost95 for latest threads to show up you must make a post after you install it or nothing will show up.

and for UBBNews did you first go into your cp and steup the forum you would like the news to come from?

you can see both of them running very well at this site.
http://www.starbraker.com/

the page you are calling them from should be a .shtml file not a .html or a .htm.

Todd Davis that could be the prob you are haveing as well i am not really sure if you can make a ssi call from a .asp page.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I am running a couple of these on the front of my site to show latest updates in the forums (as the latest topics hack isnt available). The problem people moan about most, is that it takes a good few seconds for the page to appear because of the scripts it is running to pull that information in.. is there any way of running a timed script to pipe this info to a file, and then just include that file so it appears instantly like the old latest posts hack did?

Well I thought I did have the problem fixed, but I was wrong, does anybody know why is it that the latest post appear entirely in the front page, meaning I put a limit of 200 characters and still shows the entire topic, I tried 100 characters and still the same result, also I try this with every option and still not good. If this is the way it's supposed to work then I'll just have to deal with it, but if it can be fixed I'd love to know how :-)
I love the hack any ways.

Rabriar

I am thinking of switching to UBB.threads - are there a UBBNews for that version??

Also: I would love to have multiple HTML templates for UBBNews.

Check out our site with UBBNews installed:

http://99mac.com/nyheter.htm

(its a swedish macintosh site - in swedish)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hello martin smile

threads has a news script that comes with it, there are also quite a few nice news-type scripts for threads at www.ubbdev.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hello Greg,
Just thought I'd let you know that if HTML is enabled for a forum no tables get included in the shtml file I have. I'm using:
Code
[/code]It works fine when HTML is not enabled for a forum. As soon as I enable HTML I get a blank shtml page and I have to remove all the News Sessions, Clear Cache, Rebuild Search Index and recreate the News Sessions as well as disable HTML in the forum so that the tables start appearing again on my shtml page. 

Also for people that only have PHP extentions on their http server you can use this code in any of your php files:
[code]
Regards,
TiCaL

When I run the SSI I get this error:

Software error:
/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/vars_wordlets_mods.cgi: syntax error at /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/vars_wordlets_mods.cgi line 10, near "'time_localboard'"

Now when I delete everything in the var_wordlet_mod.cgi cept the ubbnews wordlets the hack works perfectly....

cp_ubbnews updated with a fix.

Hi Greg, I installed Ubbnews beta and also Sticky Threads hack, and I thought they would work together so that the sticky threads would be captured from ubbnews to appear them in the shtml file, but actually it doesn't. Is there in the future any chance to have this as an option in ubbnews hack (or maybe even now?)?

Thanks for your time

P.S. Your hacks are really great, keep up the good work.

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That was a bug fixed back when JB007 was coding this smile Your best bet would be to have an "announcements" forum only you can post new topics to, then pull your news from that smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sorry for getting out of topic:

Allen, how do you put images inside that, like the one in ubbdev index?

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
If I want to remove the box of "# replies | Read more..." which file should I edit?

Would anyone be so kind to link me to a working zip file of Greg's latest release of UBBNews? I've been looking all over since his site is down. Thks!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/ubbnewsbeta2.zip

- as always you can ignore the ubbintegration, upload your files and set the variables manually. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by Saxeus:
If I want to remove the box of "# replies | Read more..." which file should I edit?
the public_ubbnews.pl file smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen. smile UBBNews3 will be out when 6.4 is released.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63