Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Perl and php are both cgi, both are equally good at being fast in the hands of a good developer or slow in the hands of a poor one. There's much more to it than the name of the language.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Yeah but output to SSI included files is even faster =), screw CGI and PHP hehe j/k.

tell that to deviantart.com with the php/sql running @ like .0005sec to load a single page. tipsy (man i wish i could code like that) i like the journal entry system they have.. just a thought.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Deviantart's site has been fine tuned over a long time. That place is amazing. I love the thumbnailer they built too.

is UBB.portal FREE ? I hope that tipsy

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
The portal, when it's available will be a free addon. It is not supported by, or endorsed by Infopop. It is being put together by some people in their spare time.

hope that UBB.portal is a free software, that's a product of UBBDev.com

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Yes, it will be free. Yes, it will be a UBBDev.com "product". tipsy

when will it be out huh ? we will wait for you, but for a short time tipsy

CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
As it is a voluntary project, it'll be ready when it's ready...

Sponsored Links
In other words you won't see it for a year or so =) since the opensource place for it seems dead. Things like this rarely get done quick or well unless a set team puts some time in, often projects just die due to the admin..

Hopefully this will actually come to pass, although you might be better off just getting vBulliten =) or Delux Portal.

Let me re-word, "Hopefully this project will actually come to pass". Not that it comes to pass that it should fail =).

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I hope it doesn't take long to get a beta going. I'm not one of the talented programmers here obviously but I know that we have some real talent here.

I recommend to you:
http://www.web-app.org/ <--web-app cgi portal
http://www.ihs-squad.com/html/ <--- web-app & UBB

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by tyfa:

If that's a UBB then where is the copyright and why does is look "off"?

Just looks like limited a CGI clone of PHP Nuke with a UBB Forum, yet the forum isn't actually integrated as a portal, it's separate.

quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
quote:
[qb]Originally posted by tyfa:

[/qb]
If that's a UBB then where is the copyright and why does is look "off"?
http://www.ihs-squad.com/html/ hey you look over !

lets hope it works for ubb 6.3.0 when it does go into beta tipsy

Quick Search should be added on this board! Hehehehe just because its my first modification! I´m working on other modification now!

PS: I just make cosmetic/visual Mods, I not good scripter!

See ya!

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
The right sidebar of this board has "Search this forum" smile

IS THIS GOING TO BE SOMETHING LIKE PHP NUKE ...

IS THERE A SITE OUT THERE WERE I CAN GET SOMETHING LIKE PHP NUKE BUT IN CGI

It's called UBB. wink

There is a strong interest for an "all in one" site/board system although even that will take time and effort. I don't know what's happening with a portal in the "official" sense of the word, but there are members here who are working on projects that will intergrate UBB with their site (PHP or Perl).

Members such as Paulus and Sub Zero have successfully intergrated the UBB logins with their PHP site, something that many had thought were not possible. Another member Bookie is working on a .cgi-type home page based on the UBB file structure. There are others out here too who are working on projects...

You might want to stick around a while. smile

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by under2003:
IS THIS GOING TO BE SOMETHING LIKE PHP NUKE ...

IS THERE A SITE OUT THERE WERE I CAN GET SOMETHING LIKE PHP NUKE BUT IN CGI
http://www.web-app.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'd reccommend searching Google (or yahoo) for Perl Content Management System (or Perl CMS).

For note, don't use PHPNuke, its a resource drain compaired to PostNuke.

PrimeTime: if you were using say UBB.Threads you could customize a MySQL/PHP (php can be replaced with whatever web language you wish so long as you know the mysql calls) and customize a CMS to use the member system.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by Gizzy:

PrimeTime: if you were using say UBB.Threads you could customize a MySQL/PHP (php can be replaced with whatever web language you wish so long as you know the mysql calls) and customize a CMS to use the member system.
True...I've thought about that option since last year. smile

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
If you want to see a great php CMS visit e107.org

That is kinda cool...Something to shoot for. I think if anything we'll do the hard coding ourselves. My main goal is to intergrate the members info with the site...Although we have a minor setback with that.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
it looks nice, but arrghhgh it's slow tipsy maybe it's just busy right now smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I was thinking the same thing since right now my site is acting sluggish too. I guess I'm not the only one.

quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
If you want to see a great php CMS visit e107.org
http://www.e107.org/

This is nice. I like their link directory.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'm the Director of Operations for JavaNuke, a Java based CMS smile ... Our first version actually will be released within the next few months for anyone that cares :x... http://www.javanuke.com/ for those who wish to read up on the project (not much up right now).

For a PHP CMS I prefer PostNuke since PHPNuke can be a resource drain, some hosts actually won't allow PHPNuke (which kind of sucks) because of its resource waste.

anyway thats my two cents wink ...

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I love postnuke and I was a very active member over there. I also went through a few versions of the DuskyBlue system all the way up to the latest Envolution. The Xaraya project (if it ever happens) may be an awesome template engine but the focus seems to have been lost when the big postnuke split happened. It was ugly.

There are so many systems out there, and most of them have so many functions that most people don't need that they're turning into bloatware. e107 is a very thin system and runs well on most any virtual host.

When I built my personal site I went through literally 50 different systems before deciding to use pMachine. It's a blogging system on steroids. I don't need forums on that site and I turned off registration because it doesn't need member functions.

*gets back on topic*

I think my needs for a UBB portal are nowhere near the typical CMS. I would like to have a dynamic "homepage" (calendar, latest threads, blah blah blah) and user/group level access to the site based on the UBB members files. I've seen pages done by LK in the past that were near perfect and I'm sure that something like this would be easy for a guru like him or CC. I know that I could learn it myself given time but I have a 9 month project start in a matter of days that coincides with a new server product that is going gold in 51 days. I just want to be the typical UBB user that opens up an editor and installs the great stuff that the devs here produce. This is the kind of thing that will help keep the UBB community alive.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'm actually going to be drawing up a ubb summary page for my main site at http://www.undergroundnews.com/ for the whole site when our new design is completed. It'l basically be php based and will call data from the content islands (and if i can ever get the calendar to work on the 6.5 install to work i'll have the calendar running).

I'll get to it eventually, but it'll be a pain to find time to do it :x...

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Time is a killer right now. Thankfully I have to be on a computer most of the day and I need to have an outlet like Netwerkin or UBBDev to keep my sanity.

Haha, I had so many windows open earlier this morning that I ran out of memory and started paging like mad...I have 1.5 gig of PC-2700 DDR333 in this box with a 2 gig proc. The page file is 3 gig on a 10,000 rpm Ultra3 SCSI drive...

I guess I could be guilty of abuse but I need to run a lot of stuff. (it was probably because I had sim city 4 running in the background..shhh)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
lol nice system smile . If I had the time I'd do it now, but I'm self employeed and usually swamped between moderating at a few differant sites, working as the Director of Operations at both JavaSpot Services and JavaNuke (cms system) plus web shops lol... If only i could find someone who wanted to trade services lol...

The page wouldn't be too difficult to draw up, if you wanted it like ubbdev you'd need 3 rows (minimum, includes the header, footer, and the third for data). In the data cell you'd need to have 3 colums (right sidebar, left sidebar, center for news or whatever you'd like).

I'd use php includes to call the data that i needed for the sidebar's from content islands (latest posts wherever, recent visitors, etc).

It doesn't seem too difficult but then again i sit and play with php for fun :x...

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
The page layout is easy, it's the authentication (done safely) that I have the hardest time with. Calling ssi is a breeze, and the content islands are simple enough. I would prefer that the page be cgi and called like any other UBB page. That way it gets the styles, the security and all the other benefits. A UBB portal should be part of the UBB.

Click me and you can see my postnuke project. My theme has been showing up a lot since I released it at the postnuke themes site. I would love to merge UBB with it but that's not going to happen so I would like an all UBB portal. I am probable going to delete that postnuke install because it really isn't serving any purpose other than teaching me php.

Any thoughts on a .cgi portal called as ?ubb=portal?

Hey...Is that a new Postnuke design? I don't think I've seen that one yet. I've always loved grey-theme boards.

This weekend I'll experiment again with the .cgi page. I've been looking at some of the hacks that insert extra .pl and .cgi files and see some of the common codes. Because I'm not a Perl coder I'll just have to go about it trial and error.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63