Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am very new to this, please don't get upset if this question has already been answered somewhere.
I am interested in using UBB.classic 6.5.0 and I was told that I cannot use php-nuke as a portal, is this true? And,if so, what portal can I use?
Thanks
help

Sponsored Links
WC Offline
From what I understand the only forum software you can use with php nuke is phpbb. As for the second question I haven't come across any portal software that works with UBB so Im interested in this as well

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You might check with JC over at www.ubbdesign.com - he's ported ubb.classic and ubb.threads to use nuke as a front end. We're using something written specifically for ubb.threads at www.ubbdev.com that is real nice and easy to setup as well. There's content islands available to do 90% of what portals do in the base code for ubb.classic smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
You might check with JC over at www.ubbdesign.com - he's ported ubb.classic and ubb.threads to use nuke as a front end. We're using something written specifically for ubb.threads at www.ubbdev.com that is real nice and easy to setup as well. There's content islands available to do 90% of what portals do in the base code for ubb.classic smile
Thanks for your quick reply. I will check into those sites.

JC's php "portal" is not integrated with the UBB, if I'm not mistaken.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
If I'm not mistaken, JC's PHP page is JCDex for threads.

I've been developing a PHP based site that uses my UBB's member base for authentication. It isn't quite ready for public release, as it still has a number of bugs and quirks. It uses content islands, the PHP login code I posted, UBBnews.php which I posted, and a few other things that I custom wrote for my site.

As of right now, it seems the best way to do a portal for UBB.classic is to write something in Perl or PHP custom or you could try the ubb_portal.pl that was written. If you are looking for some of the features of PHPNuke or PostNuke, you might want to consider developing your own or hacking the portal software which is a challenge smile

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Yes, you can use php nuke as a portal for UBB.classic. But the question is, do you have the knowledge and time to do it. It would require massive modding of the UBB or php nuke in order to integrate the two. You would either have to modify the php nuke code so it uses a flat file system based off of your member files from UBB, or modify your UBB to use the php nuke members table from the database. Doing either of these is probably not worth it as it would take rediculous amounts of time. Like Sub Zero said, if you know a good amount about UBB, you could develop your own portal which would be much easier than modding the member systems of one of the scripts.

I would recommend you just stick with the content islands, or else try out the ubb_portal.pl.

"Portal"...Now that is something I haven't heard for a while. I guess partially that's my bad. laugh [Linked Image]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
mmmm hmmm tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
I have one... tipsy

Haven't updated it to 6.5 though, seeing how my site has had some serious downtime.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I have one...if it qualifies as a portal laugh

Hehe, Sub. I'm still stuck on one thing (although I haven't touched it for a while). Ahh well...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63