Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207085 12/20/2000 10:32 AM
MTO
Addict
Addict
I want to use a better w3tnews type of script. One more complicated.
Take a look here to see the kind of thing I am thinking of. I think most of you would like something like this as well. It could be done with the w3tnews but wouldnt that require one w3tnews file for every single post news and lots more server load? Not sure... I´d like your comments on it.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
I would certainly want that feature!!
If scream cannot do it soon, can someone else do it as a hack? We will love you!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i think tha the only way to do that would to have different w3tnews. and just do an include. unless you could do a select subject, body from phpcustomizing, generalnews but i don't think so. anyways it looks like a winner

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org/index

User
User
I am working on something that takes news headlines from different boards within the same category - but I want it to take the last x news items from any of several 'News' category boards. But I was thinking of something along the lines you are looking for. Are you wanting to be selective about the categories at run time in particular? If you don't mind editing the php to specify the categories you want to take the top item from it should be reasonably trivial to create an SQL statement to take 'latest message from each board in the stipulated categories'.

I'm not sure that I need quite what you're looking for (I probably want the top story from each board in a single category, with a different category on different web pages) but if I do I will be trying to do it this weekend and will post it (ie the SQL - you will want to format the output) here if I do.

Jock

MTO
Addict
Addict
I think I somewhat missed this post. Actually, I read it after you posted it, but at 7:30am without any sleep yet! work, work, work... []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/] so I was so tired I didnt reply at the time and didnt remember till now.

Your project seems great to me, so I (and some others I am sure..) would love to see what you come up with. Personally I dont think it would be too much trouble to edit the php to specify the categories... I did start working on this whole thing when I first brought this subject up, a month ago or more? But I got into so much work on other things that I had to put it back for latter... right now I dont even know where was that php I was working on... I do remember a computer "freeze-shutdown" when working on it, so I wonder if thats why I cant find it... []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/].
Anyway, anything you come up with in this line would be really appreciated, I am sure. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
User
User
I have something already that is a little similar on my site.

http://www.fatdogexchange.com/site_news.htm

If you want I could probably knock up a version of what you want, or if what I have is OK I can send you the source. Or you rally have to do is paste in the current w3t news and edit the code a little to get whatever look you want or data.

I know mine doesn't look great but I not really a graphics guy just a programmer.

Dan

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Whow! Yes, great,
could you donnate this code to the forum here?
I would be very thankful for this.

Carl
http://212.227.201.213/php/forum/wwwthreads.php

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63