Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208388 02/14/2001 7:06 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi, I successfully installed that PHP-Version... Great. http://212.227.201.213/php/forum/wwwthreads.php?Cat= Some issues: IE4.5/Mac does not allign the collums on that page (see link above) (IE5 and NS4.7 MAC do) 1. When I change the language and get returned to the EDIT profile page, the language change is not recognized yet. I have to go to FORUM INDEX to make that happen. Confusing, I think. (I think to remember that's the same problem with changing stylesheets: the User gets irritated that a change didn't work...?) I found out when entering my page unregistered (wwwthreads.php), that a previously set Language/Styesheet cookie is not recognized. Then, without logging in, just going to another page (maybe inside a forum) I am suddenly recognized with name, style and language. Why that? 2. Suggestion: If the FAQ would not be PHP but HTML, it would be much easier to make changes in with my Standard Editor (golive5). I don't see the need for PHP there.... 3. After my first perl installation went wrong, and I am now using PHP, there is a small problem now: I habe the 4 Standard "Groups" double in the list. Is there a PHP command to kill these double names, and which are to kill? On SHOWGROUPS.PHP the number of Groups are shown correctly but on admin/viewboard.php the Error occurs. 4. By the way: How comes, that ADMIN can be deselected as READ/WRITE to a group? Should not he always see and be able to write to all Forums? And moderators: I want to have moderators for individual categories, where they have all rights. But Modertator A for Categorie A should not necessarely also have all rights on categoriy B ... (Actually it should be possible to hide Forum B from a moderator A but not from Moderator B?) Complicated? smile 5. I want the dates displayed the standard European Format: DD/MM/YYYY 13:24 do I need to hack it, or is this possible already? Whow, long text! Thanks for reading. smile Carl

Sponsored Links
rodrigo1 #208389 02/14/2001 7:08 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry this text was nicely layouted and ok on preview. What a mess now, Reads very cryptic frown (Written with IE5/MAC)

Guru
Guru
The columns on the main wwwthreads page are misaligned when the forums are new, it's a table size bug that I'm not exactly able to track down but it goes away when each board has a post in it.

Language preferences are set by cookies. When you edit your profile the cookie is sent with the header information. You can't retrieve the cookie until the next load of a page, so you still get the old language until you hit another page so it can grab the updated cookie.

If you go to a forum via a bookmark or sometimes even an email link it will try to load the page from your cache and it will not think you are logged in until you hit a link and actually go through the authentication routine properly.

The FAQ needs PHP because it changes depending on some config options. Like if you have images allowed, polls turned on, file attachments turned on, etc.

To delete the double groups you will need to use a direct mysql command like DELETE FROM w3t_Groups WHERE G_Id > 4.

On some large scale forums you may need to give users Admin privs but not for all forums. The Read/Write permissions are editable for the admin just as a flexibility option. I don't want to limit what you can and cannot do with your users.

You can't assign moderators to a category, but you can assign them to individual forums. So, you can pretty much configure your moderator privileges however you need to.

To do a date listing of DD/MM/YYYY 13:24 you would probably need to set your $config['timeformat'] to short4 in config.inc.php and then edit main.inc.php about line 618 where it looks like this:

$time = date("Y/m/d H:i", $time);

Just change that, to this:

$time = date("d/m/Y H:i", $time);

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #208391 02/15/2001 5:35 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Scream, thanks for your quick and competent reply. Cookies: If you would put META Tags in to clear the cache of a) the Forum's Main page andd the EDIT config's main page, the problem with the cookies not beein accessed when the page is read from the cache would be gone for those browsers that accept those META commands. ALso, changing LANGUAGE and SKIN might open a Javascript POPUP with the message: these changes have no effect until you reload the following page..... Or better: On "Edit-Environment"page/ ACCEPT button pressing, the User is put to a fresh page (which is not in the browsers cache wink that loads the new cookies and redirects then back to the main CONFIG PREFERENCES page - WOuldn't that be cool? If you don't include it, I do it as a hack :))) Cookies, one more point: 1. I go on a page and I am still unregistered. (For example I use the eMail-link from the "You got a reply on your post"-Mail) -its hard for a Newbie User to realize that he cannot reply because he is not logged in. There is simply no reply button. Here something like "For a reply, you need to log in" message should be better, instead of just no button. 2. Registering is also a problem: You are on such a page under conditions as described above, find out you need to register and are guided to the REGISTER page... You register and then are on the LOGIN/Private mail Main page.... Then you wonder hoe you come back to that specific page where you came from and where you wanted to reply to a mail... Suggestion: a. Reply button is ALWAYS visible. b. In case you need to register previously to replying, hitting Reply sets a cookie about this page, then brings you to the INPUT password field. c. Because a cookie was set, the LOGIN/Private mail Main page has another button: Jump pack to the MESSAGE you wanted to comment on last. d. Hitting this button (A). deletes the cookie and (B) brings you to the EDIT MESSAGE window of the specific message... WOuldn't that be extremely conveniant for users? (Thats how the Forum at ADOBE.COM works) Carl

I'm having an additional problem, which may be related. I cannot get my changes to the groups to take effect. In fact, if I make ANY change to either the groups a user is part of, or the group read/write priviledges for individual boards, ALL the options are erased - the user is removed from all groups, and noone at all is allowed read/write privileges for the board. (this was happening before I issued the DELETE FROM command)

I did the DELETE FROM fix detailed in this thread, and it removed all the groups except "user" (from the "rename groups" screen and "assign user to group" screen). The read/write privileges screens, however, keep showing the admin/moderator/users/guests groups. I'm assuming that these are system-level groups that you can't mess with (which I like).

Mine is a fresh install from the 5.1.6 files - I uploaded to a different directory from where I had my demo files (although the database is the same one I used in the demo).

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Hmm. Can you take a look at your w3t_Groups table and tell me what groups you have in there along with their corresponding #. You can do this with a direct mysql query like:

SELECT * FROM w3t_Groups;

UBB.threads Developer
Thank you for the fast reply - and thanks for listing the command as well. :-)

Here's the info:

mysql> SELECT * FROM w3t_Groups;
+----------------+------+
| G_Name | G_Id |
| Administrators | 1 |
| Moderators | 2 |
| Users | 3 |
| Guests | 4 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Off the top of your head, do you know the mysql command to slick the database of all data/tables/etc. and start over? (I picked up a PHP book yesterday, but I guess I need to go back for a MYSQL one - heh heh) I think doing this might help the troubleshooting process.

Guru
Guru
Well, your groups table definitely looks ok, so there is nothing wrong with that portion of it.

How about this one:

SELECT Bo_Keyword,Bo_Read_Perm,Bo_Write_Perm FROM w3t_Boards;

As for deleting all data from the tables, I'm not aware of a one shot command to do all at once. You would need to one table at a time (But you wouldn't want to do the w3t_Groups table because that one needs some prepopulated data).

There are 2 ways to do this, one is to download a database manager like mysqlman or phpmyadmin. This would allow you to have an online editor for your database and clear out the necessary tables.

The other way would be to do it by hand. Get a list of your tables by doing this:

SHOW TABLES;

And then one by one, exclude the w3t_Groups table, you would do this:

DELETE FROM tablename;

UBB.threads Developer
Here's the requested data:

mysql> SELECT Bo_Keyword,Bo_Read_Perm,Bo_Write_Perm FROM w3t_Boards;
+------------+--------------+---------------+
| Bo_Keyword | Bo_Read_Perm | Bo_Write_Perm |
| discussion | - | - |
| tips | -3-4- | - |
| spanish | -3-4- | - |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Thanks again,
John

Okay. I started over. I dropped all the tables from the database, then ran the createtable.php script. I then added two users, and one discussion board.

1. When I go to the "rename group" admin function, it does not list any groups in the pull-down menu. (which is correct - before I was getting the phantom "users" group here).

2. When I go to the "change user's group" option, only the "user" group is shown. The box is checked by default. I unselect it, then reselect it, then click "submit". After the change has been made (which is really "no change"), I go back and refesh that page. Even though I had the box selected when I clicked "submit", the group is now unselected, and there's no way to make the change back to selected hold.

3. When I go to "change a board's read groups", I have four groups to select from - admin/moderator/user/guest. This seems correct. But if I make and save any changes, all the boxes get turned off for that board - so noone is allowed access to it. :-)

4. Perhaps something related - I go into the private message and try to delete the "welcome" message by clicking the "delete" checkbox to the right. Clicking the "delete checked" button will refresh the page - but the message is still there, and the delete checkbox is again turned off. Maybe there's a connection between the problems and the checkboxes?

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
It almost sounds like your HTTP_POST_VARS are not being carried over from script to script. All of the areas that you are mentioning use a direct reference to the $HTTP_POST_VARS array and it seems yours is coming up empty. Is there anything special with your php configuration that you are aware of in this area?

UBB.threads Developer
Many thanks again for all the help. I just heard back from my ISP. Apparently I'm on the server that has PHP 3 installed. They're moving me tonight over to the PSP 4 server. I'll let you know how that goes - one way or the other.

Thanks again for all your help.

John

My ISP moved me from their PHP3 server to the one with PHP4 installed, and it fixed all the problems I was having with the checkboxes not saving their changes. I can now successfully change the read/write groups for the boards, and selecting the "delete" checkbox for private messages will actually delete them. Thanks again for your help!

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63