Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
I get this error when trying to enter the admin section:

Parse error: parse error, expecting `','' or `';'' in /home/sweetle/public_html/wwwthreads/admin/login.php on line 33

line 33:
echo <<<EOF

Is this a PHP version problem? Currently using PHP 3.0.9

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Yes, this seems to be related to the version of PHP. It seems the older 3.x versions of PHP do not support the <<

UBB.threads Developer
User
User
I'm using a virtual server that has the following PHP packages:

PHP 4.0.3pl1 is currently installed as a CGI binary, while PHP 3.0.9 is compiled into Apache. Below are the paths to PHP version 4.0.3pl1:

/usr/bin/php4

I assume the php for apache can be upgraded, so I sent in a request for that. Do not know how long this may take. So in the meantime, is there an easy way to include the php4 path in the config or main?

User
User
I'm new to all this, so if this sounds really whacked just let me know.

My virtual server is running PHP4 as a binary. So, from what I understand I'd have to change php extensions to cgi...

Would it be possible to change the config.inc.php to a cgi and add #!/usr/bin/php4 to the top. Then of course change the references to config in the appropriate files (main)?

I get the feeling from my provider that they are reluctant to upgrade the apache module to PHP4. They haven't said this straight out, but, just seems that way. Does anyone know why?

Journeyman
Journeyman
In the directory you installed the PHP package create a .htaccess file and in it put:

AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .php

Then add

#!/usr/bin/php4

to the top of each script except the include files. This will make the cgi version of PHP run the scripts.

Scream, heredoc is a pain and is only supported in PHP4. You'll probably get a ton of bug reports pertaining to it.
There are still many hosting companies that still don't have PHP4 installed and some have no plans to change. You should consider a PHP3 version for those people.
Bob

[b]Extreme VB Forums -[/b] Visual Basic Help

Sponsored Links
User
User
My provider indicated that they won't be upgrading till PHP 4.1 is out. They say there are some security issues that need resolved.

So I will attempt your 'work-around'. And I can see I'll have to deal with file/directory permissions now. Oh well. 755 for everything you think?

Thanks for your help.

User
User
Thanks Bob. Your solution worked and I didn't have any file/directory permission problems like I thought I would.

Since the problem seemed to exist only for admin functions, I just put the .htaccess in the admin directory and edited those files...saved me some time in editing all of them.

Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63