Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
I'd like to add functionality to the footer of a page. I've hacked around so that the footer includes (mostly - with a coule of glitches still) a menu down the right side of the main screen, but I want to put the login box and other functionality in there that depends on it knowing some of the variables available to the rest of the main script. How do I do this - can I just restart the session to get w3t_myname & w3t_mypass (I think probably the only things I really need to capture).

If you don't understand what I mean you can have a look at:

[url]http://test.olddenstonians.org.uk/wwwthreads.php[url]

and have a look at the layout and I think you'll get the idea of what I'm trying to achive. But the login box should disappear when someone is logged in and instead display the ten most recently registered users, but it never recognises that I'm logged in, which I presume is because it cannot get $w3t_myname

Last edited by Jockox3; 08/28/2001 7:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
User
User
I ought to attach the modified footer.php file so people can take a look at the code.
Attachments
40855-footer.php (0 Bytes, 30 downloads)

User
User
No need - sorted it. Defining w3t_myname etc as global in send_footer()

charliebrown #211590 08/28/2001 4:23 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Are you going to post the hack for the benefit of others? (e.g., source code)

Assume we are all 6 years old, and furthermore, that we barely know how to use our browsers.

+++ Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? +++
Jeremy Harmon #211591 08/28/2001 8:18 PM
User
User
Hmmm...might be difficult. I am beginning to get away from core w3t and into a bespoke solution, perhaps. The basics of the hack - getting a navigation menu down either side are simple enough and if that would do, I can easily post that. But I am still having some problems even with that (showthreaded.php somehow breaks out of a table unexpectedly and ruins your footer.php for example).

I am doing it in quite a hurry as well, so not particularly taking too much care about being able to separate it from core w3t code (I know well enough the implcations for subsequent upgrading..:-(). So what I would say is that when I have a 'product' to view, I will then go over what I have done and document it properly and see if it's something that could be incorporated as a 'hack' or whether it's a bit more than that. My intial reaction is that it is possible to integrate it, since I have seen another product that does it quite well (developer.ez.no - EzPublish).

But I have now got some real functionality into the 'footer' (really a side bar - for example the login/register boxes, and a list of recently registered users and so on). But it might be a few weeks if that's okay.

Sponsored Links
charliebrown #211592 08/28/2001 11:08 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I only asked because I thought maybe there was something new and interesting posted here that I might be able to use, but instead I find this thread where some bloke is having a public conversation with himself . . . []/testimages/icons/shocked.gif[/]

+++ Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? +++
User
User
Naaa...I sorted it with help from the DevShed PHP forums but when i got back here I could no longer edit/delete the message, so posted something to tell people not to worry. Fair enough I think. Saves your grey matter the effort!

You can still check out the site to see what I've been up to though and see if it would be useful. I don't particularly mind going off at a tangent to w3t if necessary, but if others are going to find it useful I would put in the effort to try to make sure the hacks are integrated properly with the standard code.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63