Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Now I want to preface this by saying I did NOT write the base version of this calendar. I set it up - it worked, so I went about hacking, rehacking, and deleting, and rewriting many pieces of this thing to get it to work the way I wanted.

[:red] PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A USER NAME [/] - it is not needed to play with this test version of the calendar. I have this calendar open to anyone wanting to screw with it...you can add and delete items. The stylesheet is the base sheet for my board...

http://www.bladekeep.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

That URL goes to a TEST copy - it is not the live version I am running (that is locked away to members)

Features:

- This is standalone from ubbthreads, and requires only ONE change in your ubbt_inc.php (a link to the calendar)
- Should be installed in the ubb directory (ie /ubb/calendar/FILES)
- The version I am running is locked down to members. You input the NAME of the board you want associated with the calendar (mine is "members") and anyone who has read access to that board has access to read the calendar. Otherwise they get the unauthorized page...
- The way it is hard-coded, only Administrators and Moderators have access to WRITE to the calendar.

Other Features:

- I took out the Event "end time" - as it got in my way...but it is there to use.
- The event data all writes to a SEPARATE table in your setup (my table is named ssb_events) - but this table does reside in your UBBTHREADS database (you need to create it).
- Calendar does read the stylesheet the forum member has selected, and uses it. Requires you to add one or two styles into your stylesheet.

I didn't know if anyone would care...figured I would toss this out here. Max Fisch's calendar is much cooler if you ask me...the only downside is that you cannot upgrade UBBTHREADS and keep your calendar intact.

With this little calendar, I can upgrade my UBBThreads and the calendar is not touched...nor does the calendar encroach on any UBBTheads files. The ONLY UBB file I changed was the ubbt_inc.php - and that was to include a link in the HEADER of each page...(as you can see on the test calendar).

Anyone has any questions or comments let me know...will answer what I can.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice work Medar, thanks for sharing []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

I cannot think of questions as of yet, but I am sure others will be along shortly []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
User
User
looks great so far, will come up with some questions later on
great job man!
luke01

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes this is the bomb! Considering that I agree with you on Max's calendar and it's use, it is deeply tied in to UB²T, which is a downfall considering the new release coming out. Looks like I will be downloading this, installing, and removing my old calendar I had set up. Thanks! []/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/]

i run sdstreetracing.com and streetracing.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
That actually looks really good. You seem to have addressed the main concern that I had with Max's hack which was the extensive modification to the UBBThreads files. I was really reluctant to install the hack because of the pending new release. By making it a separate add-in, I'm much more comfortable adding it to my board. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Now, if we can just get Dave to tie his IIP into it. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Any idea on when we can actually download the files?

Sponsored Links
bmh Offline
Power User
Power User
Cool Medar ,
just asking about the attachment ?? are u going to attach this hack here or just to give as idea about what u have []/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/]

hope i can get copy of that file ... it will be kind of u ...

thanks alot for great works
BMH

Working on a simple README and will drop the files in as soon as I am done.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GREAT JOB

Comments:

1/ Bug: Me as a non member and without write access: I could delete an entry with "delete" in the popup window. I believe this to be an error.

2/ Suggestion: Is it possible to have a birthday entry field in the user profiles that is automatically inserted in the calendar?

PS: Whow, do you mind me using your leaves background for my own board from within some stylesheet?
[]/forum/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/]

Last edited by caymuc; 04/12/2002 3:22 AM.
OK, finally finished a quick and convoluted README - and linked the download to my signature here.

Caymuc:

1. You are correct, I really dumbed down the test version...anyone could get in there and do anything. Normally (and with the downloadable version), only Moderators or Administrators can WRITE. Read access depends on what board you tie the calendar into...

2. Birthday entries...not at this time. Reason being? This is completely separate from UBBTHREADS (it creates one table for the calendar data)...and therefore does not read profile data. It might be hacked to do so...it's an interesting thought!

This thing is very basic - I am not a php programmer...I just have the talent to be able to read something and figure out how to change it. Hence this addon, heh! So anyone that has any improvements or ideas, I would love to incorporate them.

Leaves? Use em!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi,

I prefer this calender layout but I could not get your hack working. During the query an error is detected. (It is the error on line 60 of classes.php).

Maybe the problem is that there is a search for "type" but a "type"field has not been installed by the install.php previopusly... Just guessing.

I also found code that uses $user[U_Status] inbstead of $user['U_Status'] - but I don't know whether that is an error. I just noticed that Scream had changed that in his scripts.

Anyway, I am wondering whether anybody got that script working.

Sponsored Links
Let me check that out...I modified the thing quite a bit... []/forum/images/icons/blush.gif[/]

Sorry Carl - I fixed the install script to include the TYPE field and properties. You might want to try it again if you are still interested.

In terms of line 60 - it is reading the config.php on that line and looking for db_type = 1 (which means this is a MySQL database). If it does not find that...it could error. Let me know if that is still occurring.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks fo the update... TYPE is in now.

But the error still occurs.

I think that the error means, the Database check was positive (MySQL) but the $select string produced an error.

I wonder why it works with your calender, not mine...

(see the error on our forum, follow the link below.
To see what error it is, I gave them numers. This one is No 3 []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/] )

Greetings from Berlin

User
User
I still get the error as well.

Hmm...not sure. My version is now disabled due to Version 6...so I am working on a fix for that.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Cool. Thank you,
I think you hack is a great concept and
I would love to be able to use it.

OK...version 6.0 and the new authentication threw me for a small loop until I figured it out, but I "think" this should now work.

Items I removed but are fairly easy to hack out:
1. Calendar not tied to a specific board KEYWORD. This was causing confusion and a few redundant queries. Which means the calendar is publically viewable (most people wanted it that way)
2. TYPE field has been removed...it is pretty easy to add/remove fields, and this is a field I had added for my personal use. Most did not need it.

I linked this little calendar add-on in my signature...please give me a shout if you download and install it, would love to hear any issues, or that you have it working

Veteran
Veteran
Nice work.

Just downloaded this to take a look, but hgave one question...

What is the $config['db_table'] ??

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
It allows you to name the table anything you would like (I named mine ssb_calendar)...you could essentially stick with the UBB Theme and name your table w3t_calendar.

Need to name it before running install.php though!

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks.

Can I suggest a few comment tags in the config.php file to assist others.

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Probably needed, yap. Will do so.

Just did, heh...have not tried the config.php file with the comments added in, but it should work. Just slashed // the comments out.

On another note...I never thought about tying in the basic configs to main.inc.php and ubbt.inc.php - but I suppose this is possible. Will probably do this in the next week or so.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Looking good Medar

Tying the basic config into the main and ubbt .inc's should save you some support questions too

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63