Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I and my moderators loved the feature of UBB.Classic in which one could specify that the text of all new posts would be immediately emailed to the moderator(s) of the forum.

Is there an existing way to do this, or can someone point me to the files that need modifying? The email notifications were great, we really miss them.

Helice

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
You can already notify a moderator about any post, and it will get emailed to him.
Check the post options below.

Hi Mateo,

The feature I was speaking of is not the "Notify Moderator of this post" button. That is for users to notify the moderator of a problem with the post.

In UBB.Classic all posts can be automatically emailed to the moderator(s) of the forum at the time they are posted, so that moderators get an instant email notification with every post.

This is extremely useful to us because we have a busy message board which we moderate to keep family-safe. Instant email notification to the moderators enabled us to instantly react to inappropriate messages on our family-safe site.

It is not practical to place posts in a queue for approval because it would require constant sitting and refreshing of the page to see whn a post needed to be released, so we really would like the email notification feature in .threads.

Possibly a modification of the feature that emails replies to the poster can be fixed up to email all replies to moderators?

Actually, I looked through the code, and even through I'm brand new to PHP I was able to figure out the routines I needed here and there. I did a little cut & paste of Rick's code, modified at my own peril, and I now have a working version of addnewpost.php that sends an email notification to the moderators of a forum whenever a post is made.

It's not exactly a real "hack", since I didn't write anything new, but if anyone wants it, let me know. It's a single code block that gets pasted in, no other changes.

Maybe now I'll go about trying to make it configurable in the Admin section.

Helice -- http://forum.foolmoon.com

Veteran
Veteran
If it makes a difference, then it might be worth putting it into a new thread on the V6 Beta Modifications Forum.

Perhaps someone might then pick up the idea, and develop it further (if it even needs it).

Looking foward to seeing it.

Regards,

Ian.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
we are trying to get the users to post code in new topics in the modification forum

you can set your forums so that moderators/admins have to approve of all posts to their forums, I am not sure of they are notified via email of new posts, that would need to be a question for longer-time threads users/ Rick

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Writes Fool_Moon:
In UBB.Classic all posts can be automatically emailed to the moderator(s) of the forum at the time they are posted, so that moderators get an instant email notification with every post.
Just popped in....I work with that Extreme Bikini guy!! Not sure if he has touched base on this issue...but for us, this is one of the VITAL features we need before we can make the move to Threads! I'd like to see your code if you don't mind.

Hi!

Okay, I am attaching the little code snippet that I'm using. I hope you find it helpful.

In return, perhaps you can share with us how you are allowing paid access to some of your boards and not others? I'd like to do something like that on my site.

Helice
http://foolmoon.com
Attachments
50103-email-mods-snippet.txt (0 Bytes, 34 downloads)

Writes Fool_Moon:
Hi!

Okay, I am attaching the little code snippet that I'm using. I hope you find it helpful.

In return, perhaps you can share with us how you are allowing paid access to some of your boards and not others? I'd like to do something like that on my site.
Thanks for that....I have it filed away nice and safe!!

Paid access?? I'm not too sure I follow you. We have a couple forums where we restrict posting/access to board sponsors, and then there are some features we have limited to only club members. Extreme Bikini and I did a BUNCH of modifications to the code...using Jimbo's Custom Title hack...basically making certain features visible ONLY to people configured as Club Members.

Is that what you are talking about? To be more precise...we have hacked in the Attachment hack, but I modified it so it didn't add the attachment onto the post. I didn't really like that it wasn't very flexible, so I changed it to just allow them to upload an image, and then I added a new UBB Code so they didn't need to know ANYTHING except the name of the image (and they could check by viewing the contents of their personal folder). THIS feature (the links appear under the Password texybox) is only visible to members I have put on the list. To all others it is invisible.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
You could control "paid access" by using groups. Create a group, call it "paid members" and set specific boards to allow only the "paid members" group access to such boards and anyone that's not in the "paid members" group will not see them.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Wouldn't it just be easier to:

Make sure the cron scripts are running.
Have your moderators subscribe to the forum

?

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Veteran
Veteran
True - but this would only mail out once a day - whereas UBB's method is to email out as soon as the post has been made.

If it is a case of keeping an eye on a forum, and replying to posts, the more instant method would be preferable.

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Coming late to this thread....

"me too" on this suggestion. Plus there should be a way to configure in "Admin" who gets emailed postings of which boards (so the moderator of Board X receives emailed postings only of that board...or all boards...or any combo).

Really busy sites need realtime emailing of posts to moderators; there's no other way to catch nasty stuff effectively in real time (except by making the board "approve to post", which uses just HATE).

JIM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63