Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Has there been a hack for this already? I used to have an older version of UBB (classic) which had it, and wonder why they took this out of the basic functionality of UBB.threads .

This would need to be configurable by the users, like on the newpost.php and other pages where you would want to 'turn it off' while posting or replying.

Probably just adding a radio button down by the 'I want to preview my post and/or attach a file" section would work great!

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
The control for turning on/off signature is a global one. You choose to see signatures or not. Its in the Display preferences at My Home:
[:"blue"] Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts? on/off [/]

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I want each user to have the option to turn it off for each post. That is how it used to be.

Addict
Addict
posted by Aglavalin:
I want each user to have the option to turn it off for each post. That is how it used to be.

Just saw this thread, that was what I was getting at in my other post in here, is an option for the users to not display the sig on a per post basis.

User
User
It would be great if it were like the old UBB, where a poster would not have the signature automatically inserted in each post.
Before converting to Threads 6.0.1, we had an understood rule in our forums, http://www.mallofthesims.com/clubmots/ubbthreads.php , to not post a signature more than once per topic. Having signatures in every post by the same person just causes unnecessary scrolling. This rule was pretty much thrown out the window upon converting.
Many of the members of the forum, God love them, are reducing the sizes of the images being used in signatures to help some.
I've personally resorted to removing my own signature from my profile and saving it as a text file so I can just paste it into my post when I want to use it.

We like the signatures, just not forced and repeated signatures.

-Marty
Club MOTS General Manager
Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
In the old system signatures became part of the post itself. That is, it was added to the post, if you had 2000 posts, then it was repeated 2000 times in the database. Also, if as you say your users have images in their signatures, when the image no longer exists, is broken, etc., all those posts always showed as broken. You updated your signature but the old one still remained.

This way that doesnt happen. But yes, maybe having an option to display or not would be possible, though it would need an extra call to the database to see if it should display or not, for every single post.

In my opinion, it just seems to me your users are not using signatures appropiately. One or two lines is fine, encourage short signatures, edit those that have medium to big picture sizes... Uff, just visited your boards, mrnocal, no wonder you are requesting this... I certainly wouldnt allow any signature like those that even your moderators have! those are so HUGE I certainly would not call them signatures! Those are billboards!

User
User
Yeah, I know. The members of my forum tend to have fun with the signatures. But that's quite common in forums of its type. We have members ranging in ages from about 10 to 70, and the forums have become more of an online social gathering place for many of the members. The signatures tend to reflect the individuals' personalities.

I totally understand about the drag on the database, though. In that respect, it is better the way it is.
I can work with the members of my forums, they're a cooperative bunch.

I really appreciate the input.

-Marty
Club MOTS General Manager
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Just a thought.
Most signatures, as far as I´ve seen, were big pictures... Maybe you could set the maximun height for the profile picture to 250 pixels, or something like that, and then encourage posting the pictures there, rather than in the signatures. In the end result it wouldnt seem to take as much space.
Only thing is that though some of their pictures could easily adapt to that size, some wouldnt... but those could probably seek to renew their look.

Anyway, hope you can find a good compromise for all members to be happy.

Addict
Addict
I reached a compromise for my forum, now it just depends on if people use it. Since everyone's sig was just their vehicle specs, I added a custom profile field for "specs" and people can just go to town in there, then, I advised they just add a link in their sig for "Jeep Specs" so when they click on it the user just goes to their profile page and can see all their good info.

A few people are already using it, I know a lot won't, but even some is better than none.

Addict
Addict
I've done a hack that allows users to have several different signatures to choose from when adding posts. The hack also allows for selecting an empty signature if they want to write one specially for that post or just not have one at all. The hack can be found here

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63