Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have 6.0.1 and some of the hacks from this board, but I don't think any of them have changed the info used to email a temporary password. I have had two existing users who were unable to get a password emailed to them. I tried this on my two logins and it worked fine. I made a new login and it worked fine. The two users had simple passwords with no special characters.

The error is:

Warning: Server Error in c:\blahblah\ubbthreads\start_page.php on line 96

and can be duplicated everytime with the logins requesting password via name or email addy.

I have found a similar msaage on the infopop boards, but they adivsed to change email server name to exact host name in an older version of UBB.threads, but I can't find that in any config file in 6.0.1

I'm running this on a NT server, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This is still happening on my server. It is giving me the error on certain login names, but not all. It is doing this on a virgin install of 6.0.2 with no hacks, so it looks like there is a bug?

Is there a SMTP mail server name to configure anywhere? I can't find one.

Guru
Guru
On the login names that it's not working properly can you see anything wrong with the email address that the user has?

UBB.threads Developer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nope, valid emails. One is an aol email and I have emailed to them so I know it's valid. I deleted their email and re-entered it even, with no change.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
OK, I just changed the email addy to mine from a hotmail.com one and it works. I change it back to the user's hotmail.com addy and I get the error. I gotta go find the other login that had a aol email and try this on it too...

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yep, AOL, Hotmail, and Yahoo emails will not go through. Is the script trying to connect directly to the other email server and the refusal is generating this error? Can't this email just be sent through SMTP on my email server, or at least give a message to the user saying that their sucky email server is blocking them getting their password so I can stop getting these complaints! LOL

Guru
Guru
Basically the scripts used the PHP mail() function. This uses whatever you have setup in the php.ini file. So, it's not talking directly to the receiving mail server. Either it communicates with sendmail or your SMTP server. Unfortunately the mail function doesn't return any type of error codes that I've been able to find, so there's no real way to know if the mail was sent or not.

UBB.threads Developer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well I have my SMTP server set up in php.ini so I guess that is how it is being sent. But why is an error code being displayed then?

I've just decided to let my users know that if they put in one of the evil email addresses, then they can't get a password emailed to them and to not blame me! LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63