Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221712 07/26/2002 5:48 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
OK -
My main board is running 6.0.1 and I've always had a wierd character when you view the poll results (sort of a Y with an accent).
HERE IS WHERE IT IS NOT WORKING.

I've setup a test of 6.0.2 on the same server, using a copy of the sam database, and it works fine. HERE IS WHERE IT IS WORKING.

So I figure it must be a problem between the 2 version with either viewpoll.php or the viewpoll.tmpl file. So I run them through Beyond Compare and they are not different. So I upload the 6.0.2 version of those files to my 6.0.1 board, and the problem still exists.

I guess it'll get fixed when I upgrade, but users keep asking me what the "y" means. Is this maybe coming from somewhere else?

Anyone see this before and/or know of a quick fix. I strive for perfection. LOL (yeah right)

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Probably absolutely no help to solving it, but the character is a Latin Capital Letter Y with Acute. You can make it by typing ALT+0221. Ý The Unicode value is U+00DD.

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I did not have this problem when I was running 6.0.1, so it would seem to be speckfic to your board. I just looked at your board and see the "ÝÝÝ" you mentioned. These characters are in the outputted html where there should be a blank line. I compaired your outputted html to what my board puts out. I would guess that somehow one of your ubbt files has gotten this "ÝÝÝ" inserted by mistake. Try doing a FIND for "ÝÝÝ" or just "Ý" for all the files in your ubbt directory and see where it is located. I doubt the "Ý" character is suposed to be in any of the files, so when you find it, you can compaire that file to the original file that came in the distribution. Perhaps you might need to FIND the alt+ character code, but I would think the "Ý" character is actually in a file somewhere because that is how it is being sent in the outputted html. Hope this helps

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks Lisa, Thanks Aglavalin

I'll search the files. I had compared the templates...so it's got to be in one of the .php files.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Something else that I thought of, could that table in your database be corrupt?

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I had wondered that.
But the same poll in a copy of the database doesn't do it. Maybe the next upgrade will fix the problem. I can't seem to find that character in any of the logical files.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Did you check EVERY file in ubbt? I would just to find where it is at. If it does not show up, then it must be in the database.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't seem to find the Y` character in any file... but I had trouble duplicating it on my Mac.
It's odd that it doesn't do it with 6.0.2 (using a dump of my database)... so it's got to be in one of the files... I just probably can't search for it correctly on my mac.

Time will tell when I upgrade (waiting for 6.1).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Addict
Addict
Another possibility is that a variable being printed has the wrong data in it. For example, a variable containing an integer is being printed as if it contained text.

If that's the case, you wouldn't find it by searching for text. You would need to locate the place in the code where the garbage is being printed, and do some debugging.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63