Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by Gardener:
Yeah, I saw that too, don't know why it's like that. Span should work OK with mozilla. Is there a doctype in the html-page inside the iframe?

Why not have the iframe start next to the outer border instead, utilizing all area inside the box?

I went through and made all of the html in the shoutdisplaypal.php script XHTML 1.0 compliant. When I put the correct doctype in it causes the iframe to include a scroll bar accross the bottom. Any ideas why this would happen or how to get around it? This was happening in IE but I just finished installing Mozilla 1.1 and will check that too.

Just checked. Must be an IE related issue. Looks fine in Mozilla 1.1 here.

I'll be keeping the doctype in as it's a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Can't help you with MSIE, but it does look good in Mozilla 1.1 Linux now. Looks good with Opera 5 for Linux as well, although the width of the columns on the page is a bit strange. The right column is wider than the middle one and the middle column is just a bit wider than the left column.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Opera for windows is the same. I think it's because I'm using a percentage in the width of the iframe but I could be wrong. Mozilla and IE are adjusting and Opera flips out. LoL I will be making the frame size a configureable option based on browsers used to compinsate for this.

Ok, moving this here...... Dave, yes.... I am using the current beta of threads..... 6.1b1

Some people read their stars..... I choose to write my own
Addict
Addict
I had the same problem as you. For some reason the index page sometimes doesn't recgonize me as logged on, eventhough I logged on and checked "remember me" or whatever. But if I go back and forth from main index to entrance it will then remember me. Its weird.

Sponsored Links
hmmmm Well, I'll try going back and forth for grins....

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Are you the "main admin". That is, your usernumber should be 2. In the database it is under U_Number 2. If not your the second "main admin" that isn't U_Number 2. That is not good. lol

ummmmmm Ok... Well, my birthday is tomorrow and maybe I'm feeling old?? I was using the account I always use which is an admin but not the original main one.... 'tis working now..... Goin' to the stooooopid corner.....

Thanks!!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
lol whew! good to hear. I had originally thought that this should only be accessable by the person that actually controls how the site looks and therefor didn't want just any admin accessing it.

*L* Came outta the corner to read this.... *L* Hey, I do have a display problem with pics.... The people on there love to see their pics on the index page.... It's making them full size instead of thumbnails... Is there a setting somewhere or should I dig into the code to fix this? BTW, thanks for the awesome work!!

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
What box is doing this? Random Profile or the News? I don't think anything else displays pictures. Well other than the "new user" box.

I'll see what I can find in them and get it fixed. I will be zipping up my updated files here shortly and uploading them.

Great! Well, it's the new user box and all the newsboxes that are showing the pics.... I went ahead and turned the pic display option off for now.... Man this is great.....

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
One of the problems, well not so much a problem but it could be, was that if the picture sizes were not in the database I was accessing the file and reading the size. Each picture was 2 disk seeks... one to see if it exists and one to get the info. This is just not a good way of handling it. If the sizes are not in the database they will be defaulted to what ever the $theme sizes are set to in your theme.inc.php file.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Actually I guess I'll zip them up in the morning... err... later in the morning that is... I'm to tired to do any more... lol

*LOL* Can't say I blame ya man....... Take a break!!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok here's an updated zip file. All of the fixes have been included that I have listed in the main post of this thread. I also tossed in another piece of 5.0 but it's an earlier version with the language not seperated. It's called "Profile Index" and allows browsing of the profiles more easily. There are some new configureable options needing to be set too so bring up the online configure panel and set them.

Just a note, if your searching IP addresses with the profile index you need to place a wildcard * in place of . so you would be looking for something like 209*38*40* Hope that made sense.

Alot of this stuff just got better when I went to templates as I went through it all with a fine tooth comb but there may still be bugs I missed and having this older version getting some real use will help find any others.

Download the file. Unzip and upload all files with the exception of configpal.php (if your updating 4.6 that is) and then load the online configure panel and update the new settings and enjoy.

I'm headed north for a few hours. If you find bugs please do post them. I'll kill them when I get back.
Attachments
55391-IIP.4.6.2.zip (0 Bytes, 9 downloads)

Last edited by JustDave; 08/31/2002 9:35 AM.
No bugs found yet...... Pics are working perfect now...... Thanks!!!!!

Power User
Power User
I updated and now the config page isnt saving my variables.

I overwrote all files except configpal (didnt edit a thing) and tried to set the variables.

now when i go to the variable page, all the variables are blank, at the top of the page it says
To view the INITIAL SETUP box please click here.

the initial setup page is blank as well. Ive tried setting them on both pages, they wont save

Power User
Power User
sorry, when i click the
To view the INITIAL SETUP box please click here. link and use that page I can set the variables and they stick

If I use the first page it wipes out the variables i set

Also, my Onlinepal is displaying a lot of extra comma's
[]90 members (articuno, esten, michael, Dthunder, Grass, mattman1, Leonhart54, Supreme_trader2002, bulbaT, mazakala, KingdraSummoned, paradoxbros, B-UTTERFREE, []NIGHT_@NGEL[/], charizardstikitorch, VVonTonMan, spiveyman, erik7k2, CrazyWolf, dairyman80631, , , , , , , , , , ...more) and 12 guests have been online with in the last 10 minutes.

I have it set to display 20, which it's doing

Its running even faster now all around. SWEET!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
yep I forgot about having it skip the comas too... wil fix.

Dave, using the latest MSIE on a Mac, the word wrapping's wrong on the shoutbox unless I reload. It fouls again everytime I've added a shout. I'll attach screenshots

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That latest relese is XHTML compliant but I do have it leaving the doctype out becase it caused IE to include a scroll bar at the bottom of the iframe.

The doctype is only pulled for IE. Other browsers such as Mozilla get it included in the page when viewed.

It's hard for me to fix things or try to figure them out for systems I don't have so I'm not sure what to tell you about the shout box. It's standards compliant. Should work.?

I should make that more clear, the actual page the shouts are on is compliant. The pal that creates the iframe and loads it isn't.

That's screwed up. The 'attach a file' and the 'preview your post' are both accomplished via the same page, but you can't BOTH edit AND attach. That's totally unintuitive.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
updated to 4.6.2 here... looks nice Dave, and thanks for the new additions and xhtml, you rock

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Your welcome

I think I'll get the Picture Post thingie in too and just call this 5.0 LoL Then I wont feel bad for calling what I'm working on next 6.0 and there's a bunch more features in 6.0 so there's definately more to look forward to..

I have debated on going through all of these and making them xhtml compliant. It's not that hard really. I just hate the idea of covering ground already covered in 6.0

Edit Note: Any major problems during the upgrade that can be made easier to deal with?

Last edited by JustDave; 08/31/2002 3:23 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
only if you are running 6.0.3 I had to comment out the version check

The one thing about doing the xhtml will be that there should be less support questions regarding it not looking right in different browsers (Mac/IE, Moz, etc.) You'll be sure it's not a table tag or form tag in the wrong place.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Yes I am looking forward to getting away from nonstandards code.

I remember my iframe not being compliant when I was putting the templates together. If I can talk my wife or daughter into forcefeeding me coffee all night I may run through everything in this version and make it xhtml compliant.

(one less stray variable in the mix) lol

Okay just a little bug. Not any big deal. I added the entrance links to registered and unregistered templates. It points to $config('homeurl') well this results in the following

http://www.yourdomain.com/index.php?Cat=

There is nowhere I see to change this? what file?

Hiya Omega,

There's a couple of files you need to change.

ubbt_registerednav.tmpl is the first one. Look for this line:

<a href = "{$config['homeurl']}/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Entrance</a>
|

And change the /index.php part to /ubbthreads/index.php (note) the ubbthreads would be the directory your main install is in.

The next file is ubbt_unregisterednav.tmpl and you will want to do the exact same thing there with it. That should fix things up for you.....

Okay Dokie.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]Yes I am looking forward to getting away from nonstandards code.

I remember my iframe not being compliant when I was putting the templates together. If I can talk my wife or daughter into forcefeeding me coffee all night I may run through everything in this version and make it xhtml compliant.

(one less stray variable in the mix) lol

global search and replace with ultra edit would have it done in an hour or less Make the search case-sensitive

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I have considered using global search and replace with dreamweaver mx but I didn't want to change any variables that my match what I'm replacing... lol

I'm about half done with the index page itself... the pages in the menu box will be last...

Power User
Power User
i added a little script into my generic header I call a "Member Locator" that hits your profilepal

My members are raving!! At last they have a way to find a member without having to search through posts to get to their profile so that they can add them to their address book, etc..
http://www.pokemon-trading-cards.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
(its in the red nav down the left of the page)

Last edited by webwolfe; 08/31/2002 7:30 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Looks good

Nice external implimentation too!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by Gardener:
Can't help you with MSIE, but it does look good in Mozilla 1.1 Linux now. Looks good with Opera 5 for Linux as well, although the width of the columns on the page is a bit strange. The right column is wider than the middle one and the middle column is just a bit wider than the left column.

I was wondering if the text size at my test site was large too? If not then perhaps it's a .css problem. The text is being wrapped with <span class="small"></span> so perhaps there is something different being done here?

Addict
Addict
No, at your site it looks perfect. Tiny font size (maybe even to tiny =]) and alternating background color.

Power User
Power User
verified this here on threads.dev.com

when you go to the profile index page the
Add to Address book
are both broke

the Show All Posts button on my site is broke, here it seems to just show recent posts (from everyone, not just the members posts)

I just searched for your profile JustDave and clicked send PM.. the pm it tried to send to was
code:
<span class=standouttext>JustDave</span>

i can only duplicate this < span> error if I go to the profile index, use it to search for a member, then click send pm

Last edited by webwolfe; 08/31/2002 9:02 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I know what's causing it... will fix.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by AllenAyres:

The one thing about doing the xhtml will be that there should be less support questions regarding it not looking right in different browsers (Mac/IE, Moz, etc.) You'll be sure it's not a table tag or form tag in the wrong place.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.chattersonline.com/test/index.php?Cat=

Edit Note: The pages in the menu box are still not valid... but soon.

Edit Note 2: They are now.

Last edited by JustDave; 09/01/2002 2:06 AM.
Dave, makes sense to me; hey, I'm not complaining, I'm just adding my report to your mix so if/when you start hearing from mac/msie people it won't be a surprise...you can say "Oh, right...THAT problem"

Weird that it always looks right on a reload.

Even weirder that it doesn't just wrap wrong after I've shouted...it also looks wrong on new visits to the page.

Who knows...

JIM

posted by JustDave:
That latest relese is XHTML compliant but I do have it leaving the doctype out becase it caused IE to include a scroll bar at the bottom of the iframe.

The doctype is only pulled for IE. Other browsers such as Mozilla get it included in the page when viewed.

It's hard for me to fix things or try to figure them out for systems I don't have so I'm not sure what to tell you about the shout box. It's standards compliant. Should work.?

I should make that more clear, the actual page the shouts are on is compliant. The pal that creates the iframe and loads it isn't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63