Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
Ok... What I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY like to do, is be able to include photopost thumbnails in posts in UBBT.

There are various ways I can think of doing this, but as my PHP knowledge is not entirely dissimilar to 'none', I don't know if any of them are possible.

At the moment, the only way I can do it is to put the thumbnail URL in an image tag, and copy and paste the URL to the larger image manually. It's all very time consuming, largely because there's no links to thumbnail pictures anywhere in photopost, so it involves looking at the source code to find the location.

What I'm thinking, is that you could have a 'Photopost' button in the instant UBB code.
When you click it, a javascript box appears, asking you for the larger image. You copy and pase the url for the larger image you want, from the thumbnail on a Photopost page.
The cleverly designed hack then looks at the Photopost database, and grabs the correct location of the thumbnail image.
It then conveniently places the thumbnail image in the post, and links to the larger image url you gave it.

Plausible?

Of course, you could go all out and show a page of all the user's thumbnails like gremlins, and let them choose images to put in, but that'd probably be difficult. Also, I'd still want to be able to put thumbnails in my posts that belonged to other users.

Many many uses for this, but on my site we have events that we go to and take photos of. The photos end up in the gallery, but I really need to make a specific page for each event, with a bit of information about it, and of course the images. This way, I wouldn't have to worry about designing the page, I could just create them all as posts and link to them from wherever I want in the site. As another upshot, people who may not have clicked the 'forum' link would then be inadvertantly taken to it, which may spark enough interest for them to register and look around.

What d'ya reakon?

Sponsored Links
Ummmm anything is plausible. But how much demand for this hack because this is pretty in depth.

The way I see this working is if you find an image that you like in PhotoPost you click a link to include it in a new UBB.Threads Post.

When you select that option it brings you to addpost.php and inserts (with a little javascript) an img tag to call the thumbnail with a link to the full size image in Photopost.

Sound similar to your suggestion?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've got no idea how to make it work.. but with some scripting you could specify the photo by it's number in the photo post database.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've seen this in a popular bodybuilding site running vb, how do they do it? I think the url is www.elitefitness.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ok, nevermind. I am pretty sure they don't use photopost there. it's some "gallery" script they made for themselves. You have to be a paid member to view file attachments - but the idea should be the same

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Ok.....

It is possible to imbed the image into a post with a link to the original file in PhotoPost.

Using
code:

[URL=http://www.somewebsite.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=529][imagetag]http://urltoimage.com/data/x/thumb.gig[/imagetag][url]

I just had to make sure

Now I just need to add a link to PhotoPost that will submit the information to a new post(in a specified forum) in UBB.Threads.

User
User
Actually, I don't think that having a link from Photopost would be the best way to do it, because then you can only add one photo to a post. I'd like to be able to write a post, and add say 20 or 30 image thumbnails to it.

The code that you've entered above Casper, is the way I'm doing it at the moment... the problem is that in order to get the url to the image (i.e. data/x/thumbnail.jpg) you need to look at the page the thumbnail is contained on, view the source, and scour through it looking for the correct url.
Would there be any information in the PP database, that associates the showphoto number, with a thumbnail?

No there is no information in the PP Database for the thumbnail image.

PP takes the image name and renames it to the thumbnail name on the fly.

My suggestion:

Use a PP catagory to display 20 or 30 thumbnail. Then in UBB.Threads create a new post with a URL to the catagory.

It would be pretty scary if a site would allow their users to add 20 images to one post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63